Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby TheTrith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:38 am

Already reports out of Colorado that Hawkins is likely not the every day closer.
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=891799 ... nteed-role
Colorado Rockies owner Dick Monfort said RP LaTroy Hawkins isn't necessarily the "everyday" closer this season. RP Rex Brothers could be used if a group of lefties is due up in the ninth inning in a save situation. - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=891799 ... PJl8C.dpuf

Definitely a situation to monitor, and likely a situation to avoid for the time being.
Unless your league also counts holds that is, in which case Brothers is a much better option imo.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 am

TheTrith wrote:Already reports out of Colorado that Hawkins is likely not the every day closer.
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=891799 ... nteed-role
Colorado Rockies owner Dick Monfort said RP LaTroy Hawkins isn't necessarily the "everyday" closer this season. RP Rex Brothers could be used if a group of lefties is due up in the ninth inning in a save situation. - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=891799 ... PJl8C.dpuf

Definitely a situation to monitor, and likely a situation to avoid for the time being.
Unless your league also counts holds that is, in which case Brothers is a much better option imo.

Yes, Brothers is the better arm.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Garry26 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Good to see this thread back.
Thanks havock!

The New York Mets have signed Kyle Farmsworth and Valverde to minor league deals. So there's a chance they may compete for the job.

Also, of note: According to what I've read, S. Yoon is trying to come in an as SP.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

So who's diving head on into the Rangers situation or totally avoiding it? In my league we count holds and saves the same value. So good value will come out of the situation. Who would you guys target first out of Feliz, Soria and Scheppers? I really like Feliz to bounce back in the closers role personally. Hearing that he's hitting 98 is really exciting. I think I could take the gamble on Feliz as a #3 RP behind Holland and Rosenthal and feel comfortable going into the season. If he holds down the closers job or if he's setting up someone else. Good value should follow. ;-D
Philly_05
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 461)

Postby TheTrith » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:25 pm

No question Id take Feliz first. Easily the most talented arm of the 3.
In SV+HLD leagues its even more of a no doubter to take Feliz, since worst case is he will still get holds and provide solid K's

edit - did not realize that Feliz' K rate has been so underwhelming the past few years in MLB. Im assuming that the injury was bothering him for a while and that he's able to get closer to his 2009/2010 #'s, above 9K/9
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:11 pm

From what I witnessed when Feliz tried to stretch out his arm for a rotation bid before the 2011 season but then returned to the bullpen he seemed to lose his control. He looked really wild and I remember thinking "uh oh". Prior to that he could throw 98-101 on the gun in Arlington with pretty decent control. He seemed to have to dial it back a bit in 2011 to have any control, so his fastball was running in the mid 90's instead of the upper 90's most of the time. I didn't hear official reports of an injury but it was pretty obvious to someone that's watched him since the first time he pitched for the Rangers that something didn't look right. So I think that potentially explains his lower k/9 that year.

Whether that potential dead-arm or whatever that was lead to him questioning himself a bit - there were some rumors late in the season about whether he had the mental makeup to be a closer or not and then him supposedly telling Wash he "didn't have it" to go back out and close out WS Game 6 - I have no idea.

Of course the next year they moved him to the rotation and his control was still worse than you'd expect and then he got injured. If he's really back to what he was, throwing 98+ with control, then he's got the most talent in the Rangers pen. However depending on what they think of where he is mentally they might choose to use him in the fireman role even if he's 100% instead of putting him back in the closer role. Especially if they feel comfortable with Soria or Scheppers. I still think Feliz has the highest potential, though if I had to bet on one of them today I'd probably bet on Soria to get the most saves.

That said, it is Wash so who really knows. For sure he seems to like defined roles on the bullpen so I think one of those 3 will open with the job his to lose instead of some sort of closer committee. In my mind that makes buying any or all of these more attractive - since by early in the year you could drop the ones that don't get the job instead of having to hold 2-3 guys in your starting roster in order to get the saves from 1 team.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:17 pm

...and those of you that get into average velocity data might want to check Feliz's 2009-2012 velocities. The post above was strictly from my observations. And I tend to have a beer or two at the ballpark. :-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Is John Axford really going to be the guy in Cleveland?

I don't trust him. But he seems to have the job. The Indians seemed dead set in not giving Allen the shot going into the season it seems. I would prefer to see Allen with the job for fantasy reasons.
Last edited by Philly_05 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philly_05
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 461)

Postby chargerss24 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Is Fernando Rodney going to be the guy now in Seattle, or will Danny Farquhar wrest back the job from him sometime during the season?
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24