Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Pro Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Pro Leagues

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm always short on speed, I do need to work on that. I intended on getting Ellsbury, but he went for $37 I think, more than I was willing to pay. Trumbo for $23 is a lot, I know, but he came up somewhat late and I was $16 ahead of my expected so I dropped the extra $5 on him.

I actually have Jesse Crain on my team, so maybe that will give me a good shot at another closer when he's healthy, but you are right, these guys were definitely on to the closer thing, I'm just hoping my two can keep me in the mix while my starting pitching puts up big numbers in the other categories.

Thanks for the comments, it's tough to judge someone else's team so I appreciate it. For example, you couldn't possibly know I love Belt/A. Hill/Trumbo as much as I do, so it's good to hear maybe they aren't perfect so I can tone it down a bit on those guys.

Goldtop- Yes, a $20. 4 guys in this league have been in almost all of the weekend night drafts since February.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 pm

$20 auction starting in two hours, one spot left and I'm in it if someone else wants to try and jump in that would be cool. I'll see if I can do better this time thanks to advice/tips on here. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheTrith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:54 pm

rjforlife wrote:12 Team Roto, Standard Categories. Here's the squad.

C- Lucroy- $10 I love the value on Lucroy. Less than half the price of Posey for 80% of the production with upside for more.
1B- Belt- $7 plenty of room for big profit at this price. if the grip change really was the reason for his 2nd half surge, then Belt could jump into the top 12 1B this year
2B- A. Hill- $11 I have him projected for almost exactly this price, but at only ~140 games. if he stays healthy this could be a bargain.
3B- Encarnacion- $33 very nice, wish I would have landed him in my auction at this price
SS- Andrus- $18 exactly what I have him projected at, good base for R/SB
OF- Puig- $25 first one I dont like, but thats more of me being a Puig hater and expecting serious regression than anyhting else. the price you paid is actually fair and in line with most projections
OF- Stanton- $29 Id really prefer to spend the $30 on a 4 or 5 cat player (Kipnis, Ells, Wright, Gomez,). Will need Stanton to stay healthy but the ceiling is enormous if he does
OF- Trumbo- $23 cant ignore the power potential. but that average, ugh. I would hope to pay no more than $20 for Trumbo, but 23 could return some profit.
Util- Bourn- $6 great deal, if he runs even close to as much as he did in prior years this will be a steal. if not, well you have the chips to trade for stolen bases.
Util- Rasmus- $1 love Rasmus for a buck! my favorite "breakout" player to go 30/100 out of nowhere

BN-Gattis- $1 great bench piece for a buck. will alow you to reach max games at C, and provide power as a an OF/UT fill in
BN- Springer- $1 Hes my #1 prospect target in redrafts, could return HUGE profit if he does even 50% of what his MiLB track record says hes capable of. Was bummed he went for $3 bucks in mine when I only had 5 bucks left and 3 spots to fill

SP- Felix- $26
SP- Scherzer- $27 good deals on both Felix and Scherzer - they each went for a lot more in the one I did.
SP- Tanaka- $12 I like it
SP- Dickey- $3 I like him bounce back close to his career averages
SP- Liriano- $4
SP- Wheeler- $1 nice!
RP- Grilli- $10 Not a bad price by any means, but i really think you should handcuff Grilli with Melancon 100% of the time. not only provides insurance but will also help stabilize your ratios overall' Grillis age + recent arm problems scare me.
RP- Frieri- $8 I have no problem paying this much for Frieri. went for 9 in mine. one of the very few RP who has a legit shot at 100Ks

BN- Archer- $2 cant believe you got him this cheap
BN- Kazmir-$1 Im a big believer in Kazmir in Oakland
BN- Taijuan Walker- $1 Im pretty concerned about his arm problem, but for $1 theres only profit to be made

Overall I think you killed it. Great power, and still have plenty of speed with Andrus/Bourn
This team will be great if you avoid the bad luck with long term injuries to the Stantons, E5s, Hill.

I like your pitching staff. Your top 3 should provide 600+ spectacular innings and you have enough depth to start teh rest of the guys in favorable matchups and hopefully avoid blowups.
Ratios might be a bit of a problem if you allocate too many innigs to the bottom guys, but you should crush Ks and have above average wins.
With such a low inning cap (1400) I think you might eventually be better off to drop/trade 1 or 2 SP and replace them with a couple high K MR's, preferably ones with a shot at saves.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks for the input Trith, overall I am pleased with this team. I ran it through 2 draft tracker programs and it came out 1st in one and 2nd in the other so I like that.

I still don't know what to do about closers in this setup and my league today at 3 pm was cancelled so I have $20 credit to use once I figure out how to really firm up my plans. The input on here helps, both positive and negative, I do appreciate it.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 am

12 Team- Roto

C- Lucroy- $8
1B- Encarnacion- $36
2B- A. Hill- $10
3B- Seager- $5
SS- Andrus- $18
OF- Marte- $21
OF- Stanton- $24
OF- Bautista- $20
Util- Cuddyer- $8
Util- Rasmus- $3

BN- Moss- $1
BN- Springer- $1
BN- Carter- $1

SP- Darvish- $34
SP- Sale- $25
SP- Cole- $11
SP- AJ Burnett- $3
SP- Dickey- $5
SP- CJ Wilson- $3
RP- Romo- $12
RP- Cishek- $8

BN- Ubaldo- $1
BN- Ross- $1

Overall I think this team is better than the last. I got bargains on Lucroy/Seager/Stanton/Bautista/Sale, and Cole bigtime.

Also, my $1 guys are solid again.

This is my last one of these, they just take too long and my bigger money leagues are coming up but I just wanted to throw this last one up for people to look at and maybe comment on if they like.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheTrith » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:09 am

Wow that is a sick team rj.
Im amazed that Cole went for only 11!
Your entire OF + UT is a huge discount as well.
Really like you strategy with SP. 2 aces and several bargains seems to be the way to go.
If this team doesnt crack 100 roto points I will be pretty surprised.

btw just noticed this from the auction I did the other day... same owner bough both Trout and MCab. interesting strategy

Budget $260
1. (3) Mike Trout (LAA - OF) $61
2. (7) Miguel Cabrera (Det - 3B) $61
3. (94) Mark Trumbo (Ari - 1B,OF) $16
4. (107) Starling Marte (Pit - OF) $20
5. (118) Jurickson Profar (Tex - 2B,3B,SS) $6
6. (134) Marco Estrada (Mil - SP) $5
7. (140) Leonys Martín (Tex - OF) $7
8. (148) Matt Wieters (Bal - C) $2
9. (154) Tony Cingrani (Cin - SP,RP) $7
10. (160) Jim Johnson (Oak - RP) $7
11. (162) Johnny Cueto (Cin - SP) $8
12. (173) Jered Weaver (LAA - SP) $9
13. (181) Nate Jones (CWS - RP) $4
14. (186) Jedd Gyorko (SD - 2B,3B) $9
15. (188) Lance Lynn (StL - SP) $5
16. (193) Jim Henderson (Mil - RP) $5
17. (195) Jon Lester (Bos - SP) $6
18. (206) Clay Buchholz (Bos - SP) $5
19. (209) Chris Archer (TB - SP) $3
20. (215) Daniel Murphy (NYM - 1B,2B) $4
21. (220) Ryan Howard (Phi - 1B) $1
22. (239) Víctor Martínez (Det - 1B) $3
23. (248) Avisail García (CWS - OF) $1
Unused $5
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:35 pm

rjforlife wrote:I'm always short on speed, I do need to work on that. I intended on getting Ellsbury, but he went for $37 I think, more than I was willing to pay. Trumbo for $23 is a lot, I know, but he came up somewhat late and I was $16 ahead of my expected so I dropped the extra $5 on him.

I actually have Jesse Crain on my team, so maybe that will give me a good shot at another closer when he's healthy, but you are right, these guys were definitely on to the closer thing, I'm just hoping my two can keep me in the mix while my starting pitching puts up big numbers in the other categories.

Thanks for the comments, it's tough to judge someone else's team so I appreciate it. For example, you couldn't possibly know I love Belt/A. Hill/Trumbo as much as I do, so it's good to hear maybe they aren't perfect so I can tone it down a bit on those guys.

Goldtop- Yes, a $20. 4 guys in this league have been in almost all of the weekend night drafts since February.

I like Brandon Belt just fine, but you should provide some insurance to go along with him.... I'm a big fan of a Moss/Lind platoon myself. Both just destroy right handed pitching, but can't hit lefties. Must starts against righties, must sits against lefties. You can add Morneau to that list of guys to platoon as well, and coors field can only help his value.

I'm ok with drafting Belt, but I would provide some sort of plan B.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Also, I'll be doing my 20 dollar auction tomorrow's night at 8pm est. still a few spots left.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:03 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Also, I'll be doing my 20 dollar auction tomorrow's night at 8pm est. still a few spots left.

What's your Yahoo name so I can see if you're in there.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 am

rjforlife wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Also, I'll be doing my 20 dollar auction tomorrow's night at 8pm est. still a few spots left.

What's your Yahoo name so I can see if you're in there.

I think it's just "Chris" and my team name on the league is "moneyball"
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers