Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Pro Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Pro Leagues

Postby TheTrith » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Yahoo Pro leagues are back with even more buy in options this year. They have $20/50/100/250 leagues:
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... eague/pro#

YPros seem like a good way to make some $ doing something thats enjoyable and which I would spend tons of time on anyway.
And honestly I look at them as just that - not necessarily "fun" leagues like those that I play with friends/family/coworkers, but more as a way to make money.

So I opened this thread to discuss strategy for these leagues and share experiences you have in them.

The first question is:
More money in H2H or Roto?
I would assume that most people on this forum have at least a small edge over the field in YPros. If they are anything like football, the competition will be really soft, at least at the20/50/100 buyin levels.
Roto seems lower variance and less luck based as far as making the money goes, since you dont have to deal with 1 week samples of luck like you do with H2H playoffs... but in my experience casual (worse) players are more likely to play H2H, while more experienced players may opt for roto. Is this a valid assumption?
Which league type do you think will have a higher ROI?
What do you guys think about the YPros in general?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Pro Leagues

Postby Ray Zorback » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:31 am

YPros seem like a good way to make some $ doing something thats enjoyable and which I would spend tons of time on anyway.

Totally agree. That's why I play them.

So far I've had 9 $20 teams, 4 in '12, 5 in '13. 7 of them roto and 2 h2h. I've cashed 6 times for total winnings of $350 on $180 investment. (1 first, 3 seconds, 2 thirds) The one 1st was in h2h.

My opinion is that on average you have 6 good players, 5 casual players and 1 idiot in every league. I like my chances. As for the difference in roto vs. h2h, I couldn't tell any difference.

Now that yahoo added a $50 level, I'm going to invest at least $250 this year.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 159)

Postby legoshoe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 am

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard you get a 1099 if you pass the reporting threshold. Something to keep in mind at the higher buy-ins.

I'm giving a $20 one a shot this year for fun. Just hoping it's a step up from Yahoo Public leagues with 6+ dead rosters by NFL training camp...
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)

Postby TheTrith » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 pm

legoshoe wrote:I don't know if this is true or not but I heard you get a 1099 if you pass the reporting threshold. Something to keep in mind at the higher buy-ins.

I'm giving a $20 one a shot this year for fun. Just hoping it's a step up from Yahoo Public leagues with 6+ dead rosters by NFL training camp...

I believe if you cash over $600 they withhold taxes and issue 1099's
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby maxrum » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 pm

TheTrith wrote:I believe if you cash over $600 they withhold taxes and issue 1099's

That's correct, for payout of $600 or more Yahoo will have to issue a 1099.

Back to the topic:
Is there much of a difference in strength of the playing field at yahoo pro leagues among different buy-ins ($20, $50, $100, $250)?
maxrum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:48 pm

I will likely give a shot at a Pro league this year, either $20 or $50. Hopefully turns out well
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby maxrum » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm

By the way, Yahoo takes a fee equal to one team entry price from the prize pool. Therefore, the "cost" of running the league is directly proportional to buy-in.

If you want to lower the variance, it's better to play 12 $20 leagues than 1 $250 league. But managing so many will be real headache. At leas in the beginning, until people start dropping off.
maxrum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:44 pm

maxrum wrote:By the way, Yahoo takes a fee equal to one team entry price from the prize pool. Therefore, the "cost" of running the league is directly proportional to buy-in.

If you want to lower the variance, it's better to play 12 $20 leagues than 1 $250 league. But managing so many will be real headache. At leas in the beginning, until people start dropping off.

That'd be a pain in the a**. If you're gonna do that, might as well just do six $50. That is a little more manageable IMO
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby maxrum » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 am

Yeah, I wish there was a more or less automated way to manage Yahoo Fantasy leagues. But my guess is that level of play in $20 leagues will be pretty bad. Probably half of the league will drop out after the first month. So, you will have to get in to the top 3 out of 6 remaining to be in the money. Pretty doable task. In the $50 leagues competition should be stiffer. So, it will require some active management.

I'm thinking to join a couple of $20 and a couple of $50. Maybe a couple of $100 as well if I don't find any interesting league in Classifieds here. I'm committed to only one so far, which I've been playing for years.

I'm still wondering what to chose for Pro leagues: H2H or Roto... What do you think?
maxrum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TheTrith » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:13 am

Signed up for my first one just now, set to draft tomorrow.
Its a $50 roto.
Wanted to get at least a few drafts in before Yahoo updates their rankings and shaves off some of the edge to be had with their current O-ranks... such as E5 at 21, Holliday at 59, Rendon in the 800's (yes eight hundreds!), etc.

Weird that fo rthe 20's they currently only have open draft slots on weekends and a couple random weekdays, while the 50's have drafts available every day (although usually only 1 time slot open).
Wonder if thats because the 50's are getting more play than the 20's right now, or if Yahoo is just trying to make more money by forcing players who want to draft ASAP to pay higher vig.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers