Return to Field of Dreams

League Chat

Moderators: sportsguy138, rvthd, Baseball Moderators

Re: League Chat

Postby Burt The Butcher » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:53 pm

1) When is the draft supposed to start?
2) Where will it be held?
3) Have all teams checked in and ready to roll?
I lost my boots in transit babe
A pile of smoking leather
Nailed a retread to my feet
and prayed for better weathe
r
Burt The Butcher
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rvthd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Burt The Butcher wrote:1) When is the draft supposed to start?

Draft was set to start on Dec 21, 2013 on this forum but I believe but 2 of the managers have not checked in. I have posted in the classifieds looking for 2 replacements but have not heard anything yet.

Sportsguy will have to decide once he returns on Friday when we can start if we don't hear anything soon. We may have to push the start date back a little.
rvthd
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Butch is you go one win or loss you can skew the standings. In that world a 10-0 domination of the standings ends up just a good as a 6-4 squeeker win. If you can all the wins and losses in category's then you give a more true picture of power rankings. After 22 weeks before playoffs the records should be totaling 220 wins or losses.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby Burt The Butcher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 am

BigLebowski wrote:Butch is you go one win or loss you can skew the standings. In that world a 10-0 domination of the standings ends up just a good as a 6-4 squeeker win. If you can all the wins and losses in category's then you give a more true picture of power rankings. After 22 weeks before playoffs the records should be totaling 220 wins or losses.

Well, you could also argue it devalues the H2H win each week. Say I win all 22 matchups, but they are all 6-4, so I have 132 categories wins. You are up and down all year, either winning 10-0 or losing 0-10. you win 14 matchups 10-0, and lose 8 matchups 0-10. You would actually be ahead of me in the standings with 140 category wins. So even though I did not lose a single weeks matchup, you would be higher in standing than I. I mean its a bit extreme example, but is a possibility.

Seems like it devalues the weekly H2H matchups.

If we want to make the standings based on yearly performance, why not just go true 5x5 Roto. Categories are scored based on full year compilation?
r
Burt The Butcher
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scorpion » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:06 pm

All I have to say to this is in real baseball games if you win by 1 run or 20 , it counts as a win.
Scorpion
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rvthd » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Burt The Butcher wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:Butch is you go one win or loss you can skew the standings. In that world a 10-0 domination of the standings ends up just a good as a 6-4 squeeker win. If you can all the wins and losses in category's then you give a more true picture of power rankings. After 22 weeks before playoffs the records should be totaling 220 wins or losses.

Well, you could also argue it devalues the H2H win each week. Say I win all 22 matchups, but they are all 6-4, so I have 132 categories wins. You are up and down all year, either winning 10-0 or losing 0-10. you win 14 matchups 10-0, and lose 8 matchups 0-10. You would actually be ahead of me in the standings with 140 category wins. So even though I did not lose a single weeks matchup, you would be higher in standing than I. I mean its a bit extreme example, but is a possibility.

Seems like it devalues the weekly H2H matchups.

If we want to make the standings based on yearly performance, why not just go true 5x5 Roto. Categories are scored based on full year compilation?

For me the main reason to not go with one win per matchup is that a manager will then only need to build a team focusing on 6 out of 10 categories. This to me is less indicative of skill and is not as challenging. In having to involve all 10 categories each week and make them count for something, it forces each team to focus on a more well balanced approach when building a roster.

If you get only 1 win per matchup then going 6-4 most weeks will get you a great record. However, counting each category where a team goes 6-4 most weeks will not have the same result.

The total won/loss record for a team will be based on the total wins or losses accumulated in each category for each H2H match.
rvthd
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Burt The Butcher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:22 pm

That it's simply an argument against H2H matchups and for a pure rotisserie scoring system bases on entire year stats...I would rather go that way
r
Burt The Butcher
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:29 pm

We all joined the league as a H2H league. If you don't want to play H2H why did you join? I prefer Roto as well, but I wanted a H2H dynasty league so I joined this one.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby Burt The Butcher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:31 pm

BigLebowski wrote:We all joined the league as a H2H league. If you don't want to play H2H why did you join? I prefer Roto as well, but I wanted a H2H dynasty league so I joined this one.

I joined to play H2H also... Weekly head to head... My point is, this format waters It down
r
Burt The Butcher
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MPhilly03 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:22 pm

rvthd wrote:
Burt The Butcher wrote:1) When is the draft supposed to start?

Draft was set to start on Dec 21, 2013 on this forum but I believe but 2 of the managers have not checked in. I have posted in the classifieds looking for 2 replacements but have not heard anything yet.

Sportsguy will have to decide once he returns on Friday when we can start if we don't hear anything soon. We may have to push the start date back a little.

Any update on the start date? Just want to make sure I don't miss anything. thanks!
MPhilly03
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

PreviousNext

Return to Field of Dreams