Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your 2013 MOST VALUABLE Player- Mike Trout

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 pm

I was reading an article and read some interesting points. What actually do we take into consideration for the true value of a player?

Cabrera won the triple crown last year. He also led the entire MLB in GIDP's, no speed and average defender at best.

Trout this year may not have the same "hitting" stats (But close) and provides run chances with his speed/sb's, also plays great defense.

Main word is VALUE. This season, Mike Trout is making 40 times less than Cabrera. Is Cabrera 40 times better than Trout? I know that's not how it is broken down but wanted to hear some thoughts....the cafe is DEAD compared to the good days. It's prime baseball time...let's see some debate!
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your 2013 MOST VALUABLE Player- Mike Trout

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm

I don't think how much money they make should even enter the conversation. If that were the case, someone making the league minimum would basically win it every year.

That said, the value put on MCab's triple crown last year was also silly. MVP should be the player with the highest individual achievement with as little regard possible for the rest of his team (whether they're a playoff team shouldn't matter). Trout's hitting+fielding+running > Mcab's hitting+fielding+running and that's all that should matter imo. Trout should be in the lead this year and should have won it last year too.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Heck without Trout the Angles would even be worse than the Astros. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby jfg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:34 pm

I know you were just throwing the monetary stuff out there for debate, but when Trout gets a record contract which he probably will that doesn't mean he's no longer MVP.

Most likely one of these guys is going to get screwed for the next 3-4 years until Cabrera starts to drop off. There's no doubt that both of these players are far and away the best two players in the league. A case could be made that they are the best players since Bonds left the game, but Pujols fans might have something to say about that. It's tough debating against either one. I'll argue for M-Cab though even though I think they're about as equal as they come despite having different makeups.

Even though Cabrera plays on a team where he can create RBI and score runs, he's still hitting .365 with 36 homeruns. I feel he'd be getting those numbers on almost any team except maybe his former one and a couple other bottom dwellers. Maybe he'd get pitched around more often on a mediocre team but most teams have at least 2 guys that would protect him in the lineup. His fielding isn't great and his speed sucks. But, does Trout's speed give him that much of an edge? Cabrera has hit 16 more homeruns than Trout. Generating his own runs at a higher level probably doesn't even out how Trout's speed has put him in scoring position but it gets him closer. His OBP is also 35 points better than Trout's so even if he's not getting to second as often as Trout, he's getting to first more...
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:38 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:I don't think how much money they make should even enter the conversation. If that were the case, someone making the league minimum would basically win it every year.

That said, the value put on MCab's triple crown last year was also silly. MVP should be the player with the highest individual achievement with as little regard possible for the rest of his team (whether they're a playoff team shouldn't matter). Trout's hitting+fielding+running > Mcab's hitting+fielding+running and that's all that should matter imo. Trout should be in the lead this year and should have won it last year too.

I agree with this 100%. It's so clear to me but the responses I get of "dude it's the triple crown, you have to give him the MVP" was making ym head explode. 3 stats do not show a true value.
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:46 am

jfg wrote:Even though Cabrera plays on a team where he can create RBI and score runs, he's still hitting .365 with 36 homeruns. I feel he'd be getting those numbers on almost any team except maybe his former one and a couple other bottom dwellers. Maybe he'd get pitched around more often on a mediocre team but most teams have at least 2 guys that would protect him in the lineup. His fielding isn't great and his speed sucks. But, does Trout's speed give him that much of an edge? Cabrera has hit 16 more homeruns than Trout. Generating his own runs at a higher level probably doesn't even out how Trout's speed has put him in scoring position but it gets him closer. His OBP is also 35 points better than Trout's so even if he's not getting to second as often as Trout, he's getting to first more...

You could also look into a few other things:
Cabrera led all of baseball in GIDP's last year with 28 (4 times as many as Trout)
Trout also had 8 triples to Cabrera's 0

This year Trout already has 8 triples compared to Cabreras 1 as well as 10 more doubles.
At this point Trout also has 9 less GIDP's this year as well.

If anything it just shows how Trouts speed helps his team where Cabrera's hurts his.
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ayebatter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:24 am

Meh he's a tick better this yr. than Carlos Gonzalez / Adam Jones / Andrew McCutchen look it up, but he's not MCab. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:38 am

Yeah, I would say you're looking at mcab, Chris Davis, then trout.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 am

Trout >> Davis

With that said I'd probably slightly lean toward MCab for this year. I would have taken Trout last year though and there is still time for me to change my mind this year too but I like MCab just a bit more this year.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:18 pm

J35J wrote:Trout >> Davis

I just don't know how you could say this. Davis is on pace for like 60 hr, 140 RBI, 115 runs, and a .300 avg. (sorry if those #s are a little off, I didn't look it up.). And I'm not sure what his ops is, but I'm sure it's astronomical.

The only argument is defense. But, Davis' offensive numbers are so much better that it just doesn't matter.

You could argue steals, but that would be a bad argument because steals are just an added skill to help you score runs and I believe Davis has more runs scores than trout.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers