Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig Watch

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:06 pm

My thoughts are I'd love to see him in the game, but my notion for what qualifies an All-Star is very different than most. I don't care if the players who had the best first half of the season are in the game or not.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 25283
(Past Year: 728)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Puig Watch

Postby TheTrith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:36 pm

"For me, the All-Star Game should go back to being an exhibition so it can be something where we could have some of the best players and If something magical is going on like Yasiel Puig, you put him in it," Mattingly said. "But the problem is they say this game matters, and it changes who gets home-field advantage in the World Series -- and to me, I don't like that."

This is Mattingly thinking about it completely backwards, just like he does everything else.

Logic says that since the game is supposedly being played for the win above all else, then the best players RIGHT NOW should be included. If the guy can help the team win, he should be on the team.
But Mattingly says a player like Puig, who is in the middle of one of the best 30 day stretches MLB has seen so far this season, should only be included in an exhibition, where the result doesn't matter one bit.

How does that make any sense? If the result doesn't matter THEN you can bring in all the vets that have nothing more to offer than their reputation.

I don't think he should even qualify for the allstar game personally. If there is not some minimum qualifier stating a player must appear in at lest X% of his teams games in order to be considered for the roster, there should be.
Great month, but a guy who plays in 35 games is not an Allstar.
Last edited by TheTrith on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 408
(Past Year: 126)
Joined: 19 Jun 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:38 pm

He's human. Injured tonight. Sounds like its just day to day
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1547
(Past Year: 47)
Joined: 8 Jun 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby mayor quimby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 pm

TheTrith wrote:
"For me, the All-Star Game should go back to being an exhibition so it can be something where we could have some of the best players and If something magical is going on like Yasiel Puig, you put him in it," Mattingly said. "But the problem is they say this game matters, and it changes who gets home-field advantage in the World Series -- and to me, I don't like that."

This is Mattingly thinking about it completely backwards, just like he does everything else.

Logic says that since the game is supposedly being played for the win above all else, then the best players RIGHT NOW should be included. If the guy can help the team win, he should be on the team.
But Mattingly says a player like Puig, who is in the middle of one of the best 30 day stretches MLB has seen so far this season, should only be included in an exhibition, where the result doesn't matter one bit.

How does that make any sense? If the result doesn't matter THEN you can bring in all the vets that have nothing more to offer than their reputation.

I don't think he should even qualify for the allstar game personally. If there is not some minimum qualifier stating a player must appear in at lest X% of his teams games in order to be considered for the roster, there should be.
Great month, but a guy who plays in 35 games is not an Allstar.



The BBWAA does not give a XXXX about all star selections. They know it's a popularity contest.


mod edit
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 389
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 17 May 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby Carnac » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 am

Do any players have clauses in their contract that offer bonuses for making the all-star game? If so, then it does matter. Don't know if that is the case.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1490
(Past Year: 156)
Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Strolling down Penny Lane

Re: Puig Watch

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:15 am

Carnac wrote:Do any players have clauses in their contract that offer bonuses for making the all-star game? If so, then it does matter. Don't know if that is the case.


there are players that get a bonus if they are selected to an all star game.

couple examples.
Curtis Granderson.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compe ... k-yankees/
award bonuses: $25,000 each for All Star

Matt Holliday.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compe ... cardinals/
$25,000 for All Star selection
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5004
(Past Year: 45)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby mac-unit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Carnac wrote:Do any players have clauses in their contract that offer bonuses for making the all-star game? If so, then it does matter. Don't know if that is the case.


That doesn't change it from being a popularity contest. Any agent won't let their client have that clause unless they had a chance to get in regardless of how well they are playing.
Image
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: Puig Watch

Postby TheTrith » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 pm

mayor quimby wrote:
TheTrith wrote:
"For me, the All-Star Game should go back to being an exhibition so it can be something where we could have some of the best players and If something magical is going on like Yasiel Puig, you put him in it," Mattingly said. "But the problem is they say this game matters, and it changes who gets home-field advantage in the World Series -- and to me, I don't like that."

This is Mattingly thinking about it completely backwards, just like he does everything else.

Logic says that since the game is supposedly being played for the win above all else, then the best players RIGHT NOW should be included. If the guy can help the team win, he should be on the team.
But Mattingly says a player like Puig, who is in the middle of one of the best 30 day stretches MLB has seen so far this season, should only be included in an exhibition, where the result doesn't matter one bit.

How does that make any sense? If the result doesn't matter THEN you can bring in all the vets that have nothing more to offer than their reputation.

I don't think he should even qualify for the allstar game personally. If there is not some minimum qualifier stating a player must appear in at lest X% of his teams games in order to be considered for the roster, there should be.
Great month, but a guy who plays in 35 games is not an Allstar.



The BBWAA does not give a XXXX about all star selections. They know it's a popularity contest.

Im not sure what the BBWAA has to do with any of that. I thought only the fans, players, and coaches were the ones who made Allstar selections.
Does the BBWAA have some Allstar Game influence I am not aware of?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 408
(Past Year: 126)
Joined: 19 Jun 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby hondo4mvp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:08 am

If Puig doesn't make the All Star team,I'm watching womens field hockey that day.

Or maybe some some Rodney Dangerfield movies for even more laughs.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 273
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 5 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby Bwanna » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Comparisons to Vlad were mentioned earlier in this thread; here's a detailed comparison, and some good highlights of a young Vlad:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692 ... r-guerrero
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5663
(Past Year: 49)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron