Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig Watch

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:17 pm

KELLYLEAK wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I'm listening to Cockroft and Karabell right now on the fantasy focus podcast and I'm tempted to turn it off because of their handling of the Puig situation. They're projecting something like 250 ABs for him over the rest of the season, calling his a "Profar situation," giving too much (IMO) credit to a scenario where he gets sent back down--- Karabell is saying he'd rather have Cameron Maybin right now.

Look, I know the guy is a rookie, but on upside alone I think he's a top ~60 player in overall value right now, and I acknowledge that a big component of that is perception/hype, but we've seen so many guys like this come up and rake in their first MLB action including a 19/20 year old Harper/Trout respectively.

I'm all for experts pouring cold water on overhyped guys who might very well be flashes in the pan, but Cockroft/Karabell are just too far behind the curve right now on Puig and I don't think I can take them seriously/even listen to the rest of today's podcast. Sorry for the ranting response but if anyone else happened to listen to fantasy focus today they'll probably understand my frustration.




Just a follow up- yahoo is reporting that Cameron Maybin, the ESPN "experts" Karabell and Cockm*nch choice over Puig, hurt his knee and will be out 4-6 weeks. If you listened to them you deserve what you get- a guy with little upside who's now hurt. If you listened to some of us touting the upside of Puig you may have hit gold. I emphasize the word "may" it's still early.

Maybin crushed in the week he was back. He suffered an unfortunate injury that has absolutely nothing to do with what the writers were suggesting. I'm not a big 'experts' guy, but this is possibly the worst example ever of trying to show their ineptitude.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 25283
(Past Year: 728)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Puig Watch

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:59 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
KELLYLEAK wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I'm listening to Cockroft and Karabell right now on the fantasy focus podcast and I'm tempted to turn it off because of their handling of the Puig situation. They're projecting something like 250 ABs for him over the rest of the season, calling his a "Profar situation," giving too much (IMO) credit to a scenario where he gets sent back down--- Karabell is saying he'd rather have Cameron Maybin right now.

Look, I know the guy is a rookie, but on upside alone I think he's a top ~60 player in overall value right now, and I acknowledge that a big component of that is perception/hype, but we've seen so many guys like this come up and rake in their first MLB action including a 19/20 year old Harper/Trout respectively.

I'm all for experts pouring cold water on overhyped guys who might very well be flashes in the pan, but Cockroft/Karabell are just too far behind the curve right now on Puig and I don't think I can take them seriously/even listen to the rest of today's podcast. Sorry for the ranting response but if anyone else happened to listen to fantasy focus today they'll probably understand my frustration.




Just a follow up- yahoo is reporting that Cameron Maybin, the ESPN "experts" Karabell and Cockm*nch choice over Puig, hurt his knee and will be out 4-6 weeks. If you listened to them you deserve what you get- a guy with little upside who's now hurt. If you listened to some of us touting the upside of Puig you may have hit gold. I emphasize the word "may" it's still early.

Maybin crushed in the week he was back. He suffered an unfortunate injury that has absolutely nothing to do with what the writers were suggesting. I'm not a big 'experts' guy, but this is possibly the worst example ever of trying to show their ineptitude.


The injury angle sure, but are you honestly saying you'd rather have had Maybin than Puig a week ago?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Pweeg not playing tonight. Sore right shoulder from throwing too many punches.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31782
(Past Year: 265)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:42 pm

wrveres wrote:Pweeg not playing tonight. Sore right shoulder from throwing too many punches.


I was not excited to see this. Puig hitting in the dodgers lineup is one of the few things I look forward to watching about the dodgers when Kershaw isn't pitching with how much their injuries have hurt them.
Image
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 778
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 pm

jefferey13 wrote:
wrveres wrote:Pweeg not playing tonight. Sore right shoulder from throwing too many punches.


I was not excited to see this. Puig hitting in the dodgers lineup is one of the few things I look forward to watching about the dodgers when Kershaw isn't pitching with how much their injuries have hurt them.

The Dodgers have it so rough.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 25283
(Past Year: 728)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Puig Watch

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 pm

wrveres wrote:Pweeg not playing tonight. Dodgers are afraid the dbacks are gonna put one in his ear.


Ftfy.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3915
(Past Year: 113)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Puig Watch

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:The Dodgers have it so rough.


I can't decide if this is sarcasm lol
Image
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 778
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby KELLYLEAK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:37 am

bigh0rt wrote:
KELLYLEAK wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I'm listening to Cockroft and Karabell right now on the fantasy focus podcast and I'm tempted to turn it off because of their handling of the Puig situation. They're projecting something like 250 ABs for him over the rest of the season, calling his a "Profar situation," giving too much (IMO) credit to a scenario where he gets sent back down--- Karabell is saying he'd rather have Cameron Maybin right now.

Look, I know the guy is a rookie, but on upside alone I think he's a top ~60 player in overall value right now, and I acknowledge that a big component of that is perception/hype, but we've seen so many guys like this come up and rake in their first MLB action including a 19/20 year old Harper/Trout respectively.

I'm all for experts pouring cold water on overhyped guys who might very well be flashes in the pan, but Cockroft/Karabell are just too far behind the curve right now on Puig and I don't think I can take them seriously/even listen to the rest of today's podcast. Sorry for the ranting response but if anyone else happened to listen to fantasy focus today they'll probably understand my frustration.




Just a follow up- yahoo is reporting that Cameron Maybin, the ESPN "experts" Karabell and Cockm*nch choice over Puig, hurt his knee and will be out 4-6 weeks. If you listened to them you deserve what you get- a guy with little upside who's now hurt. If you listened to some of us touting the upside of Puig you may have hit gold. I emphasize the word "may" it's still early.

Maybin crushed in the week he was back. He suffered an unfortunate injury that has absolutely nothing to do with what the writers were suggesting. I'm not a big 'experts' guy, but this is possibly the worst example ever of trying to show their ineptitude.




In the immortal words of Geroge Costanza "Remember Jerry it's not a lie if you believe it." Maybin's career best totals: for hr's in one season is 9. 9 freakin home runs, 45 freakin' rbis, a .264 average was the best avg he could muster. Guess what man he's all yours. Puig is a potential 5 tool player. They don't come around very often.

Worst case of expert ineptitude- bite me!!!
KELLYLEAK Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 268
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 27 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:54 pm

at least the rest of this season even when everyone is healthy Puig should get semi to regular playing time? and then next season the Dodgers almost have to some way find a way to make him an absolute everyday player, and he could potentially be a star?

I don't own Puig right now, but in a keeper league I could target him and overpay since I'm already 50 points out this season with my stupid team of underachievers and injured players.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5005
(Past Year: 46)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig Watch

Postby BChinly » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:at least the rest of this season even when everyone is healthy Puig should get semi to regular playing time? and then next season the Dodgers almost have to some way find a way to make him an absolute everyday player, and he could potentially be a star?

I don't own Puig right now, but in a keeper league I could target him and overpay since I'm already 50 points out this season with my stupid team of underachievers and injured players.


I traded Ellsbury for Puig at the beginning of the year in my 20 team 25 player dynasty league where you keep 22 players. Everyone gave me crap for it and said it was a terrible trade saying that he won't be up until 2015... I think it was a solid trade and the guy who traded Puig for Ellsbury kind of regrets it now. Especially because I was kind of in your position. Besides Ellsbury my best players were young (AJax, Brett Lawrie, Mike Minor, Butler, Adam Eaton, Skaggs, Arenado, Rutledge, ect.) Choo is my only real outlier of team age besides Ellsbury at the time.
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 457
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest