Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby IonZephyr » Wed May 15, 2013 2:17 am

rotoquest wrote:Any thoughts on buying low on Brett Anderson? He comes off the dl on friday. I've never really seen him pitch, and I don't know if his stuff is as good as the experts say.

Curious about this as well.... anyone????
My 14 team league (Redraft H2H)
C McCann
1B M.Carpenter
2B Hill
3B Beltre
SS Desmond
OF: DeAza/Moss/R.Davis
BN: Rizzo
DL: Kemp
SP: Wainwright, Kuroda, Peavy, Garza, Gallardo, Cingrani, Leake, Wacha
RP: Romo, Cishek, Frieri
IonZephyr Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:43 am

IonZephyr wrote:
rotoquest wrote:Any thoughts on buying low on Brett Anderson? He comes off the dl on friday. I've never really seen him pitch, and I don't know if his stuff is as good as the experts say.

I would. You can probably get him for almost nothing. I got him for kelvin herrera after herrera had blown up and didn't look to be in the mix for saves and before anderson hurt his ankle. when he's healthy he should put up pretty good numbers.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby cordscords » Wed May 15, 2013 3:23 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
IonZephyr wrote:

I would. You can probably get him for almost nothing. I got him for kelvin herrera after herrera had blown up and didn't look to be in the mix for saves and before anderson hurt his ankle. when he's healthy he should put up pretty good numbers.

I would as well, just depends on what you're selling. I wouldn't sell high on McClouth, for example, to buy low on Anderson. Anderson could get hurt again, and something is definitely off his game. Control is his bread and butter, and he cant find the plate. Trade a fellow underperformer, like Ichiro, for Anderson.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 15, 2013 5:53 am

abrage22 wrote:Do you think Harvey owners should be trying to sell high? If someone offered you Cain and L. Lynn for Harvey would you do it...?

In a redraft league, sure. If it's H2H Redraft, I couldn't make that move fast enough.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Re: Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby Mr November » Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 am

Ender wrote:
Mr November wrote:I'm thinking of taking advantage of Longoria's hot start and sell him before he gets hurt (again). I'm really struggling in pitching, what type of pitcher should I be looking at? Wainwright type?

I like the idea because Longoria isn't a 1st round guy even if he stays healthy. I think you have to shoot for the top and go after a Verlander though. Longo was drafted in the same area as Verlander/Kershaw and has played over his head so you have to shoot for the top.

The key things to look at is he has 0 SB so he is not going to be running anymore. He has a BABIP 70 pts higher than his career and his K% and BB% aren't better than before so while it looks like the .300+ AVG is back it is likely just a fluke. Longoria is a .280 hitting power hitter in a mediocre lineup, that isn't a 1st round guy unless he hits 40+. This version of Longoria is not worth a 1st round pick even without the injury risk involved, he just isnt' the same player he was when he came up.

I got Felix for him, so I'm happy. Tried for Verlander and Kershaw but had to "settle" for Felix. Hope this helps for anyone else wanting to move him.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Mr November
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby go tribe » Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 am

Sell Travis Wood? Anybody think its "selling high" (roto calls him the "best pitcher in baseball" this week) and if so, need a closer. Personally, I don't see him as high so having a hard time thinking someone else will. 6 K's per game aint impressive despite 2.03 ERA and low whip.
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 15, 2013 8:32 am

go tribe wrote:Sell Travis Wood? Anybody think its "selling high" (roto calls him the "best pitcher in baseball" this week) and if so, need a closer. Personally, I don't see him as high so having a hard time thinking someone else will. 6 K's per game aint impressive despite 2.03 ERA and low whip.

Travis Wood is not a good pitcher. He does not play for a good team. He does not pitch in a good park for pitchers. I would sell him immediately, if not sooner, and would gladly take a closer for him, if that's what I needed. I would be happy getting any player I didn't think I'd cut between now and the end of the season, really. I reiterate, he is not a good pitcher.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Ender » Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 am

Always sell high on Cub's pitchers in May. They play in a pitchers park in the spring and a hitters park in the summer.

Brett Anderson is not terribly valuable since his upside is like Kyle Lohse.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed May 15, 2013 10:27 am

Sell high on Patrick Corbin? No way this guy keeps this up, right?
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -19)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kab21 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:38 am

Travis wood is a solid middle of the road pitcher. 4ish ERA with a .500 record. If you can get anything decent for him then sell.

Harvey is a sell high but I would want a lot in return. Maybe someone in the top 3 rds. i will be honest though I will probably ride this season out with Harvey since I am in a dynasty where aces dominate.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers