Post coming as soon as I buy J.P. Arencibia a bigger glove ...
- Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish came within one out of perfection Tuesday before allowing a single up the middle to Marwin Gonzalez. By showing at least some level of accomplishment, Gonzalez was traded by the Astros after the game for two minor leaguers as the Astros continue their quest for a net-zero-salary roster. Darvish went on to win 25 games and every postseason award in baseball.
- Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia played an April Fool's Day prank on starting pitcher R.A. Dickey, lunging his glove out of the way as soon as Dickey's pitches crossed the plate, resulting in three passed balls. When informed that April Fool's Day was the prior day, Arencibia said, "Sure, but it's still April Fool's Day in America!" When informed that Canada actually borders the United States and that he was probably thinking of Australia, Arencibia replied stone-faced, "Oh God, what have I done?"
- Giants pitcher Madison Bumgarner outdueled K-pop singer Hyun-Jin Ryu by allowing just two hits and no walks in eight innings of work. Ryu was plagued by two errors from fill-in shortstop Justin Sellers, leading to two unearned runs. The Dodgers pitcher invited the despondent shortstop to an abandoned dojo later to show Sellers "Hadoken" and "Shoryuken," which Sellers hoped were words of encouragement and trust and not vengeful fighting moves.
- Rays pitcher Jake McGee surrendered five earned runs in the seventh inning of Tuesday's opener between the Orioles and Rays after giving up just 13 runs during the entire 2012 season, blowing ace David Price's lead in the process. McGee revealed after the game that the meltdown was intentional as he tries to take advantage of his new contract, which states he doesn't have to pitch for the rest of the year after giving up 13 runs. Manager Joe Maddon was praised for his progressive tactics with regards to the contract and use of McGee, and prognosticators predicted a 100-win season despite the setback.
- Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez both homered in the team's second game against the Brewers after both homering in the first game against the Brewers. While the teammates were pleased with getting their first win of the season, Gonzalez, who hits third, admitted to being creeped out when Tulowitzki, who hits fourth, followed him around and mimicked all of his movements in the locker room after the game, on the way back to the hotel and even during his restless dreams/nightmares. Manager Walt Weiss laughed off the incident as "Tulo being Manny."
- Diamondbacks pitcher Heath Bell continued his year-plus descent into fantasy obscurity by allowing three runs off four hits (including two home runs) while recording just one out in the D-Backs' loss to the Cardinals Tuesday. One of Bell's surrendered dingers was hit by replacement shortstop Pete Kozma, who said what an accomplishment it was to hit a home run off a pitcher as talented as Bell. When asked about Kozma after the game, Bell said that he was never that big into Seinfeld.
- And finally, the Mariners apparently beat the Athletics 7-1 on Tuesday, but since Felix Hernandez wasn't pitching for the Mariners, no eye witnesses were able to verify the accuracy of the result. Major League Baseball went ahead and accepted the score as official, figuring that the game was in Oakland, and why would the A's lie about losing to a Mariners team that didn't start the King?
Lines according to Bovada (at approx. noon ET)
2:10 ET Royals @ White Sox (O/U 7.5)
KC RHP E.Santana (+125)
CWS RHP J.Peavy (-135)
2:10 ET Rangers @ Astros (O/U 8.5)
TEX RHP A.Ogando (-190)
HOU RHP P.Humber (+170)
4:10 ET Tigers @ Twins (O/U 8.5)
DET RHP A.Sanchez (-153)
MIN RHP K.Correia (+138)
7:05 ET Marlins @ Nationals (O/U 7)
MIA RHP K.Slowey (+225)
WAS LHP G.Gonzalez (-260)
7:05 ET Cubs @ Pirates (O/U 7)
CHC RHP E.Jackson (+122)
PIT LHP W.Rodriguez (-132)
7:05 ET Indians @ Blue Jays (O/U 9)
CLE RHP U.Jimenez (+155)
TOR RHP B.Morrow (-170)
7:05 ET Red Sox @ Yankees (O/U 8)
BOS RHP C.Buchholz (+106)
NYY RHP H.Kuroda (-116)
7:10 ET Padres @ Mets (O/U 7)
SD LHP C.Richard (+130)
NYM RHP M.Harvey (-140)
7:10 ET Phillies @ Braves (O/U 7)
PHI RHP R.Halladay (+125)
ATL LHP P.Maholm (-135)
7:10 ET Orioles @ Rays (O/U 7)
BAL LHP W.Chen (+122)
TB RHP J.Hellickson (-132)
7:10 ET Angels @ Reds (O/U 7)
LAA LHP C.Wilson (+116)
CIN RHP M.Latos (-126)
8:10 ET Rockies @ Brewers (O/U 8.5)
COL RHP J.Nicasio (+122)
MIL RHP W.Peralta (-132)
9:40 ET Cardinals @ Diamondbacks (O/U 9)
STL RHP L.Lynn (+102)
ARI RHP B.McCarthy (-112)
10:05 ET Mariners @ Athletics (O/U 7.5)
SEA LHP J.Saunders (+137)
OAK LHP T.Milone (-152)
10:10 ET Giants @ Dodgers (O/U 7)
SF RHP T.Lincecum (+113)
LAD RHP J.Beckett (-123)
Last edited by daullaz on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.