Page 1 of 4

Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:36 pm
by SpecialFNK
reports are that the Yankees are in trade talks for Vernon Wells, and it's close.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Yankees are in trade talks with the Angels regarding Vernon Wells and a deal "could be done today."
Passan adds that "lots of money would go back to New York" in the deal, which, of course, is a given with Wells having $42 million left on his contract. Wells has a full no-trade clause and has embraced a backup role with the Angels, but perhaps he'd be willing to waive it for what would be an uptick in playing time. The 34-year-old would figure to play pretty regularly in left field until Curtis Granderson returns. Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 over the last two seasons.


prior to this news I would think the OF would be/would have been.. Boesch/Gardner/Ichiro, with Granderson on the sidelines with an injury. once Granderson returns that OF changes to.. Granderson/Gardner/Ichiro.
how does Wells to the Yankees change this? would Wells start on a regular basis over newly signed Brennan Boesch? once Granderson returns Wells moves back to a bench role, same as he has now with the Angles. he might even have a better chance at playing time if he stays in LA, where his only competition is Bourjos. Bourjos wasn't exactly much good last season, meaning Wells could even potentially take over for Bourjos full time if he struggles again.

as for Wells. I don't think he is a bad option if he can get regular playing time.
yes the last years hs AVG has been BAD. .230 AVG in 2012, and .218 AVG in 2011. but he has also had bad BABIP. .226 in 2012, and .214 in 2011.
his LD rate in 2012 wasn't too bad, 15.7 (compared to 12.3 in 2011).
his K rate has been decent/good. 13.4 in 2012, and 16.3 in 2011.
his BB rate hasn't been that good though. 6.1% in 2012, and 3.8 in 2011.
his contact rate has been good. 85.6 in 2012, and 81.3 in 2011.

expectations/projections for Wells if he goes to the Yankees?

personally I drafted Wells in a deep 6 team league for my bench, because I already drafted Bourjos.

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 pm
by Skin Blues
So it seems like a done deal pending league approval and a physical. How does this work luxury tax-wise? Only the amount they pay him counts towards their limit, right?

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 pm
by MetsGoon
Skin Blues wrote:So it seems like a done deal pending league approval and a physical. How does this work luxury tax-wise? Only the amount they pay him counts towards their limit, right?


exactly, and im assuming its going to be $10 mil or less

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:43 pm
by SpecialFNK
I don't know how it works for the tax. I assume only what portion of the salary the Yankees are paying is what goes towards their tax.

I don't understand why the Yankees would even do this. Boesch is good enough, especially since he only has to play until Granderson returns.

just throwing this out there. would the Yankees have any knowledge whether Granderson could indeed be connected to a PED suspension? maybe if they know something that can't be announced yet, that would make them want to bring in another OF who could play longer.

Wells might have some fantasy value even in a standard league if he can play full time until Granderson returns.

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm
by kab21
SpecialFNK wrote:reports are that the Yankees are in trade talks for Vernon Wells, and it's close.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Yankees are in trade talks with the Angels regarding Vernon Wells and a deal "could be done today."
Passan adds that "lots of money would go back to New York" in the deal, which, of course, is a given with Wells having $42 million left on his contract. Wells has a full no-trade clause and has embraced a backup role with the Angels, but perhaps he'd be willing to waive it for what would be an uptick in playing time. The 34-year-old would figure to play pretty regularly in left field until Curtis Granderson returns. Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 over the last two seasons.


prior to this news I would think the OF would be/would have been.. Boesch/Gardner/Ichiro, with Granderson on the sidelines with an injury. once Granderson returns that OF changes to.. Granderson/Gardner/Ichiro.
how does Wells to the Yankees change this? would Wells start on a regular basis over newly signed Brennan Boesch? once Granderson returns Wells moves back to a bench role, same as he has now with the Angles. he might even have a better chance at playing time if he stays in LA, where his only competition is Bourjos. Bourjos wasn't exactly much good last season, meaning Wells could even potentially take over for Bourjos full time if he struggles again.

as for Wells. I don't think he is a bad option if he can get regular playing time.
yes the last years hs AVG has been BAD. .230 AVG in 2012, and .218 AVG in 2011. but he has also had bad BABIP. .226 in 2012, and .214 in 2011.
his LD rate in 2012 wasn't too bad, 15.7 (compared to 12.3 in 2011).
his K rate has been decent/good. 13.4 in 2012, and 16.3 in 2011.
his BB rate hasn't been that good though. 6.1% in 2012, and 3.8 in 2011.
his contact rate has been good. 85.6 in 2012, and 81.3 in 2011.

expectations/projections for Wells if he goes to the Yankees?

personally I drafted Wells in a deep 6 team league for my bench, because I already drafted Bourjos.


Nice attempt at a positive spin. He might be good enough to be rostered while Granderson is out but I don't think there is enough playing time to interest me unless it's a 20+ tm league. And even then I'm skeptical.

FWIW - his LD rate might have improved but it still would have ranked 2nd to last among qualified MLB'ers.

I'm surprised the Angels were able to get the Yankees to pick up 13M of the salary out of 42M. There's no way he gets that in FA.

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 pm
by Ender
Wells is still worthless, Boesch loses some value.

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm
by bigh0rt
Maybe next the Giants can send Barry Zito to the Yanks. Apparently they're trying to take on every one of the most overpaid schlubs in the game.

I am loving every second of this.

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 pm
by GiantsFan14
bigh0rt wrote:Maybe next the Giants can send Barry Zito to the Yanks. Apparently they're trying to take on every one of the most overpaid schlubs in the game.

I am loving every second of this.


Barry Zito deserves every penny of his contract.

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 pm
by Ender
GiantsFan14 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Maybe next the Giants can send Barry Zito to the Yanks. Apparently they're trying to take on every one of the most overpaid schlubs in the game.

I am loving every second of this.


Barry Zito deserves every penny of his contract.


I'm guessing you mean this because they won 2 world series despite him? Nothing he has done suggests he deserves that contract in a situation that is as easy to pitch in as Petco.

Re: Vernon Wells, to the Yankees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:56 pm
by GiantsFan14
Ender wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Maybe next the Giants can send Barry Zito to the Yanks. Apparently they're trying to take on every one of the most overpaid schlubs in the game.

I am loving every second of this.


Barry Zito deserves every penny of his contract.


I'm guessing you mean this because they won 2 world series despite him? Nothing he has done suggests he deserves that contract in a situation that is as easy to pitch in as Petco.


Uh, are you forgetting the clutch Game 5 of the NLCS and his win vs Verlander in the WS? The Giants won the last 14 games he started last year!