Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dynasty Trade - Carlos Santana/Travis D'Arnaud

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Trade - Carlos Santana/Travis D'Arnaud

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:29 am

This is a 20 team dynasty league, $120 hard cap. 25 man MLB roster + 15 man MiLB roster. So pretty ridiculously deep.
With Kemp, Beltre, Castro, and Fielder anchoring the lineup my team is in contention to win now, and is probably one of the top 5 teams.

The owner of a rebuilding team just offered his Carlos Santana (4 yrs/$10) + Addison Russel (6 yrs/$1)
for my Nelson Cruz (2 yrs/$8) + Travis D'Arnaud (5yrs/$1). So cap space is basically a wash for this year and next year.

If I make the trade my OF would be Kemp + Victorino + Cuddyer/R.Davis.
If I stand pat my catcher situation is John Buck starting until D'Arnaud gets the call.
So basically do I have a better shot to win with Santana at catcher + Cuddyer/scrub at OF3
or with Buck/D'Arnaud at catcher and Cruz at OF3.

My main concern is whether I want to take on 4 yrs of Santana's contract at that price, at the expense of losing 5 dirt cheap years of D'Arnaud - for reference I have Kemp ($19) and Fielder ($16) for the next 3 yrs, so after this season cap space could be an issue as I would have 37% of my cap tied up in 3 players.
For reference, the leagues most expensive players are Cano ($22), Braun ($22), MCab ($20), and Kershaw ($20).

To summarize:
1. Would this trade make my team better now?
2. If yes, is it a big enough improvement to justify losing D'Arnaud?
3. Is Addison Russel a strong enough prospect to make the deal?
Last edited by bayside on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Trade - Carlos Santana/Travis D'Arnaud

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 am

To get an idea of Santana's value (or possible lack thereof ?) here are some other catcher contracts:
Posey (1yr/$12)
Mauer (1yr/$12)
Molina (3yrs/$6.5)
Weiters (1yr/$7)
Napoli (4yrs/$6)
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Davesworld23 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:28 am

I am not familiar w Addison russal but this trade does make u better, this year. The money isn't right for you. I want to tell u to take it because I think u should sell on Cruz who is injury prone & he isn't as good as he once was. As far as the.mets catcher, who knows if he becomes what.they say he will. He most likely will but most likely not this year and maybe not even next year. U should ask for another prospect even if the cost is a little more because this deal would weaken u there, although OF may produce a hidden gem no one has thought to lock up yet
Davesworld23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby whoson1st0 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

I agree I like this deal for you. Santana is a great bat and based on the other Catchers in your league, he's maybe a dollar or 2 overpriced (at most) so not bad at all. Cuddyer in OF will be a fine replacement for Cruz so I wouldn't worry about that at all. If you want to win this year, I think this deal makes sense.

Losing D'Arnaud hurts but that's the way trades usually go. You gotta give to get. D'Arnaud is stll an unknown. Plenty of great prospects never make it in the majors, or have a rough first couple of yrs so there is no guarantee of the production you'd get from him once the Mets bring him.

Also it looks like Russell has a lot of upside. However does the 6 yrs start when he is called up or now? At only 19 and in A ball it could be a few more yrs before he is called up.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 52)

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 pm

The 6 years of control begins now, but his salary does not count against my cap until i put him on my MLB roster
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Well, I countered by adding to his proposed deal:
I also send my Brian Wilson ($2/2yrs) for his Garret Jones ($1/1), both to save myself a little cap room and to give my team a competent platoon for Cuddyer as my OF3. He accepted so the deal is official.

I figure this will improve my team at least for this year since Cuddyer/Jones platoon ~ Cruz and Santana >> Buck/D'Arnaud
And Cruz contract is likely to look even uglier his decline, while Santana should only improve with more AB's and a better lineup around him.

(And I'm hoping I snagged a young Barry Larkin before the hype train catches up to Russel)

or at least thats what I keep telling myself...
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Davesworld23 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Congrats on making the postseason... Baring injury bug. Goodluck
Davesworld23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Martain » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 pm

I want to be on the d'Arnaud/Cruz side of the deal. But I'm a Carlos Santana hater. In a 20 team league, OF (really shallow this year) and C are both precious.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=455698
Martain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 am

Hmm, since you got a legit replacement for Cruz (Jones will probably come close to matching Cruz's line if he doesn't point for point).
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1766)

Postby bayside » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Hmm, since you got a legit replacement for Cruz (Jones will probably come close to matching Cruz's line if he doesn't point for point).

Sooo... you like the deal for me?
I keep reading that quote to myself and Im waiting for the rest of the sentence to appear lol.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions