Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Draft and Trade Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft and Trade Question

Postby tiger04dmd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm in an 8 team Roto 5x5 league with a 200 start limit for season.

Most team are keeping 5 and snake order begins in 6th round because of keepers.

In the 5th round, I have 39th overall pick. I will probably be looking at either Cole Hamels or Craig Kimbrel. Am I crazy to consider Kimbrel? My thinking was with the start limit it would be pretty valuable to get a lot of Ks out of the bullpen/closers.

In the 6th round I have 47th overall pick so I am thinking I could get Bumgarner in that spot.

My other options is to trade with another manager my 47th and 50th overall picks for the 42nd and 58th overall picks. If I did this I could possibly get Hamels and 39 and Kimbrel will be there at 42.
tiger04dmd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft and Trade Question

Postby plamb23 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 pm

I would get Kimbrel for sure, and would be happy with either of those SPs
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 am

plamb23 wrote:I would get Kimbrel for sure, and would be happy with either of those SPs

Crazy talk. I think you need to take Hamels there. Kimbrel is awesome, but you need staff aces on board too. It sort of depends on what the keepers are for the team in question. If the dude has an ace already then maybe yeah, draft Kimbrel (I guess). Mostly I'm drafting bats at that point in the draft and not even thinking about relievers though, so maybe I'm biased. :-)

@ the OP - if you're keeping 5 and you think you can get Bumgarner in the 6th you should go ahead and do that. Mind you, I'm not entirely sure if by '6th' you're including the keeper rounds or not ('cause the Bum will be gone by the 11th round in any draft, so maybe you mean with keepers in tow).
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby lambo1203 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:33 am

Yeah I'd like to see your keepers first. If you have a solid pitcher already, I'd leave Hamels and get Kimbrel. If you need a star pitcher, kick Kimbrel aside and take the proven ace. I don't like doing draft pick trading unless you have a great read on how the first 10 picks are going to go, otherwise you could be missing out on some other players you want and getting stuck with a bunch of terrible options with your second of the two traded picks.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=455391
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 am

I'd take the ace in Hamels any day and MadBum in round 6 if you can swing it. Closers can be had.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1766)

Postby tiger04dmd » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:10 am

So these league was 10 teams last year and points league. So 2 teams dropped and we switched back to roto. Last year with points league, I was stacked with SP. But I have traded a couple of my aces for draft picks. So I have Hamels on my roster but don't want to keep him because I can make out better in 1st round pick.

Most teams are keeping 5, I am keeping 0.
So out of the dissolved teams I am going to get hitters. Thinking first 5 rounds (when most are using their keepers so not many selections), I'll draft Tulo, Longoria, Josh Hamilton, J-Hey. Then is the 5th round pick I was questioning either Hamels or Kimbrel.

In 6th round I think I could get Bumgarner.
tiger04dmd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions