Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Quietly Brandon League hasn't allowed an earned run in his last 5 appearances, dating back to May 12.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 pm

SupaSLY11 wrote:
West wrote:I guarantee it will not be Pestano, at least in the short run. I think it's either Shaw or Smith, or a committee of those two and Allen.

LOL

Big swing and a *whiff*!
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PeskyTheGoat » Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Janssen nursing a sore shoulder, anything to see here? I picked up Cecil as a roll of the dice. Anyone been following Janssen? Rotoworld link and blurb from CBS/Nando Di Fino below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4241/casey-janssen

Time to worry about Casey Janssen
by Nando Di Fino | Senior Fantasy Writer
(5:05 pm ET) After Tuesday's extra-innings loss to the Braves, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons announced that Casey Janssen was unavailable due to shoulder soreness. This comes on the heels of some disturbing quotes from Janssen about how his shoulder isn't 100 percent following offseason surgery.
In deeper leagues, where closers aren't readily available on the wire, Janssen's owners may want to take a look at the team's backup options: Steve Delabar and Brett Cecil. It's not clear who would get saves in Janssen's absence. Delabar seemed like the early choice, but Cecil -- a converted starter and former top prospect -- has been spectacular with a 1.98 ERA and 0.91 WHIP. Aaron Loup has the team's only non-Janssen save this year, but he's a lefty and that was a three-inning save.

If I had to choose between the two relievers, I would go with Cecil, who seems to have found his niche in the bullpen. Janssen may eventually work his way past this shoulder issue, but his setbacks are a little disturbing and aren't getting as much attention as they probably should. And although his overall numbers (2.40 ERA and a strikeout per inning) look good, Janssen has only pitched three times since May 11, with a 9.00 ERA and 2.33 WHIP
PeskyTheGoat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue May 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Ok. I was wondering why they went with Thad Weber and not Janssen today.

Cecil has been great and he hasn't been too bad against RHH either. I'd guess Delabar gets first crack for being a RHP. He's also a bit of a media darling in Toronto because of his story.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby West » Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Crippler wrote:
SupaSLY11 wrote:
West wrote:I guarantee it will not be Pestano, at least in the short run. I think it's either Shaw or Smith, or a committee of those two and Allen.

LOL

Big swing and a *whiff*!

Yeah, you guys are retards and so is Francona for shoving Pestano into the role when he's not ready.

This
go tribe wrote:Just my prediction but Vinnie is going to hurt those who take him more than help. He's not whole right now. Going with Pestano allows the bridge guys to stay in their roles. But heads up....and it won't take much.

Is absolutely correct. Unless Pestano gets his velocity back he is going to get lit up and it won't be very fun to own him.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 28, 2013 7:04 pm

there's really no need, and no place, for name calling or instigating in this thread, or at the Cafe. Take it somewhere else, folks. Period.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Norby » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Ok. I was wondering why they went with Thad Weber and not Janssen today.

Cecil has been great and he hasn't been too bad against RHH either. I'd guess Delabar gets first crack for being a RHP. He's also a bit of a media darling in Toronto because of his story.

As a Janssen owner myself, i'm gonna pass for now until i hear something more concrete. The Blue Jays haven't even had a save opportunity for over two weeks now, so it's not like i'm missing anything.
Norby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby go tribe » Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Norby wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Ok. I was wondering why they went with Thad Weber and not Janssen today.

As a Janssen owner myself, i'm gonna pass for now until i hear something more concrete. The Blue Jays haven't even had a save opportunity for over two weeks now, so it's not like i'm missing anything.

Smart to wait....i got all caught up in the Tribe stuff...and dropped Henderson while on the DL for 2 weeks to pick up Cody Allen. oooops.
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Crippler » Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 pm

West wrote:
Crippler wrote:
SupaSLY11 wrote:
LOL

Big swing and a *whiff*!

Yeah, you guys are retards and so is Francona.

"I was wrong, don't ever listen to me" would have sufficed. Stay classy.

Regarding the Jays, Delabar seems like the better bet to me, over Cecil. That K-rate is nasty and his chances of implosion seem lower.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby West » Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 pm

If Francona wants to throw a guy into the role who's only pitching at 50% then he can enjoy the results. So can everyone who picks up Pestano. Should I have "guaranteed" that Pestano would not get the role? No. But it must mean Francona has a ton more confidence in Pestano than he did two days ago.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame