Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby angels7777 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 pm

West wrote:If you only have room for one, I would go Shaw. Allen, Smith and Pestano I would rank fairly even, but I like Shaw's chances the best.

You'd take Shaw over a guy like Peralta?
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 346)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 pm

angels7777 wrote:
West wrote:If you only have room for one, I would go Shaw. Allen, Smith and Pestano I would rank fairly even, but I like Shaw's chances the best.

I think it would depend on whether Rodney gets removed from closing in Tampa Bay for Peralta.
if Rodney continues to close, then Shaw is likely more valuable than Peralta because at the moment Shaw has a better chance at getting more saves.
if Rodney is going to get removed and Peralta takes over, then Peralta is more valuable than Shaw because Peralta would have a better chance at getting more saves.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby West » Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 pm

angels7777 wrote:

That's a tough one. I doubt Francona goes with a committee so it will be pretty clear very soon who the add is and for what duration when we hear about Perez. Peralta is owned in all my leagues so it never entered into the equation for me. At this point I'd rather have Peralta just because I don't know who Francona is going to go with.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby ensanimal » Sun May 26, 2013 8:00 pm

True long shot with all of the other options, but, anyone think Indians might turn to Myers once he's back if Perez is out? Has the wonderful experience factor going for him and then leaves the other guys in their slots.

This is assuming Pestano doesn't just flip a switch, go back to normal and runs away with it.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby wrveres » Sun May 26, 2013 9:02 pm

"It's unfortunate that both of us are going through this right now," Perez said. "Hopefully it's nothing serious for both of us. Just get some treatment, get some medicine and hopefully come out there in the next couple weeks."

"I haven't pitched in a week or so," Perez said. "Then I felt [the shoulder] obviously on that last pitch there to Ellsbury and it kind of pinched on me and sent a little pain down my arm. I went to throw another pitch and it just wasn't happening. So it's sore."
sounds like he knows he is gong on the DL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby West » Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 pm

I guarantee it will not be Pestano, at least in the short run. I think it's either Shaw or Smith, or a committee of those two and Allen.

This is Francona on Sunday morning before the injury, talking about Pestano:

Trying to build up his arm strength is essentially what Pestano had been doing – albeit in live games.

“It’s like in spring training when guys are throwing, they have to build up arm speed,” Francona said. “That’s what he’s doing now. Like a hitter when you’re not (batting well), your swing is long. Well, right now that’s how he is as a pitcher. But it’ll be fine. There’s not any medial issues, we already got through that. We just gotta get him back to being Vinnie.”

But now – at least until Pestano is back up to speed – Francona made it sound like he’ll do so for the time being without it coming in situations where a game is on the line.

“We’re in pretty good shape,” Francona said. “We’re good. We’ll do fine. We have a good bullpen. We have so many different ways to go that on days when somebody’s not available, I don’t ever feel handcuffed.

“And that’s an unbelievable feeling, I remember days here (in Boston) where we had (Daniel) Bard and (Jonathan) Paplebon and although we had some other guys, trying to maneuver to get to those two guys (was tough). Right now, we’ll send Cody (Allen) or (Bryan) Shaw or (Matt) Albers or Rich (Hill) out there. We have a ton of confidence in all of them.”

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-ind ... s-1.400937
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 am

if you want some more information, rotoboss.blogspot.ca has this take on some closer situations.
http://rotoboss.blogspot.ca/2013/05/hol ... later.html

The importance of rostering one or two quality, non-closing relievers, has proven to be a prudent, yet necessary move for fantasy baseball owners. As we've seen throughout the first eight weeks of the 2013 season, the hierarchy of a bullpen can change almost instantly. Whether it's an injury, or a pitcher who just can't get the job done, it's crucial to know who's next in line for the teams with turmoil in their bullpen.
Friday night in Milwaukee, Jim Henderson was injured trying to field a ground ball, triggering a domino effect for the Brewers relief corp. Francisco Rodriguez was asked to slam the door on the Pirates, which he converted in two pitches. Every night will not be that easy, especially when you consider his velocity is down around 90-91 mph on his fastball. John Axford, figures to get at least a shot at regaining his old job back, but there's a reason he lost it initially. His strikeouts are there, 25 K in 19 IP, but he sports a 6.98 ERA and a 1.81 WHIP. The upside for Axford is that he has not allowed a run since May 14. So maybe he's regaining his old ninth inning form. For fun we can add Michael Gonzalez into the closer mix. Gonzalez has respectable, but not great numbers, 3.31 ERA,1.71 WHIP, but he also offers some experience as well. Gonzalez collected 24 saves with the Pirates in 2006, so Ron Roenicke might decide to employ a platoon of below average relievers to hold down the fort until Henderson returns. The smart money is on Rodriguez, if you have to choose one reliever to go with in the saves battle. He's owned in only 10% of Y! leagues at the moment.

Here's a look at some other teams that have some issues to address regarding their closer situation:

Miami- Steve Cishek is the "official" closer for the Marlins, but by title only. Just in the past week, Chad Qualls and Mike Dunn have been called upon to close out games for the Marlins. Qualls is definitely the guy to own here. Dunn is capable of closing, but Mike Redmond seems comfortable calling on Qualls when Cishek is not available to work. Dunn is currently owned in 4% of Y! leagues, while Qualls remains at 0%.

Tampa Bay- At some point Joe Maddon is going to be forced to pull the plug on Fernando Rodney. Saturday marked Rodney's fifth blown save this season, and raised his ERA to an unsightly 6.05. While Maddon has had nothing but positive things to say about Rodney's job security, his dismal performance suggests Joel Peralta might get the ninth inning call here shortly. Peralta has been extremely solid this season, pitching to a 2.08 ERA with a 1.02 WHIP. He's also averaging over a strike out per inning, so he has the swing and miss stuff it takes to close out games. Peralta needs to be owned immediately, and at just 22 % ownership in Y! leagues, he should be available in your league. Jake McGee (5% owned Y!) has 9 holds on the season, and Maddon seems set on keeping him in that role. It's worth noting that McGee is capable, and possesses closer type stuff to get the job done if needed.

San Diego- Huston Street is struggling, and the injury rumors aren't going away. Street's numbers in 2013 suggest a change will happen in the ninth inning before season's end in San Diego. Street has a 4.19 ERA, and only 13 K to go along with an ugly 8 BB in 19.1 IP. Hitters are not missing much of anything that Street throws. The one thing he can hang his hat on so far, is his .225 BAA. Luke Gregerson is the only challenger to the closers job in San Diego. Owned in only 17% of Y! leagues, Gregerson has a 0.87 ERA, .068 WHIP and 15 K in 20 IP. He also boasts an impressive .116 BAA this season. Gregerson should be owned in most leagues, largely because of the help he offers statistically in the pitching categories.

Houston- Most fantasy owners look away in disgust when the Astros bullpen is mentioned. The argument of course, is that Houston just doesn't win enough to employ an Astros reliever. That's nonsense, especially if you're playing in a rotisserie format. Jose' Veras has been solid for much of the 2013 season, but he has scuffled as of late, blowing three saves in the past 10 games. There are two options to consider in the Houston bullpen if Veras is lifted from the closers role. The first option is Hector Ambriz, who has eight holds this season for the Astros, and has the velocity to make hitters swing and miss. Although the numbers are rather hard to look at for Ambriz, he's really only had one disastrous outing this season against the Angels. Wesley Wright is the other name to remember if your kicking the tires on the Astros bullpen. Wright and Ambriz are both 0% owned in Y! leagues, so there's no need to rush to the waiver wire to make an add. Just earmark those name on your watch list and make the move at the appropriate time.

Colorado-It was a tough decision to list the Rockies situation as unstable, considering Rafael Betancourt has been extraordinary in the ninth inning. Betancourt is battling a groin injury that continues to cause problems when he takes the mound. Those types of injuries tend to linger, especially when you're dealing with pitchers. Rex Brothers is the obvious add in Colorado if Betancourt should miss any time. Brothers has 6 holds for the Rockies this season and carries a .041 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP, while striking out an average of one batter per inning. He is currently owned in just 16% of Y! leagues. Matt Belisle is another name that might get a save opportunity occasionally for the Rockies. So pay close attention to the reports out of Colorado, if a DL stint is necessary for Betancourt, Brothers becomes instantly valuable in all formats.

Baltimore- Jim Johnson gave away a three run lead Sunday afternoon to the Blue Jays, recording his fourth blown save in his last five chances. Johnson has been struggling so much lately, manager Buck Showalter is beginning to wonder out loud to the media about changing things up in the ninth inning. For now, the Orioles will probably stick with Johnson, but his rope is growing increasingly shorter by the day. Darren O'Day is the speculative add here, but aggressive owners might want to keep an eye on Tommy Hunter.

Cleveland- Chris Perez left Sunday's game against the Red Sox with right shoulder discomfort. This is a complicated situation in the Cleveland bullpen, since next in line Vinny Pestano has been struggling mightily as of late. The Indians might be forced to give Joe Smith a shot at the closers gig, but unfortunately his upside is about as exciting as his name. None the less, a save is a save, so add Smith and Pestano where needed. One additional name to store in the memory bank is Bryan Shaw, we doubt the situation gets that dire that Shaw becomes an option, but we're just doing our relief pitcher due diligence here folks.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 am

Perez to the DL.
Indians placed RHP Chris Perez on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury.
Perez left a save opportunity Sunday against the Red Sox after experiencing discomfort in his right shoulder. The Indians aren't sure yet about the severity of the injury. Joe Smith entered Sunday's game and gave up a walkoff double to Jacoby Ellsbury, but he's still probably next in line for saves in Cleveland. Cody Allen and Vinnie Pestano are some other candidates there.

rotoworld speculates on Joe Smith. also mentions Allen and Pestano, but doesn't mention Shaw.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby timozbuck » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 am

Indians TV network (STO) was speculating on Allen yesterday.
timozbuck Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby go tribe » Mon May 27, 2013 11:21 am

I hear "Maybe Shaw" from inside the TeePee
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)