Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby KobraCola » Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 am

CisedForBryce wrote:Add Coello to that list. Frieri pulled from the save opp. tonight after giving up 2 runs.

etex211 wrote:Frieri couldn't get it done tonight. Coello had to get the final out.

Think this actually means something though? I can't tell if it's a one-time thing or if Frieri's actually hurting. Also Coello's numbers are fun/ridiculous to look at:

K/9: 15.43
ERA: 0.00
FIP: -0.39 (!!!)
xFIP: 0.63
WHIP: 0.29

Sure, tiny sample size at 7 IP and he was awful last year in another small sample size. Hard to get a read for him, so I welcome any thoughts on the matter.
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri May 24, 2013 6:19 am

I doubt Coello would be the one to replace Frieri, if that was to happen. I think either Garrett Richards or more so Scott Downs would be the one to replace Frier. both of them had already pitched in the game last night before Frieri. Downs had his share of saves last season in place of Frieri, even when Frieri was available. I remember getting into many an argument over that last season.
Coello hasn't had much success in the majors, or even in the minors.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... ert-Coello
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby etex211 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 am

I think it will take a lot for Scioscia to move away from Frieri. He leans on him frequently for saves of more than three outs.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri May 24, 2013 11:13 am

Frieri has been terrible, walking 18% of the batters he's faced, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a change if he keps having trouble finding the zone. Coello has a bad history of walks but so far hasn't walked any of the 24 batters he's faced. Last year he had a terrible BB/9 but his batters faced per IP was inflated by his .533 BABIP. Combining the small sample sizes from last season and this season he's got a 40% K-rate and 7% BB-rate. It's only a dozen games but it's encouraging, and the K-rate has always been insane. I'm taking a flier on him in my NL Only league and if Frieri has one more bad outing I'll be doing the same in my mixed league. There's a chance Downs gets some opportunities, but Garrett Richards has been worse than Frieri so I wouldn't worry about him.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby converge241 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Just noticed Heath Bell hasnt pitched since May 15th. EVen if no save op, isnt this a long time for him to get no game action at all?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby OBPlover » Fri May 24, 2013 2:39 pm

West wrote:So...Let's rank some speculative adds this week.

I'll list and also rank in rough order off the top of my head and you add yours if I missed any:

Joel Peralta, TB
Rex Brothers, COL
Darren O'Day, BAL
Vinnie Pestano, CLE
Chad Qualls, MIA
Kyle Farnsworth, TB
Tommy Hunter, BAL
Pedro Strop, BAL
Mike Dunn, MIA

And also, Trevor Rosenthal, because I just feel like he's better than Mujica.

Leaving out some names of guys that should be owned in most leagues like Jansen, or already developed situations such as Boston where Tazawa and Uehara were stashed weeks ago.

Ok...

So Miami has too much specualtion and probably won't win many games anyways. So Dunn and Qualls are at the bottom.
Jim Johnson has a lot of goodwill stored up from last year as does Rodney. But I do think Tampa is a little smarter to not fall into the trap of "he's our closer".
Brothers will only close if Betancourt is truly injured, which according to the recent news, he is not.
The Pestano thing has been done to death.

I think the order is

Peralta/Farnsworth
O'day (don't see them closing with hunter)
Brothers
Pestano
Dunn/Qualls
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 95)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri May 24, 2013 3:25 pm

I'd probably go with Ramos before Dunn, and probably before Qualls. Ramos has been the righty setup man whereas Qualls is in middle relief. Dunn is underwhelming, he won't get righties out. Ramos is a K machine versus both righties and lefties. He also tops out at 97 with his fastball so I wouldn't be surprised if he's given a shot. That said, the Marlins might only have a dozen total saves from here on out so it might not matter.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I'd probably go with Ramos before Dunn, and probably before Qualls. Ramos has been the righty setup man whereas Qualls is in middle relief. Dunn is underwhelming, he won't get righties out. Ramos is a K machine versus both righties and lefties. He also tops out at 97 with his fastball so I wouldn't be surprised if he's given a shot. That said, the Marlins might only have a dozen total saves from here on out so it might not matter.

Ceda is reportedly starting to throw some and should be back sometime this season. He was their projected closer of the future before going down with TJ awhile back. Might be be a nice speculative add longterm for a team with room.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Maddon gave the kiss of death to Rodney. Regardless how good he was last season, averaging a walk per inning just won't cut it. One more horrible outing and I'd guess Peralta gets a shot. I picked him up yesterday so my fingers are crossed.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Jim Henderson just pulled his hamstring, had to be removed. K-Rod is in to finish off the save. Don't know how bad it is but he tried to throw a warm-up pitch after the injury and it didn't look good.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame