Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby hot4tx » Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

so any idea on what is taking so long for Mattingly to say Jansen is the closer instead of League?

Still feel like they don't want to pigeon-hole Jansen into a 9th inning only closer role. As long as League isn't horrible they can get more real baseball value out of them by having Jansen pitch in the higher-leverage situation. If that ends up being the 9th then he'll get a save, but if that ends up being the 8th then League gets it. Normally teams don't have a guy like League with closer mentality and experience to allow them to use their best reliever when he's most needed. The Dodgers do.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shermanator » Thu May 16, 2013 8:43 pm

hot4tx wrote:
so any idea on what is taking so long for Mattingly to say Jansen is the closer instead of League?

Still feel like they don't want to pigeon-hole Jansen into a 9th inning only closer role. As long as League isn't horrible they can get more real baseball value out of them by having Jansen pitch in the higher-leverage situation. If that ends up being the 9th then he'll get a save, but if that ends up being the 8th then League gets it. Normally teams don't have a guy like League with closer mentality and experience to allow them to use their best reliever when he's most needed. The Dodgers do.

well said
Shermanator
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Ender » Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 am

KRod was brought up because they had to either bring him up or release him, I wouldn't read much into him. He very well may be the 2nd in line, especially now that Figaro had a bad outing but Henderson is pretty secure as long as he keeps throwing well.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 am

How short is Rodney's leash at this point? Three walks and a double to blow the lead last night. His walk rate is through the roof, it's looking like last year's control was an aberration.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby bali dawgs » Fri May 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Is the consensus still that Rauch is the fallback option in Miami? It's looking like Dunn is the better pitcher there right now.

Also, is Rodney pitching terribly or is he just not getting the calls? I can't watch baseball where I'm at (Indonesia, not prison) so I have to go from boxscores. I picked up Peralta hoping there will be an "injury" or at least a mental break for Fernando pretty soon.

Both Cishek and Rodney have been pretty terrible, any thoughts on if a change is coming, and who might take the role?

A
bali dawgs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Neboguy » Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 pm

bali dawgs wrote:Is the consensus still that Rauch is the fallback option in Miami? It's looking like Dunn is the better pitcher there right now.

Also, is Rodney pitching terribly or is he just not getting the calls? I can't watch baseball where I'm at (Indonesia, not prison) so I have to go from boxscores. I picked up Peralta hoping there will be an "injury" or at least a mental break for Fernando pretty soon.

Both Cishek and Rodney have been pretty terrible, any thoughts on if a change is coming, and who might take the role?

A

Seems to me nobody is talking about Kyle Farnsworth. Let's not forget the only reason Fernando Rodney saved as many games as he did last year was because Farnsworth got "Wally Pipped", when he spent the first 2 months of 2012 on the DL.

Let's not forget Farnsworth saved 25 games for the Rays in 2011, including 51Ks in 57.2 innings, a 2.18 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP.

Even though he has struggled this season, I would put my $ on Farnsworth getting the 1st chance to unseat Rodney should Joe Maddon make the switch. Peralta was terrible when given the chance to close at the beginning of 2012, leading to Rodney stealing and running away with the job.

Career Saves: Farnsworth = 52, Peralta = 10. Experience matters when closing out games in MLB. Ask Dale Sveum . . . and then punch him in the face for even thinking of putting Gregg in the closer role (yes this means pick up Fujikawa, who should be closing games for the Cubs by July 1st).
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Please Leave Feedback!

Neboguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby silentjim » Fri May 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Neboguy wrote:Seems to me nobody is talking about Kyle Farnsworth. Let's not forget the only reason Fernando Rodney saved as many games as he did last year was because Farnsworth got "Wally Pipped", when he spent the first 2 months of 2012 on the DL.

Let's not forget Farnsworth saved 25 games for the Rays in 2011, including 51Ks in 57.2 innings, a 2.18 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP.

Even though he has struggled this season, I would put my $ on Farnsworth getting the 1st chance to unseat Rodney should Joe Maddon make the switch. Peralta was terrible when given the chance to close at the beginning of 2012, leading to Rodney stealing and running away with the job.

Career Saves: Farnsworth = 52, Peralta = 10. Experience matters when closing out games in MLB. Ask Dale Sveum . . . and then punch him in the face for even thinking of putting Gregg in the closer role (yes this means pick up Fujikawa, who should be closing games for the Cubs by July 1st).

I agree with Farnsworth being an option people should be talking about, but the Cubs talk is a little insane. Will Fujikawa close? Probably. Does Kevin Gregg have 150 career saves at the big league level? Yes.

Gregg stinks, but to think he doesn't have experience is a super poor argument.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wingman3110 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter today that Maddon said Rodney has the closer gig and is nowhere close to making a change.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby cordscords » Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Read on Twitter today that Maddon said Rodney has the closer gig and is nowhere close to making a change.

And Peralta with the save. Rodney was warming up in the pen but Maddon chose to stick with Peralta for the 4 out save.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

Uehara with the save for Boston. he had last pitched on the 15th. Tazawa not in action tonight, but he went 2 innings last night. likely wasn't available.

also noticed Marlins designated for assignment to Jon Rauch.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame