Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 am

Who would you rather have rest of season?

Frieri (will he keep the job)
Street (can he stay healthy)

I'm thinking Street, but wondered how close it was.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:54 am

Street. But I'm very worried about him. He's not missing any bats and he gets hurt at least once a year. I think he's 6 for 6 in save chances by some fluke of nature, and Frieri still has Madson to contend with (don't know why, but seems like consensus that Madson will be given a chance) so I'd rather have Street. Though in the one league I have him in I've been trying to swap him for another closer for about a week.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby West » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Frieri. Street is pretty solid but I think the chances that Frieri keeps the job are better than Street staying healthy. Frieri is lights out and if Scosciapath wasn't such a moron Frieri would have been the clear cut closer last year.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 pm

FYI: Valverde is not available tonight. If you're sitting with Benoit on your bench for some reason (as I am in a 12 team AL Only, along with Rondon) then plug him in as he could vulture a save.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Kevin Gregg with another save tonight for the Cubs.
I would imagine not many have faith in Gregg to continue to be as good as he has been. however, lets say if Gregg continues to be effective and get saves, what happens once Fujikawa returns? regardless of talent, it's not like Fujikawa was lights out before going on the DL.
if I had to take a guess right now, as long as Gregg is effective he will continue to be the closer even when Fujikawa returns. that is as long as Gregg can continue to be effective.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:14 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Kevin Gregg with another save tonight for the Cubs.
I would imagine not many have faith in Gregg to continue to be as good as he has been. however, lets say if Gregg continues to be effective and get saves, what happens once Fujikawa returns? regardless of talent, it's not like Fujikawa was lights out before going on the DL.
if I had to take a guess right now, as long as Gregg is effective he will continue to be the closer even when Fujikawa returns. that is as long as Gregg can continue to be effective.

So probably Marmol? :-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 am

I'm enjoying being trolled by K.Gregg on my bench :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 am

Just another sign that the Cubs are completely clueless. Kevin Gregg should never ever be getting saves for a bad team. Get some saves for someone with some trade value instead. Closer is one job where you can create value out of mediocrity for a bad team.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 am

Ender wrote:Just another sign that the Cubs are completely clueless. Kevin Gregg should never ever be getting saves for a bad team. Get some saves for someone with some trade value instead. Closer is one job where you can create value out of mediocrity for a bad team.

I know I should back this statement up more but I don't want to get into a discussion about how handcuffed Cubs management is. The fans run the team, and that's the sad truth, and the fans want someone other than Marmol, so that's what they get right now. Marmol will be given a chance at saves again at some point, though I am sure.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 pm

If Gregg keeps cruising along, they could probably get something for him at the deadline. He's sucked most of his career but made a living off of getting saves.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame