Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:25 am

Shermanator wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Gregerson or Thayer. Hard to say. I'm actually starting to warm to Thayer. He's been pretty good and seems to have that "closer mentality" that managers tend to like. I'm making a claim for Thayer tonight as a handcuff for Street who has really stunk lately.

Everything I've heard on thayer is he is getting stretched to start sometime this year. there is no doubt in my mind Gregerson is the handcuff

Really? He got a 1 out hold last night. He's been used for more than 3 outs only once all season. I don't doubt Gregerson could be next in line for saves but I see nothing in Thayer's usage to suggest they're stretching him out. Maybe you're thinking of the similarly-bearded Andrew Cashner, who is already in the rotation.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shermanator » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 am

Skin Blues wrote:
Shermanator wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Gregerson or Thayer. Hard to say. I'm actually starting to warm to Thayer. He's been pretty good and seems to have that "closer mentality" that managers tend to like. I'm making a claim for Thayer tonight as a handcuff for Street who has really stunk lately.

Everything I've heard on thayer is he is getting stretched to start sometime this year. there is no doubt in my mind Gregerson is the handcuff

Really? He got a 1 out hold last night. He's been used for more than 3 outs only once all season. I don't doubt Gregerson could be next in line for saves but I see nothing in Thayer's usage to suggest they're stretching him out. Maybe you're thinking of the similarly-bearded Andrew Cashner, who is already in the rotation.

You are absolutely right. I was thinking Cashner. I actually forgot all about Thayer. Good call. thanks ;-D
Shermanator
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Shermanator » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:08 am

Shermanator wrote:Talking streamers for tomorrows games. Im assuming Mariano and Nathan will not be available tomorrow. who are the potential closer streamers tomorrow to replace these two?

A couple stream closers for today I would go with
David Robertson. Mo threw 26 pitches last night.
Kenley Jansen. Didnt pitch last night and League threw 23 pitches.

Reed is also a prime candidate to sit tonight but choosing between Crain/Thornton/Lindstrom to stream is too dificult.
Shermanator
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 am

[quote="Shermanator"][quote="Shermanator"]Talking streamers for tomorrows games. Im assuming Mariano and Nathan will not be available tomorrow. who are the potential closer streamers tomorrow to replace these two?[/quote]

[b]David Robertson[/b]. Mo threw 26 pitches last night.
[b]Kenley Jansen[/b]. Didnt pitch last night and League threw 23 pitches.

Reed is also a prime candidate to sit tonight but choosing between Crain/Thornton/Lindstrom to stream is too dificult.[/quote]

Jansen would be available in 8 team leagues maximum so no need to discuss. Robertson may be there in a 12 team mixer but has pitched a lot lately also. Nothing to see here.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:12 am

People in daily leagues may be stashing these guys as handcuffs, and could plug them in while benching the incumbent. I personally have Kenley Jansen and Brandon League on a team where Jansen spends many nights on the bench due to all RP/P slots being filled. People with Rivera/Robertson could probably do the same.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby West » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:24 am

NZ Eff wrote:
Shermanator wrote:
Shermanator wrote:Talking streamers for tomorrows games. Im assuming Mariano and Nathan will not be available tomorrow. who are the potential closer streamers tomorrow to replace these two?

David Robertson. Mo threw 26 pitches last night.
Kenley Jansen. Didnt pitch last night and League threw 23 pitches.

Reed is also a prime candidate to sit tonight but choosing between Crain/Thornton/Lindstrom to stream is too dificult.

Jansen would be available in 8 team leagues maximum so no need to discuss. Robertson may be there in a 12 team mixer but has pitched a lot lately also. Nothing to see here.

The post isn't about what format league you play in, the point is that Jansen and Robertson might get their first (or second) saves of the year and owners should have them in. Just because some people play in shallow formats doesn't mean the information isn't useful.

On Gregerson vs. Thayer, I liked Gregerson better last year but they went with Thayer when Street went down. And Thayer has been lights out this year, so I think he is actually next in line.

bali dawgs wrote:Hey guys-

I've been slowly creeping up in my league's waiver order, hoping to get high enough to grab Wil Myers once he becomes available/is called up. However with Valverde recently added to the league, I am tempted to go after him. I've never owned Valverde and wonder if he's worth picking up. Is the consensus that he keeps the job all year? Also, someone dropped Hanrahan, so I could potentially put waiver claims on both Valverde and Hannie.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Valverde, over/under 30 saves this year;
Hanrahan regains his role and keeps it?

Any help is appreciated guys...Thanks as always:

Aaron

I wouldn't go after Hanrahan at all. Bailey looks outstanding in the role and Hanny was having issues throwing strikes even before he got injured. Bailey the rest of the way IMO.

Valverde is a bit of a wildcard but he's definitely worth an add in all leagues. I can't answer questions specific to your league without a lot of information about the format, keeper or non-keeper etc, and even then that question would belong in this forum:
viewforum.php?f=26

That said I think Valverde has a decent leash to start and I don't feel Rondon is a serious challenge to the job this year. I think Albuquerque and Benoit are next in line if Valverde craps the bed. It's very hard to predict Valverde at this point, so I'm not going to try, but I'd value him around the bottom tier of closers but ahead of Cishek, Veras and Marmol right now because of the risk factors. I can't see great ratios or high K numbers out of him this year, but he should be serviceable.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 am

Any thoughts on Frank Francisco returning to the closer role? Parnell has been fantastic but they have a strange infatuation with Frankie.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eneric » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:54 am

I'm beginning to wonder if Axford will take the closer role back. He's talking like he's comfortable where he's at now and has been very humble in doing what's best for the team (probably because he & Henderson are both Canadian). I've been holding onto him in anticipation he gets the role back because of his upside but I'm running out of patience.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby West » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:41 pm

eneric wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if Axford will take the closer role back. He's talking like he's comfortable where he's at now and has been very humble in doing what's best for the team (probably because he & Henderson are both Canadian). I've been holding onto him in anticipation he gets the role back because of his upside but I'm running out of patience.

That's Ax just being a team player not trying to make waves. It doesn't change anything. Roenicke has always said that he plans on bringing Ax back.

Skin Blues wrote:Any thoughts on Frank Francisco returning to the closer role? Parnell has been fantastic but they have a strange infatuation with Frankie.

Parnell is not going anywhere and Francisco is still on the DL. Mets have always seen Parnell as a future closer and now he is. He has as good a leash as anyone and only way he loses it is injury/ineffectiveness.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I agree to an extent, but they still only gave Parnell save opps when Francisco was on the DL last season. Even when Francisco was partially injured they'd demote Parnell and keep throwing Frankie and his 5.77 ERA/1.61 WHIP out there for saves, despite Parnell having a pretty great year, finishing with a 2.5 ERA. Are we sure they won't do that again? Have they said anything?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame