Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Janssen and League and I don't think it's all that close.

Not sure about that. With Motte 99% done for the season, why couldn't Mujica be as valuable as Janssen and League going forward. Plays for the best team, with the better starters and the best offense. I agree Henderson should be below the others as chances are Axford could be back in the mix before too long. He has looked outstanding lately. Although Henderson has been excellent all season, there is no guarantee he holds the job for too much longer if Axe is back to his best.

His job isn't near as secure.

Mujica has no one breathing down his neck like Henderson. I would say that even League has less job security than Mujica with the Dodgers 8th inning guy as good as it gets.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:37 am

I guess I missed the update on Motte. 99% done for the whole entire season? I've read some on Mujica and all I've read said he has been lights out since getting save and should hold the job until Motte returns.
if Motte is indeed almost a sure thing to be done for the season, I do think Mujica can be the guy all season.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:47 am

I didn't own Valverde in any leagues last season. I think likely he went higher than I valued him since he came off a season before in 2011 where he did not blow a single save. but it seems as though some people are valuing Valverde really low, based on 2012? I can't remember the playoffs and what he did there. but his 2012 season really wasn't bad.
overall for 2012 he did have a low 65.3 LOB%. compared to 2011 at 82.9% and 2010 at 75.4%. career is 77.0%.
his BB were also down in 2012 at 3.52 BB/9, compared to 2011 at 4.23 and 2010 at 4.57 BB/9.
one thing I did see mentioned was his declining K/9 for each of the last 7 seasons.
2012- 6.26
2011- 8.59
2010- 9.00
2009- 9.33
2008- 10.38
2007- 10.91
2006- 12.59
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 am

NZ Eff wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
Not sure about that. With Motte 99% done for the season, why couldn't Mujica be as valuable as Janssen and League going forward. Plays for the best team, with the better starters and the best offense. I agree Henderson should be below the others as chances are Axford could be back in the mix before too long. He has looked outstanding lately. Although Henderson has been excellent all season, there is no guarantee he holds the job for too much longer if Axe is back to his best.

His job isn't near as secure.

Mujica has no one breathing down his neck like Henderson. I would say that even League has less job security than Mujica with the Dodgers 8th inning guy as good as it gets.

But League was signed to be the closer, while there's less of a commitment with Mujica. Rosenthal is a pretty big threat and pitching pretty well (fip/xfip in the low-2s). Agree with GF, Janssen #1, League #2.

(That's not to say that Mujica couldn't be as valuable, just that I like League's chances better.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby keiban » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:09 am

Good day gentlemen.

12 Team 4x4 AL only auction league. Looking to grab a potential closer and the following 4 are currently FA's. Would you grab any of them for this year only???

Pedro Strop
Joba Chamberlain
Bryan Shaw
Jesse Crain

I currently have Carter Capps filling the same role on my team, but he hasn't exactly been great so far. Thanks in advance.

K
Strong and Hard, like a body building Elf
keiban Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am

Yeah I'd be more surprised if League lost his job than Mujica.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

does it factor in that Rosenthal was a starter in the minors? he only became a reliever when the Cardinals called him up last summer.
where do the Cardinals see him long term? if it's as a starter, maybe they don't want him to be closing games and be in the mind set. other starters in the minors have come up, used as a reliever, and became the closer. Jonathan Papelbon was a good starter in the minors before closing for Boston.
maybe the Cardinals do see Rosenthal as a long term closer?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am

Dunno. They used Wainwright as a closer before turning him into a starter so you can't rule out that scenario either. He said he thought it helped a lot since it put him in so many higher leverage situations and he learned how to get out of them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby converge241 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Lots of blurbs and indicators Axford is closer to getting another shot, DOLF he should be rostered if youre hunting
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:47 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
But League was signed to be the closer, while there's less of a commitment with Mujica. Rosenthal is a pretty big threat and pitching pretty well (fip/xfip in the low-2s). Agree with GF, Janssen #1, League #2.

(That's not to say that Mujica couldn't be as valuable, just that I like League's chances better.)

Rosenthal has pitched well :-? His K rate is great but a 1.60 whip and 4 plus ERA is far from Kenley Jensen country.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame