Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Russell wasn't available and Marmol already blew the 9th inning save opp by uncharacteristically allowing three baserunners in less than an inning of work.

This will be Fujikawa's job when he's healthy.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:43 pm

Marmol is currently the closer but he will get tomorrow off because he pitched 2 innings the day before and should have probably never been used today.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Ender wrote:Marmol is currently the closer but he will get tomorrow off because he pitched 2 innings the day before and should have probably never been used today.

Of course he should have been used today. He is the team closer and threw just 26 pitches yesterday in his first outing for 4 days albeit in 2 innings of work. Not able to close it out for a deserved win for Villanueva but has been pitching well of late and has certainly done enough to cement the closers role again. It won't be Kevin Gregg. That I can guarantee. Agreed Marmol won't pitch tomorrow.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 am

NZ Eff wrote:
Ender wrote:Marmol is currently the closer but he will get tomorrow off because he pitched 2 innings the day before and should have probably never been used today.

Of course he should have been used today. He is the team closer and threw just 26 pitches yesterday in his first outing for 4 days albeit in 2 innings of work. Not able to close it out for a deserved win for Villanueva but has been pitching well of late and has certainly done enough to cement the closers role again. It won't be Kevin Gregg. That I can guarantee. Agreed Marmol won't pitch tomorrow.

I would agree in a different situation but when you have struggled in the bullpen all year long and you have a guy who has turned it around lately and had a long outing the day before you don't press your luck. This was an easy sit for a team that has no chance to compete and it isn't the end of the world if they blow a game. Marmol should have been off limits for this game. They should be bending over backwards to accommodate him and pump up his value as much as they possibly can.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby nickels2012 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 am

Pick 2 Closers

Casey Janssen Brandon League Edward Mujica Jim Henderson

I own Rivera Janssen and League...
C Gattis
1B Rizzo
2B Gordon
3B Rendon
SS Correa
LF Marte
CF Springer
RF JD Martinez
DH Chris Davis
UT Correa
Gomez
Pedroia

Arrieta
Strasburg
Gray
Salazar
Lackey
Garcia
Happ
Colon
RP Melancon
RP A Miller
RP Wilhelmson
nickels2012
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 80)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 am

Janssen and League and I don't think it's all that close.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby nickels2012 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 am

Thanks!
C Gattis
1B Rizzo
2B Gordon
3B Rendon
SS Correa
LF Marte
CF Springer
RF JD Martinez
DH Chris Davis
UT Correa
Gomez
Pedroia

Arrieta
Strasburg
Gray
Salazar
Lackey
Garcia
Happ
Colon
RP Melancon
RP A Miller
RP Wilhelmson
nickels2012
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 80)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 am

Ender wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:

I would agree in a different situation but when you have struggled in the bullpen all year long and you have a guy who has turned it around lately and had a long outing the day before you don't press your luck. This was an easy sit for a team that has no chance to compete and it isn't the end of the world if they blow a game. Marmol should have been off limits for this game. They should be bending over backwards to accommodate him and pump up his value as much as they possibly can.

Yeah the thing is he didn't have a long outing yesterday. He threw 2 innings but just 26 pitches. Closers often throw 20 odd pitchers in 1 inning to get a save and then come back out the next day. Sveum had to go to Marmol in that situation as Russell wasn't available.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:03 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Janssen and League and I don't think it's all that close.

Not sure about that. With Motte 99% done for the season, why couldn't Mujica be as valuable as Janssen and League going forward. Plays for the best team, with the better starters and the best offense. I agree Henderson should be below the others as chances are Axford could be back in the mix before too long. He has looked outstanding lately. Although Henderson has been excellent all season, there is no guarantee he holds the job for too much longer if Axe is back to his best.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 am

NZ Eff wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Janssen and League and I don't think it's all that close.

Not sure about that. With Motte 99% done for the season, why couldn't Mujica be as valuable as Janssen and League going forward. Plays for the best team, with the better starters and the best offense. I agree Henderson should be below the others as chances are Axford could be back in the mix before too long. He has looked outstanding lately. Although Henderson has been excellent all season, there is no guarantee he holds the job for too much longer if Axe is back to his best.

His job isn't near as secure.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame