Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby hot4tx » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:57 am

I'd hold on to Russell unless there's someone you really want out there - he still has some value and in the meantime won't hurt you. However I think the writing is on the wall and there's a very small chance he ends up with any sizeable share of a closing committee. Knew going in he had the LHP thing working against him, but with them wanting to get some value out of Marmol I don't expect Russell to get many save ops. I had such high hopes for the Muscle too. :,-(

Also (way down the road speculative) Soria pulled a pec and won't be pitching for the Rangers until July if everything goes right. I had him as a potential guy to take over for Nathan when he leaves the team (keeper leagues only), but he needs to get enough time against ML hitters to show management if he's back or not. Else they will go a different route instead of leaving that to chance. !+)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Rondon has been called back up
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Chances Bailey hold on to the closing job? Sounds like he will get another week or two before Hanrahan is healthy, and you have to think if he does well during that time that he may hold on to the closing gig.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -14)

Postby eneric » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

converge241 wrote:Rondon has been called back up

Whoa! That's kind of big news. He's got to get another chance at the closer role right?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 pm

I just picked him up in a 12 team league. Mind you in this league I left the draft without a closer (wasn't planning on it, but oh well) so I currently have Pestano, Gregerson, James Russell, and David Robertson.

I just cut Robertson to pick up Rondon. For me the juice is worth the squeeze.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:28 pm

eneric wrote:

Whoa! That's kind of big news. He's got to get another chance at the closer role right?

Doubt it. They didn't resign Valverde to close for the Mudhens.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 25)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm

this is what rotoworld says.
Tigers recalled RHP Bruce Rondon from Triple-A Toledo.
He'll take the place of Octavio Dotel, who was placed on the disabled list with right elbow inflammation. Rondon failed to win a bullpen spot out of spring training, but he began his season with 9/2 K/BB ratio over 7 2/3 scoreless frames at the Triple-A level. The hard-throwing rookie is unlikely to close right away, but he could wind up getting some save chances. Feel free to speculate in deeper fantasy formats.

I don't think he would close, but in a deep league he could still be useful. in AAA this season he had 7.2 IP, 0 R, 9 K, 2 BB.. and 3 saves.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Valverde could also be with Detroit soon.
Jose Valverde is expected to join the Tigers' bullpen within the next couple of days.
Valverde was spotted on a flight to Detroit on Tuesday afternoon and could be added to the major league roster as early as Wednesday. The veteran right-hander will have to first prove himself in a middle relief role before being considered for save opportunities. Joaquin Benoit remains the Tigers' primary ninth-inning man for now.

have to see what will happen. this is rotoworld speculation on role.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby West » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:12 pm

wingman3110 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Is Russell even worth holding onto? Seemed like he was 4th in line to begin with and they didn't even give him much of a shot when everyone in front of him collapsed.

I'm holding onto him until I see Marmol convert successful saves. Russell's numbers have been outstanding this year thus far (knock on wood) so no reason for me to let him go yet.

I wouldn't put much stock in Russell's performance thus far. It's a tiny sample size and mostly vs. LHP. He'll only ever be a LOOGY and if they ever stuck him at closer he wouldn't hold the job because he can't get righties out (Same problem as Coke - look how he turned out). Look, you can use him - Russell will provide okay ratios and okay K numbers along with the occasional situational save but if they start trying to use him outside of his role he'll blow up.

Tigers - Benoit has the job but not a great hold on it. My opinion is that they have always preferred him in the 8th because they don't want to use him on back to back days as a closer. There are 3 guys to speculate on and I can't see a frontrunner at this time. In a shallow league you could wait but in deeper leagues you need to make your guess now and go with it. Albuquerque has gotten his stuff together the last few outings and is second in line until Valverde comes up. Rondon has an outside shot, Valverde has an outside shot. Things will be come a lot clearer when they start pitching or Leyland starts talking. I'd say there's less than a 50% chance that Benoit holds the job the rest of the way.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm

BREAKING NEWS!
from rotoworld.
The Tigers will add Jose Valverde to the roster prior to Wednesday's game, and manager Jim Leyland said the righty will be his closer.

plus Detroit Tigers official twitter.
Valverde will be with the club in Detroit tomorrow and manager Jim Leyland says he will be the team's closer.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame