Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 am

J35J wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:Mujica likes Boggs as the closer.
#Cardinals setup man Edward Mujica, a steadying hand, has opinion on who should handle the ninth inning:

"For me, Boggsy is the man right there," said righty Edward Mujica, who has pitched the seventh inning mostly for the Cardinals. On Sunday, he helped the club escape from a ninth-inning mess, and afterward he made the case for a status quote with Mitchell Boggs in the ninth. "He’s got the ninth inning. Rosey has the eighth and I’ve got the seventh. Boggsy is the man. He has to be there. He’s got pretty good stuff. He’s got pretty good stuff. We’re trying to keep it going because we’ve got a long season. It’s different (in the ninth). It’s totally different in those three innings, very different in the ninth. You have to go out there and be as quick as possible. You try to have the save and the win for the team. It's totally different (in the ninth). You have to prepare your mind and everything."

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different...not really news worthy.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different either if he is supporting his teammate. but he says it's just different pitching the 9th and it sounds like he wouldn't have confidence in getting the job done himself. I'd like to see Mujica say something like if he does get the opportunity that he feels he can get the job done. I would want my closer to be like, I got this. but I don't get that feeling in what Mujica is saying.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
J35J wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:Mujica likes Boggs as the closer.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different...not really news worthy.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different either if he is supporting his teammate. but he says it's just different pitching the 9th and it sounds like he wouldn't have confidence in getting the job done himself. I'd like to see Mujica say something like if he does get the opportunity that he feels he can get the job done. I would want my closer to be like, I got this. but I don't get that feeling in what Mujica is saying.

He's not the closer, so he's not going to say that. He's just supporting his teammate and trying not to rock the boat, which is exactly what I'd want my guy to say even if he is knocking on the door of replacing him.

With that said, we're getting off topic of what this thread should be so I'm bowing out. :)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Norby » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:29 am

Mujica? Please. That is some pretty heavy duty reading between the lines annointing Mujica as the next closer. And even if he does get the gig, it won't be long before he's out too.

Rosenthal is still the add here for the long haul this season unless the Cards trade for a proven closer.
Norby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby wackadoodle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 am

So what is the feeling Axford will come back like last season? I am on the fence here. I've got an offer for Henderson in one of my NL leagues and am thinking it is time to strike while the iron is hot.
You're so ugly that if you were a dog I'd shave your butt and teach you to walk backwards!
wackadoodle
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Norby wrote:Mujica? Please. That is some pretty heavy duty reading between the lines annointing Mujica as the next closer. And even if he does get the gig, it won't be long before he's out too.

Rosenthal is still the add here for the long haul this season unless the Cards trade for a proven closer.

Pretty sure it ceases to be "reading between the lines" when Matheny mentions it as a possibility. Don't want him, don't pick him up.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby West » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 pm

wackadoodle wrote:So what is the feeling Axford will come back like last season? I am on the fence here. I've got an offer for Henderson in one of my NL leagues and am thinking it is time to strike while the iron is hot.

You're going to have to use your gut on this one, but if I'm going with my gut I'm betting on Henderson. Axford's velocity has been all over the map in the small sample size thus far. It's possibly just be an early season thing and he may come out of it. I'm definitely not betting on Axford at this point as Henderson has been lights out thus far.

Norby wrote:Mujica? Please. That is some pretty heavy duty reading between the lines annointing Mujica as the next closer. And even if he does get the gig, it won't be long before he's out too.

I can see Mujica as a temporary stopgap while Boggs and Rosenthal figure things out. Rosenthal has actually been fine, just getting unlucky with hits falling in and the strand rate. And the HR he gave up was to one of the best if not THE best hitter in the game, Braun. Boggs' velocity has been fine but other than that I haven't analyzed his meltdowns. My money's still on Rosenthal as the long term buy.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Bailey on to close today.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby threelions » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm

thedude wrote:Bailey on to close today.

and blew it in no time, I'm leading all my leagues in BS.
12-team h2h 5X5 non-keeper
J.Montero,Pujols,Craig,Plouffe,Middlebrooks,TROUT,Gordon,Ethier,Butler
KingFelix,Cain,Price,McCarthy,Lewis,Hansen
Myers,Nathan,Casilla,Romo
threelions
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 pm

If Janssen doesn't qualify as "solid," I don't know who does. Especially with Santos on the DL again.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 am

I didn't see the Cardinals 10-6 game over the Pirates. Boggs finished the game in a non save situation, but did have some runners on in the 9th.
this from yahoo.
- M. Boggs relieved M. Rzepczynski
- G. Jones walked
- N. Walker grounded into double play second to shortstop to first, G. Jones out at second
- J. Tabata singled to shallow left
- J. Tabata to second on fielder's indifference
- R. Martin struck out swinging

apparently Mujica was in the bullpen warming up while this was happening. maybe it can also be noted that Rosenthal had pitched the day before.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame