Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 pm

I think it might be Herrera's job even if Holland gets out of this jam.
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Prooks25 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Holland gets out of it without giving up a run, looked good striking out mauer but otherwise was awful again.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -147)

Postby West » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 pm

Holland having trouble locating his fastball. Walks the bases full but battles and gets Mauer. Could have been a real nightmare in the rain. Velocity is fine. He just needs to settle in. Herrera was warming up once he loaded the bases.

Boggs looking a heck of a lot better tonight facing the meat of the Reds order. Rosenthal looked great too but Boggs just bought himself a lot more leash.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Also notable that Rosenthal pitched the 8th, and Boggs the 9th. Both clean innings with a K apiece and no walks. Boggs still the man until he screws up again.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 am

Maybe he prefers the opinion of a large group of people over the opinion of one person. Don't blame him, to be honest. Things change very quickl. It's not easy to constantly update the first page and there's no way to know when each team's pecking order has been updated. For instance, Axford has been usurped by Henderson but is still listed as the closer, Herrera is next in line for the struggling Holland yet Crow is listed as next in line, etc.

But yes, Storen would probably take over if something happened to Soriano. It'll take a couple more outings like tonight for Soriano to be in danger, though. At $14M/yr they must be pretty confident in him.
Last edited by Skin Blues on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 am

Skin Blues wrote:Yep Billingsley is trying to do the same thing. He's a ticking time bomb, if you ask me. Could be partially why the Dodgers signed 2 big FA starting pitchers despite having a full rotation. I guess Takashi Saito did it successfully 5 years ago. It's pretty rare though. In most cases it just delays TJ surgery.

I'd go with Rosenthal over Axford. He probably won't kill your ratios while you wait to see if he'll get any save chances.

Ervin Santana never got TJ but then again he has not been the same pitcher since he strained his UCL. It delayed Brett Anderson's TJ by a year. I think there are a few more examples but most of the guys that avoided TJ weren't the same pitcher.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 am

I can imagine that Holland can have many more outings like this and keep his job, especially with the way Herrera has been pitching. If there's a save opp tomorrow I'm guessing it goes to Herrera since Holland threw so many pitches today. If he comes into a game and shuts it down I could see him running away the job.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby West » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:I can imagine that Holland can have many more outings like this and keep his job, especially with the way Herrera has been pitching. If there's a save opp tomorrow I'm guessing it goes to Herrera since Holland threw so many pitches today. If he comes into a game and shuts it down I could see him running away the job.

He's not going to run away with it with one save. It will take at least one more Holland meltdown, probably two.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame