Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

West wrote:Holland's velocity is fine and he is just pressing right now. I don't see Herrera as a lock for anything as the Royals have tons of options in the pen.

Oh he's a lock for next in line, no question about that.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby isayfujobu » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 am

never forget

isayfujobu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 am

kevinbaseballer wrote:Would you rather have Boggs or Henderson the rest of the way?

I'd go with Henderson right at this moment but Motte is getting his injury checked out today so if you can wait just one more day the picture will be a lot clearer. If they say Motte is out for the year I might go with Boggs even though I think that would mean Rosenthal leads the team in saves. Henderson did not pitch well yesterday though just to be clear, he couldn't throw a productive off speed pitch and just went fastball after fastball and almost gave up the game losing HR if the wind hadn't changed directions.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby eneric » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:06 pm

And Benoit proceeds to surrender a solo hot to Rasmus in a non-save situation. :-o What do we make of this? :-?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

eneric wrote:And Benoit proceeds to surrender a solo hot to Rasmus in a non-save situation. :-o What do we make of this? :-?

Go pick up Tom Henke in every league he's available in!

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, if Soria gets healthy he could start vulturing some saves beginning in June. Heard the hope is they can keep Nathan from going back-to-back occasionally by using him in order to keep Joe fresh.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

They said they'd stop using him so much last year, and then they went and used him 3 or 4 days three separate times (all three occasions included at least one game with a 3 or 4 run lead), and then in both ends of a double header on the last day of the season. They say they want to be careful and then Washington does everything he can to over-use him in unnecessary situations. In April, they had Nathan throw for a 4th consecutive day to close out a 4-1 lead. So I doubt we'll see anybody but Nathan closing out games this season barring injury or ineffectiveness.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 pm

I think a lot of that was lack of confidence in the other candidates from Wash. Since Soria is a "proven" closer, if he comes back and throws well I could see Wash use him occasionally. That said, you're right that it is Wash so he might use Nathan in 9 straight days and then start him on the 10th day.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby West » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 pm

J35J wrote:
West wrote:Holland's velocity is fine and he is just pressing right now. I don't see Herrera as a lock for anything as the Royals have tons of options in the pen.

Oh he's a lock for next in line, no question about that.

He is next in line right now, yes. If he gets a shot and has one or two rough outings I can see them going to Crow without hesitation. That's what I meant. Herrera is 23 and has one year of experience under his belt. I understand they like his stuff but managers don't always give youngsters much leash because they are perceived as more volatile.

But definitely Herrera is the pickup though I doubt he's available in anything outside public leagues.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby bayside » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Has anyone found any news on Mottes MRI?
If theres damage that causes him to miss more time than expected then I think Rosenthal shoots up this list
West wrote:
kevinbaseballer wrote:Would you rather have Boggs or Henderson the rest of the way?

Ranking the interims/next in lines:
Fujikawa
Benoit
Boggs
Henderson
Herrera
Rosenthal
Crow

Has anyone found any news on Mottes MRI?
If theres damage that causes him to miss more time than expected then I think Rosenthal shoots up this list
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:20 pm

I heard on the radio that Motte had the MRI but the doctors haven't reviewed it yet.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame