Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby West » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Sveum said he is sticking with Marmol but he implied that the leash is definitely shorter. The same thing happened last year and we had to sit through James Russell/Rafael Dolis while Marmol struggled.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Is Frank Francisco worth holding onto in a pretty deep league where I don't have an open DL spot? Thinking I should just use the roster slot to pick up speculative guys like Henderson or Delabar?
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby West » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Axford has a longer leash even given what happened today. Last year was an aberration in my opinion. Look at his strand rate (68%) and HR/FB (19.2%) - well off his career norms. His XFIP was 3.29. For some reason he couldn't locate the ball as well but I think he will be fine this year.

While I am not a Frankie fan I think he is more likely to take over for Parnell than Henderson is for Axford. Delabar is not really in the mix once Santos is 100%, and I think Janssen holds the job all year anyway.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Just saw that janssen is still working on getting fully healthy and Delabar could get some save ops to start the season. I'll just hold onto Francisco for now.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby cordscords » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:43 pm

West wrote:Axford has a longer leash even given what happened today. Last year was an aberration in my opinion. Look at his strand rate (68%) and HR/FB (19.2%) - well off his career norms. His XFIP was 3.29. For some reason he couldn't locate the ball as well but I think he will be fine this year.

I actually like Axford to bounce back, but disagree with his leash. Remember Roenicke did pull him from the role last year, and only got the job back because of a lack of options. If Henderson starts strong and Axford continues to struggle, I wouldn't be surprised to see a switch early.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby West » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:20 pm

This is true. Henderson is a good stash for deeper leagues. But in my opinion he shouldn't be added before a Gregerson/Robertson/Pestano type guy.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:07 pm

cordscords wrote:
I actually like Axford to bounce back, but disagree with his leash. Remember Roenicke did pull him from the role last year, and only got the job back because of a lack of options. If Henderson starts strong and Axford continues to struggle, I wouldn't be surprised to see a switch early.

I think it is pretty long too. I haven't heard any worries about Axford going into the year and I listen to all things Brewers. Now if the Brewers end up signing Valverde which I think is a real possibility then you can start really worrying about Axford. But right now Axford isn't going to lose the job unless he starts walking everyone. He will need a good 3 or 4 bad outings in a row(not counting opening day) to be yanked which is the same with a lot of closers.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby bayside » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 am

I thought Carter Capps was supposed to throw 96-98? At least he apparently did last year.
Hes sitting at just 92-93 with he fastball tonight vs Oakland, 8th inning with a 5 run lead.
Perhaps not the best handcuff in Seattle's pen?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 am

It is April, I'm sure they won't be worried about something like this unless it lasts into May.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame