Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:40 am

West wrote:I think Villarreal is the dark horse. Pitched the 9th today after a Dotel blowup and looked dominant. Something to keep an eye on. Leyland will have a set closer by the third week of April, I promise you that. As he himself has said, the situation is a "second guessers" dream, and he doesn't want to deal with that in the press.

In his last 10 innings in spring training, 4 have come in the 8th inning and 4 in the 9th. Plus, for a guy who they are supposedly being careful with, he's pitched 2 innings once (Mar. 18th) and in back to back games once (Mar. 25/26). I think he's a more than a dark horse...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 am

Some short remarks on the Blue Jays closer sitch -- Gibbons saying they'll be cautious with Janssen to start the year. "We're not going to abuse him early. We'll abuse him late." The article also says, "Gibbons pointed to Steve Delabar and Sergio Santos as options until Janssen is locked in to that closer role."

So the possibility of some rogue saves out of those two. Also, the suggestion that the Blue Jays are still a bit wary about Janssen's health.

The article is titled, "Gibbons keeping options open in bullpen", but the content shouldn't give Janssen owners any worries they won't already have.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... d=43510864
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:00 am

Kodiak wrote:This article makes it sound like Rondon could be back at any moment, perhaps after closing a few games in Toledo. That said, I'm inclined to hang onto him for a couple weeks anyway. It also mentions Brayan Villarreal and Drew Smyly, the latter working the 7th through 9th innings.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... ondon.html

Rondon will have to prove it in AAA before he's promoted. Alburquerque has good stuff but he's small, oft-injured, and has fits of wildness where good MLB hitters will learn to layoff. That being said, Villarreal, even smaller, throws harder, Avg. 97mph last year, but doesn't have the same out pitch that Alburquerque possess. I think Benoit gets first shot based on recent results and durability but he isn't great and neither is Dotel who has had his own bouts of injuries. Coke is more situational but a sleeper might also be the lefty Smyly, though he's slated to pitch long relief, he might produce the best results.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby West » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 am

I don't know why people are even talking about Coke (this is not directed at you Havok as I agree with what you said). I'm talking about all the "experts" who are speculating on Coke right now. All he will do is hog up a precious roster spot while getting maybe 1-3 saves with the potential of ruining your ERA before the job is handed over to the hot hand in Leyland's bullpen. Non-dominant lefties are never good bets to hold a closing job and should be avoided. Think Mike Gonzalez, Scott Downs, Jeremy Affeldt, George Sherrill, Matt Thornton. Several of these guys were very good pitchers but they only held the closing role for a few weeks with their respective teams and only picked up situational saves. You want to own the Glen Perkins and Billy Wagners of the world.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Crippler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:11 pm

West wrote:I don't know why people are even talking about Coke (this is not directed at you Havok as I agree with what you said). I'm talking about all the "experts" who are speculating on Coke right now. All he will do is hog up a precious roster spot while getting maybe 1-3 saves with the potential of ruining your ERA before the job is handed over to the hot hand in Leyland's bullpen. Non-dominant lefties are never good bets to hold a closing job and should be avoided. Think Mike Gonzalez, Scott Downs, Jeremy Affeldt, George Sherrill, Matt Thornton. Several of these guys were very good pitchers but they only held the closing role for a few weeks with their respective teams and only picked up situational saves. You want to own the Glen Perkins and Billy Wagners of the world.

Good Idea, I'll Pick Up Perkins...Oh Wait, He was Drafted In Every League On Earth
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby West » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Okay.
Last edited by West on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Crippler wrote:
West wrote:I don't know why people are even talking about Coke (this is not directed at you Havok as I agree with what you said). I'm talking about all the "experts" who are speculating on Coke right now. All he will do is hog up a precious roster spot while getting maybe 1-3 saves with the potential of ruining your ERA before the job is handed over to the hot hand in Leyland's bullpen. Non-dominant lefties are never good bets to hold a closing job and should be avoided. Think Mike Gonzalez, Scott Downs, Jeremy Affeldt, George Sherrill, Matt Thornton. Several of these guys were very good pitchers but they only held the closing role for a few weeks with their respective teams and only picked up situational saves. You want to own the Glen Perkins and Billy Wagners of the world.

Good Idea, I'll Pick Up Perkins...Oh Wait, He was Drafted In Every League On Earth

He didn't say to pick up Perkins, he said that is the type of guy you want to own. Big difference. It's not like he's suggesting you go pick up Billy Wagner. Maybe try some reading comprehension before posting.

And West, you should probably edit your post to tone it down.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:16 pm

When will Billy Wagner be added to the database?!?! WHIR!

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby daullaz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm

A lot of people are talking about Coke as an option because, with this same group last year, Coke finished six of the Tigers' eight playoff games in the ALCS and WS, picking up two saves in the ALCS. Valverde blew Game 1 of the Yankees' series, so in essence Coke finished six of seven potential games after Valverde was demoted. If going only by recent history, Coke is clearly the preferred option of Jim Leyland. However, I'm in the camp that it'll be Benoit a majority of the time.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Coke is the safe bet to get a few saves while not killing your stats and in deep leagues that has value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame