Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Garry26 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 am

For the Brewers it appears Francisco Rodriguez is the closer of late.

For Arizona, it was Bell, but now Sportsline says Ziegler even though others say it's Putz.

What's the situation in those? Especially Arizona.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Garry26 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:15 pm

@ jackie

The BoSox don't need a closer. Uehara can close and if they don't like him, they also have Bailey.

If Miami get rid of Cishek, they'll be in the same situation as in the start of the season: Trying out relievers and praying.

Burton would be the best choice to take over for Glen.

If K-Rod goes, then Henderson is probably the closer. Unless he falters. You know how it is. One or two fails in quick succession and you're gone.

If Veras goes, then it's Cisnero

The problem with teams that are in rebuilding mode for years to come is: What are htey going to do? Constantly train closers to trade for prospects?
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 38)

Postby Nerveclinic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Garry26 wrote:@ jackie

The BoSox don't need a closer. Uehara can close and if they don't like him, they also have Bailey.

It's starting to look like Bailey might be toast with shoulder issues.
Nerveclinic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Garry26 wrote:@ jackie

If Miami get rid of Cishek, they'll be in the same situation as in the start of the season: Trying out relievers and praying.

Burton would be the best choice to take over for Glen.

If K-Rod goes, then Henderson is probably the closer. Unless he falters. You know how it is. One or two fails in quick succession and you're gone.

If Veras goes, then it's Cisnero

The problem with teams that are in rebuilding mode for years to come is: What are htey going to do? Constantly train closers to trade for prospects?

I think you're replying to eneric, not me. Not sure about Henderson. I hope that's what happens, since I still have Henderson in a number of leagues, but Axford has been better lately. (Though he could get moved, as well.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Grab Brothers if he's free: Betancourt to DL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/272 ... betancourt
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby go tribe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 am

News from Chicago......When/If Gregg gets shipped out.....look to Pedro Strop... From Rotoworld/Chicago Trib

Cubs manager Dale Sveum said Saturday that Pedro Strop would be "one of the higher candidates" to close if Kevin Gregg is traded.

Advice: Sveum indicated before Strop's arrival that Blake Parker might be next in line for saves after Gregg, but it appears that Strop has passed him up. The former Oriole has eight strikeouts over 6 2/3 scoreless innings since arriving in Chicago. "He's obviously one of the higher candidates just because he's pitched in high-profile games already in the big leagues," said Sveum. "He's got the stuff, he's got the velocity. He's got a strike slider, he's got a wipeout slider. . He has a good time on the mound. He's not scared of anything. Those are the kind of guys you want out there."
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bwanna » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 pm

I was proactive this morning and dropped Gregg for Strop in a couple of leagues - even if the Cubs don't trade him (low risk there), my guess is his non-suckiness will regress to his standard suckiness soon enough.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby cardsfan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Ziegler officially named Dbacks closer
cardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby go tribe » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:58 pm

tough decision but I chose Strop over Ziegler with my one open spot. While Ziegler is IN the closer seast and the DBacks will get more wins...and in theory more save opportunities, Ziegler's weak fastball and some of his recent performance gave me cause for concern. Meanwhile, Gregg first needs to get traded (or stink I suppose and get bumped), then Strop needs to get the nod. But take a peek at Strop's numbers over the last 8 or so games and I will hope he gets the chance.

time will tell....
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cardsfan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Grilli left Monday's game with an undisclosed injury.
Spin:
He seemed to be nursing his right elbow. Vin Mazzaro came on in relief, but Mark Melancon would likely serve as the team's primary closer if Grilli was forced to miss time.
cardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame