Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Henderson is apparently locked into the setup role now (at least until somebody gets traded). 3rd straight time, I think? KRod seems to be alone here. I haven't been able to find any official statement, but the usage is clear enough.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:03 am

jackie hayes wrote:Henderson is apparently locked into the setup role now (at least until somebody gets traded). 3rd straight time, I think? KRod seems to be alone here. I haven't been able to find any official statement, but the usage is clear enough.

Happened same way last night also.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:13 am

Bailey could be the closer again really soon. If he was dropped in your league, I'd pick him up.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ss ... rn_to.html
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 21)

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm

According to ‏@closernews -- who you should follow if you're not already -- current closers who could be traded this month: Veras, Cishek, Gregg, Street, K-Rod. Perkins, Janssen are longshots.

So based on that list, would your first grabs be Cisnero/Wright, Ramos, Russell/Blake Parker, Gregerson, Axford/Henderson, Burton, Cecil/Delabar?
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 132)

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Millhouse wrote:According to ‏@closernews -- who you should follow if you're not already -- current closers who could be traded this month: Veras, Cishek, Gregg, Street, K-Rod. Perkins, Janssen are longshots.

So based on that list, would your first grabs be Cisnero/Wright, Ramos, Russell/Blake Parker, Gregerson, Axford/Henderson, Burton, Cecil/Delabar?

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the setup guy might be on the block, too. Like with the Mike Adams/Heath Bell scenario a couple years ago.

Where Parker and Cecil carry SP-eligibility, they would be particularly helpful. I still like Henderson over Axford, but it's just a guess.

If Perkins was traded into a setup role, that would seriously suck for me.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 18)

Postby eneric » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 am

Millhouse wrote:According to ‏@closernews -- who you should follow if you're not already -- current closers who could be traded this month: Veras, Cishek, Gregg, Street, K-Rod. Perkins, Janssen are longshots.

Street really? I thought the Padres signed him to an extension last season? Would that still make him a likely trade target? Wouldn't Gregerson be more likely traded than Street?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 am

garf112 wrote:Why didn't Tommy Hunter get a save last night? He pitched two innings and they "only" had a lead of 5. Is that scorer's choice? If so, does anyone have the scorer's address?

2 innings with a 5 Run lead is not a defined Save opportunity. Unless he goes 3 innings, he needs to enter the game with the potential tying run at least on deck (or at bat or on base). Doesn't sound like he met the criteria in any way. The only qualification he met for a Save was actually finishing the game.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 617)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 am

Casey Janssen couldn't get the job done last night and was pulled to have Steve Delabar come in and get the 1 out save.
wasn't there talk of the Jays trading Janssen? Delabar could step in and close.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 45)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Casey Janssen couldn't get the job done last night and was pulled to have Steve Delabar come in and get the 1 out save.
wasn't there talk of the Jays trading Janssen? Delabar could step in and close.

i was watching it. He didn't have his best stuff, but wasn't too bad. He should have gotten the save but Kawasaki committed a throwing error on what should have been the final out. For some reason they pulled Janssen after the error. Delabar got the final out on 1 pitch.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:27 am

Papelbon? Could see him getting moved if the Phillies decide that their recent improved play will not result in a playoff run.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame