Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Quackman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:15 pm

SupaSLY11 wrote:Rondon called up. Any chance he gets to close? I know Leyland has never been sold on Benoit in the 9th and Rondon was suppose to be the guy coming into the season.

Personally i think the Tigers dont see him as ready or seasoned enough to take on the closer role. Id say they are giving him another shot in the 7th or 8th but he could easily go right back down. Certainly some chance he could close though, hes killed it in aaa.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby datelin3 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 pm

go tribe wrote:
Quackman wrote:anyone have some insight on potential closer trades?

or who might be a candidate to get into a trade....especially a trade that opens up a spot for a player not closing today....

example (ONLY), K-Rod traded from Milwaukee to DETROIT,,,,

that kind of thing???

thanks

Gregg rumored to be moved .. I would say Blake Parker is the speculative add there
Also, the Twins could get a lot back for Perkins if they pulled that trigger .. Burton would be that handcuff
datelin3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Putz will be activated tomorrow. might close right away.
Nick Piecoro ‏@nickpiecoro 6m

Gibson not very definitive on this topic but said Putz could be the closer tomorrow. But also won't be used right away on back-to-back days.

Rondon will not close.
by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com
(4:12 pm ET) Tigers reliever Bruce Rondon will not be used as the closer, according to manager Jim Leyland.

Rondon was recalled Friday and will likely be used in the sixth and seventh innings. Rondon had a 1.52 ERA through 29 2/3 innings at Triple-A Toledo.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby go tribe » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Rondon will not close.
(4:12 pm ET) Tigers reliever Bruce Rondon will not be used as the closer, according to manager Jim Leyland.

Rondon was recalled Friday and will likely be used in the sixth and seventh innings. Rondon had a 1.52 ERA through 29 2/3 innings at Triple-A Toledo.
[/quote]

Sure. What's the over/under on how many games until Rondon gets his first save opportunity? I say one week's worth...meaning he closes beginning a week from tomorrow.
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 pm

go tribe wrote:Rondon will not close.

Sure. What's the over/under on how many games until Rondon gets his first save opportunity? I say one week's worth...meaning he closes beginning a week from tomorrow.[/quote]
Ehh, you really never know with Leyland. Rondon was supposed to be the closer in April, I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion he'll be locking games down over Benoit. Still, I'd certainly grab him as insurance or speculatively, if I needed Saves. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't pan out, though, and he pitches in the 7th or 8th inning.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby NZ Eff » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:58 pm

garf112 wrote:Tommy Hunter with the 2 inning save. Anybody know if he is the new closer?

No he is not the new closer. Johnson resting after pitching 3 of the past 4 days.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Bozo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 pm

If Hunter was truly the closer the Orioles would not have pitched him for two innings. Johnson just needed a breather, he's still the man.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:58 pm

tonight Hunter got the save because Johnson has been used the previous 3 days. but what are the chances Hunter at some point could become the closer?

this from rotoworld.
Tommy Hunter notched a six-out save in Friday's win over the Yankees.
Hunter gave up one run while striking out three and walking none. Jim Johnson has looked vulnerable at times this season and blew his most recent save chance on Wednesday, so Orioles manager Buck Showalter wanted to go in another direction Friday. It's not clear whether this was a one-time deal or not, but feel free to pick up Hunter if you are desperate for saves in fantasy leagues.

they did get it wrong though. Hunter gave up 1 HIT, not 1 RUN.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:59 am

Rex Brothers converted his fifth save of the season Friday against the Giants.
Rafael Betancourt was activated from the disabled list Friday, but apparently Rockies manager Walt Weiss wants to ease him back into the ninth inning. While Brothers notched the save, his 32-outing scoreless streak came to an end on a solo homer by Buster Posey. Still, he has a ridiculous 0.52 ERA and 37/17 K/BB ratio in 34 1/3 innings this season.

The above from Rotoworld.

Rex Brothers did not get a save Friday. He came into the 9th in a non save situation. Rotoworld has really gone down hill this season with their player comments. So many inacurracies and very ordinary fantasy advice at times Not sure who is supplying their info but I notice that Yahoo are sourcing their comments.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame