Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:15 pm

according to John Lott, Gibbons says that he’s “got no doubts” that Casey Janssen– who will get in an inning of work today– will start the season as the club’s closer
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkultra » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

bigh0rt wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Does Frank Francisco have a shot at the closer job when he's back or is it Parnell's for good?

Frank Frank could get it back. Parnell is far from a certainty there.

I'm inclined to think Parnell keeps the job as long as he delivers. Francisco actually has better career numbers as a setup guy.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 am

Snakes Gould wrote:I still think Santos is a worthy candidate to stash right now for what it's worth. Previous closing experience, fairly decent numbers, incumbent coming off injury....I'll take a flier.

I have both of them in a no bench league and I'm going to leave them both in my lineup for a few weeks while I see how it plays out.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 am

Bard is looking like he will not start the year in the majors, so I do not see him in line for the closer role any time soon.

* Clayton Mortensen, who is out of options, has been the leader in the race for the final bullpen spot against Daniel Bard, but he did himself no favors by allowing two home runs Monday -- a two-run moon shot to left by Adam Jones and a solo blast to center by Matt Wieters. Mortensen, who now has a 5.79 ERA this spring, surrendered his first homers of the Grapefruit League, but also struck out two to increase his total this spring to six.

“I’m definitely aware of it, but it doesn’t play a huge factor in the way I pitch,” Mortensen said. “Whatever happens, happens.”

Bard, who has options, pitched well against the Phillies on Sunday, striking out the side after allowing an unearned run due to an error by Dustin Pedroia. The 27-year-old right-hander, who has a 3.86 ERA this spring, has 10 strikeouts with three walks over seven Grapefruit League innings.

Despite Mortensen’s poor showing, Farrell did not seem concerned.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/ ... re-bradley
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am

mkultra wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Does Frank Francisco have a shot at the closer job when he's back or is it Parnell's for good?

Frank Frank could get it back. Parnell is far from a certainty there.

I'm inclined to think Parnell keeps the job as long as he delivers. Francisco actually has better career numbers as a setup guy.

I'm not expecting Parnell to deliver. He never has over a reasonable stretch, and I won't believe he can until he actually shows me. They've had him close games before and he's been downright dreadful until the end of last season. I'd love to see him excel and cement himself there for several years with the Mets, but I just am not expecting it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am

Surely, SHIRLEY ... Marmol will be traded soon after the season starts... ?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 am

Bwanna wrote:Surely, SHIRLEY ... Marmol will be traded soon after the season starts... ?

Probably not until closer to the deadline. I see drafting his backup as more of a "next year" play.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Bwanna wrote:Surely, SHIRLEY ... Marmol will be traded soon after the season starts... ?

Depends on how well he does. If shows he can actually pitch I expect him to be moved sooner than later. If he implodes the cubs might not even be able to unload him. Either way I don't see him being the closer come July.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Doubt Rondon will break camp after today's performance. !+)
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame