Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby bali dawgs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:51 pm

I know Valverde sucks, and I know he's the closer right now. I've picked up Benoit in the short term in case there's an immediate switch. Rondon is destroying it in triple AAA, but I think Smyly might actually get a shot, and I think he may really do well.

I recently read something stating that Leyland wants to begin using Smyly in higher pressure situations (though I can't remember well). How may of y'all think he's got a shot at getting a shot? What do y'all think he'll do if given the opportunity?

Cheers:

Aaron
bali dawgs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:42 pm

bali dawgs wrote:I know Valverde sucks, and I know he's the closer right now. I've picked up Benoit in the short term in case there's an immediate switch. Rondon is destroying it in triple AAA, but I think Smyly might actually get a shot, and I think he may really do well.

I recently read something stating that Leyland wants to begin using Smyly in higher pressure situations (though I can't remember well). How may of y'all think he's got a shot at getting a shot? What do y'all think he'll do if given the opportunity?

Cheers:

Aaron

I wouldn't want Smyly as the closer personally....he's an injury or prolonged slump away from being a starter again. He's a solid starter too. He's also a lefty and generally you don't often have lefty closers if you can help it, unless you are just dominant...see Wagner or Chapman types. But yeah, continue to use him in as many higher leverage situations as you can, especially if you can utilize his strengths and let him go 2-3+ innings at a time.

With all that said, I have no idea what their plans are, that's just what I'd be thinking.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby bali dawgs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks J35J. I thought the fact that they brought someone up to spot start last week pretty much said that they didn't see Smyly as a starter this year.

A
bali dawgs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:11 pm

in spring training it was said that Leyland didn't want Benoit being used on back to back days. otherwise Valverde might not have even been signed. they've tried other options before Valverde came in and got the job, and they didn't work. the only player I see on Detroit that I could see getting a shot would be Rondon, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. even if Rondon was to come up, I think he would need to prove he can be good at the major league level. he can dominate all he wants in AAA, but he hasn't been as good in his brief major league experience. I don't think he would/should be trusted right away if he was to come up.
other than that maybe the Tigers can make a trade to bring in someone new.
but for now I don't see a reason to panic and make a switch. Valverde might not be as good as he used to be, but he could still be a serviceable closer.
if teams panicked over a few games stretch of not doing so well, closers would be getting changed all the time.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Quackman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Valverde isnt going anywhere for a while. Maybe 2 or 3 more BS something might happen. Might. Benoit isnt even worth a speculation add at this point. Tigers already tried their backup plan for Valverde and it wasnt working to start the year, thats why they signed him.

I could see them pulling off a trade for a closer. Thats a real possibility if Valverde's struggles continue. I dont see them giving it to Benoit or anyone inside Detroit. Nobody really knows but thats my 2c.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:51 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:in spring training it was said that Leyland didn't want Benoit being used on back to back days. otherwise Valverde might not have even been signed. they've tried other options before Valverde came in and got the job, and they didn't work. the only player I see on Detroit that I could see getting a shot would be Rondon, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. even if Rondon was to come up, I think he would need to prove he can be good at the major league level. he can dominate all he wants in AAA, but he hasn't been as good in his brief major league experience. I don't think he would/should be trusted right away if he was to come up.
other than that maybe the Tigers can make a trade to bring in someone new.
but for now I don't see a reason to panic and make a switch. Valverde might not be as good as he used to be, but he could still be a serviceable closer.
if teams panicked over a few games stretch of not doing so well, closers would be getting changed all the time.

Leyland did say that, but eventually, he did kinda sorta, half-heartedly endorse the idea of Benoit as the closer. (Just a bit before they signed Valverde, maybe?) I think you're right, it's unlikely, and the Tigers haven't shown any comfort with the idea, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. (If Valverde has a couple more implosions.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:58 pm

@freeptigers
Detroit Tigers coverage from John Lowe and the Detroit Free Press.
Freep Tigers ‏@freeptigers 16m

Leyland in reiterating Valverde is closer: "We have nine blown saves and he has three of them."

Freep Tigers ‏@freeptigers 15m

Leyland says there should be more talk about all low-scoring losses the last few weeks and lack of runs.

Freep Tigers ‏@freeptigers 14m

And Leyland said he is done talking about the closing situation. His comments add up to this:

Freep Tigers ‏@freeptigers 14m

Valverde is best player Tigers have for that role.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Street is back.
Padres activated RHP Huston Street from the 15-day disabled list.
The Padres were pleased with how Street threw the ball during a minor league rehab assignment, and he appears to be completely recovered from his strained left calf. The Padres' closer has converted 11 of his first 12 save chances while posting a 4.43 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 13/8 K/BB ratio in 20 1/3 innings.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:17 pm

speculation at this point, but worth mentioning.

@JSalisburyCSN
#Phillies Insider for @CSNPhilly.com
Jim Salisbury ‏@JSalisburyCSN 1h

High-ranking Detroit scout here for Phillies-Rockies. Significance unknown. But Tigers have closer issues and Pap could be in play in July.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby footballisbetter.com » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:59 pm

my closers are dropping like flies..

Tom Wilhelmsen will not be closing for at least his next two or three outings. The Mariners want to see Wilhelmsen in some non-save situations to work on better locating his pitches. They will mix-and-match save opportunities for now, with no specific pitcher deisgnated for that.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame