Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:18 am

Might have been a bit hasty, but I dropped League already in my 10 team mixed league. I just don't see a circumstance where he gets the gig back at this point. Even if Kenley implodes, it seems like they would look elsewhere.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 am

go tribe wrote:Does anyone have a feel for what's up with the Angels? Is Frieri firmly entrenched? Who would be behind him? Any other potential changes of late? will pick up KRod for the final two saves (he's hurt me with that one bad night) but what other suggestions do you have? All current number ones are taken....

I own

Balfour
Brothers
Gregerson

With Madson's setbacks I would think Frieri is pretty safe. If you're looking for a possible handcuff it would most likely be Coello at this point in time.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:53 pm

AHF wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:Looks like Stanton took Henderson deep in the 8th inning... didn't watch the game, but I assume MIL was planning on easing him back into the closer's spot?

MIL has said they plan on letting K-Rod get his 300th save (I think he still needs 2) before reinstalling Henderson. A few more performances like this could change those plans. (Crossing fingers...)

I think you're right, but I'm not too worried about Henderson. No walks, 3 k, just a couple hits. Unfortunately, the second was a Stanton homer, but despite his struggles, he could do that to anyone.

Here's a link to what Roenicke said before they activated Henderson. But it's basically just what was said above by BravesGuy and AHF:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/210751161.html
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Coello just hit the DL with shoulder soreness. I think Frieri is pretty safe.

I also dropped League, but in a 12 team mixed. It was a blessing since I already had Jansen, so now I just don't have to deal with League's crappiness. I don't know why the Dodgers are infatuated with putting crappy pitchers into the closer role (when was the last Javy Guerra sighting?) but I think Jansen has a firm hold on the job.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 pm

sometimes I really F'n hate rotoworld and there OPINIONS!

After coming in with a man on first, Jose Valverde gave up a two-run homer to Lorenzo Cain to take a blown save on Wednesday.
Manager Jim Leyland left Drew Smyly in to face fellow left-hander Eric Hosmer to start the ninth in a 2-0 game, even though Hosmer has hit lefties better than righties this year. The strategy backfired when Hosmer singled, and Valverde went on to give up his 15th homer in 17 1/3 innings this year. That's two more than he allowed in 69 innings in the regular season last year. Valverde is still an acceptable 9-for-12 saving games for the Tigers, but he doesn't look like any sort of long-term fix. We'd be surprised if he finishes the season on Detroit's roster.

it's only his 3rd blown save.
there was absolutely no reason to finish by saying Valverde doesn't look like a long term fix, and they would be surprised if he finished the season on the roster. are you F'n kidding me!?
this is what shows up on yahoo fantasy baseball news, stupid rotoworld opinions!

not to mention it was NOT his 15 HR allowed. make that FIVE HR allowed. he still has 17 K in 17.1 IP with only 5 walks. there should be absolutely no reason for concern in Detroit. but if someone reading the pop up news for yahoo on Valverde, it could drastically effect their opinion on Valverde, based on some idiots and their opinions from rotoworld.

I really wish yahoo would smarten up and use another news source rather than rotoworld.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Sigh. Gregerson won't get the save: pulled with 2 outs, man on first, up 5-3. Came in 5-2 lead, 2 hits, ER, fielder's choice, 5-3...and with Heyward up they brought in Tommy Layne, he lets up single, now Upton up with 1st and 3rd, against Vincent....and Upton K's.

I HATE CLOSERS!!
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 151)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Padres don't let Gregerson finish the game. Gregerson came on to start the 9th. he did get 2 out, but also gave up 2 hits. then they go to left handed Tommy Layne to face Heyward. then after Heyward singled, they go to Nick Vincent to face Justin Upton. Upton struck out to end the game, save to Vincent.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:11 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Padres don't let Gregerson finish the game. Gregerson came on to start the 9th. he did get 2 out, but also gave up 2 hits. then they go to left handed Tommy Layne to face Heyward. then after Heyward singled, they go to Nick Vincent to face Justin Upton. Upton struck out to end the game, save to Vincent.

All of a sudden Bud Slack is playing the match up game. He used Thatcher yesterday also in a save situation. A bit late SLACK, you have killed Gregersen.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Valverde does not look good. I see that he's getting K's but he can't miss bats on pitches in the zone. He relies on people chasing bad pitches and eventually they're gonna stop doing that. The walks will become too much and he'll have to start throwing in the zone and he'll get pounded. He's walking a very fine line that is propped up by an insane BABIP of 0.080, and he is even more hittable than last year. I would swap him for a more reliable closer of equal apparent value. Shouldn't be too hard to do given how good most of his peripherals have been so far.

He's given up 10 hits including 5 HR in only 5.1 IP since I posted this. Now would be a good time to pick up Benoit, as Valverde is in all likelihood toast.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby go tribe » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:04 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Padres don't let Gregerson finish the game. Gregerson came on to start the 9th. he did get 2 out, but also gave up 2 hits. then they go to left handed Tommy Layne to face Heyward. then after Heyward singled, they go to Nick Vincent to face Justin Upton. Upton struck out to end the game, save to Vincent.

He doesn't/didn't deserve the Save last night and it was all teed up for him. Gregerson, as the infamous George Steinbrenner once said of SP Jim Beattie after a terrible start, SPIT THE BIT! He has shown over the last 4 days that he doesn't have the nerve or consistency to be a reliable closer just yet. 2 Saves (one facing just one batter) and 2 Blown saves. I dropped him yesterday...and would have done so even IF Street wasn't ready to return. Seems to me having him take a roster space is more risky to my ERA and WHIP than the upside of getting a save. What a blown opportunity for him.
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame