Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:04 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
Fri, Jun 7

19 Action News Investigative Reporter Scott Taylor reports that Chris Perez will be charged with misdemeanor Possession of a Controlled Substance.

Advice: Previous reports stated that Perez was never arrested, but photos of his and his wife's mugshots have surfaced. Taylor reports that the Ohio Attorney General Office found the amount of marijuana delivered to Perez's home was about 5.7 ounces, which is significantly less than previously reported. The reliever and his wife will plead not guilty to the charges. Perez seems unlikely to serve any jail time, but it's possible he could face a suspension from Major League Baseball. He's currently on the disabled list with a shoulder injury.

:-?
thats an automatic suspension isnt it? Its either 25 games, or 50, im not 100% sure, but its gotta be a suspension.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:04 pm

50 years from now when weed is legal everywhere people will talk about how stupid this is.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby angels7777 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 am

Izenhart wrote:50 years from now when weed is legal everywhere people will talk about how stupid this is.

So say the drug addicts...
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 346)

Postby Izenhart » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 am

angels7777 wrote:
Izenhart wrote:50 years from now when weed is legal everywhere people will talk about how stupid this is.

Discussion for another thread, but I'll just say this. When a reporter asked an olympian what the penalty should be for someone caught smoking weed, his answer was the guy should get a head start. It's a proven performance un-enhancer and it's already legal in two states. There are plenty of people who don't use it who think it should be legal. I voted for Ron Paul in the last election, and I'll leave this topic here, because I see you clearly didn't ;-D
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:25 am

NZ Eff wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:it might not end up being a big deal, but I think there is potential there to be damaging. if a closer going 3 innings isn't anything, then why do closers never go 3 innings? if a closer is supposed to be the shut down reliever, bring them on in the 7th.

:-? Are you serious here? If so you need to give back your expert icon.

I wasn't serious about bringing in a closer for the 7th. but when was the last time a closer went 3 innings? I imagine it has happened before this, but I don't remember it.
a pitcher who has never gone more than 2 innings, just went 3 innings. when you go a lengthy time period without going that many innings your arm is not used to it. it's not just the registered pitches which was 55, it's all the warm up pitches as well. he's not a starter or a long reliever who can go 3 innings no problem, he is a closer who most of the time pitches 1 inning. no sitting down and then coming back out for another inning, and then another inning.
I think it was Ventura who had said that if the Sox needed another pitcher to go after Reed, it was going to be offensive player Casper Wells. the only reason Reed even went the 3 was because there was no one else.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:48 am

Izenhart wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

Discussion for another thread, but I'll just say this. When a reporter asked an olympian what the penalty should be for someone caught smoking weed, his answer was the guy should get a head start. It's a proven performance un-enhancer and it's already legal in two states. There are plenty of people who don't use it who think it should be legal. I voted for Ron Paul in the last election, and I'll leave this topic here, because I see you clearly didn't ;-D

How do we take this to another thread and which one? I want to get into this, just not here.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Crippler » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:17 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:it might not end up being a big deal, but I think there is potential there to be damaging. if a closer going 3 innings isn't anything, then why do closers never go 3 innings? if a closer is supposed to be the shut down reliever, bring them on in the 7th.

:-? Are you serious here? If so you need to give back your expert icon.

I wasn't serious about bringing in a closer for the 7th. but when was the last time a closer went 3 innings? I imagine it has happened before this, but I don't remember it.
a pitcher who has never gone more than 2 innings, just went 3 innings. when you go a lengthy time period without going that many innings your arm is not used to it. it's not just the registered pitches which was 55, it's all the warm up pitches as well. he's not a starter or a long reliever who can go 3 innings no problem, he is a closer who most of the time pitches 1 inning. no sitting down and then coming back out for another inning, and then another inning.
I think it was Ventura who had said that if the Sox needed another pitcher to go after Reed, it was going to be offensive player Casper Wells. the only reason Reed even went the 3 was because there was no one else.

Every pitcher who ever went 3 innings had to do it for a first time, right?

I'll err on the side of the team manager, who spends every day with these guys and knows all the details about the current game situation and exactly how long his RP's can go without the likelyhood of injury increasing. There's only so much insight into this situation that you can get from being an armchair fantasy BB manager.

Classic case of over-thinking. The guys in charge have tens of millions of dollars on the line with decisions like this, not to mention probably decades of experience.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby etex211 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Blown save for Janssen vs. the Rangers today, his first of the season
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby J35J » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
Izenhart wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

How do we take this to another thread and which one? I want to get into this, just not here.

Start a thread here.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby IonZephyr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Which of these middle relievers would u guys pick up?

Jake McGee (TB)
Or
Peralta (TB)
Or
SeaN doolittle (oak)
Or
Justin wilson (pit)

Looking for clean ratios, not really save oppertunities ..

THanks
My 14 team league (Redraft H2H)
C McCann
1B M.Carpenter
2B Hill
3B Beltre
SS Desmond
OF: DeAza/Moss/R.Davis
BN: Rizzo
DL: Kemp
SP: Wainwright, Kuroda, Peavy, Garza, Gallardo, Cingrani, Leake, Wacha
RP: Romo, Cishek, Frieri