Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby wingman3110 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Garry26 wrote:
k.k. wrote:Poor Broxton owners. I guess they can bank on some holds, if your league counts them. :~(

Unbelievable. Broxton owners? What about Chapman owners? Many were banking on him being a starter. You just got screwed out of 12-14 wins, 200K+, and Top 5 SP quality Era/Whip, AND you probably need another starter.

Unless a good SP pops up on the wire and you're able to grab him, you'll have to overpay for an equal starter. I see blood. A chance to take out a team before the season even begins.

You really think he would of put up those types of numbers as a starter? He's never thrown more than 100 innings in a season and only has 2 quality pitches he can count on. Take the great closer numbers he will put up and be happy with it.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm

I'd take him as a closer sooner than I would as a starter.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:12 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:I'd take him as a closer sooner than I would as a start

+1. He is more of a sure thing as a closer. He was a complete wildcard as a sp.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby eneric » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:21 pm

So it's almost a certainty that Marmol is either traded or loses his job to K. Fujikawa, right? I mean Fujikawa IS the heir apparent to close and REALLY SOON too right?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Ender wrote:Chapman has 2 pitches, he really should not be a starter with that repertoire. His control is also very suspect and the more hitters see this the more likely he is to walk guys. This is probably the correct move in this situation even though 90% of the time I suggest an ace level guy to become a starter if given the chance.

This goes back to the mishandling of Chapman since he came from Cuba. If you want to make someone a starter then keep them in the minors where they can work on their secondary pitches. You can still call them up in Aug/Sept as a RP'er for the stretch run.

I don't think anyone should be disappointed that Chapman is moving to the closer role. It could throw the balance of some teams out of whack but you had to consider the possibility of this happening when drafting.

Go Santos, go. ;-D
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:52 am

Does Frank Francisco have a shot at the closer job when he's back or is it Parnell's for good?

Also, where are people taking Motte after the injury? I just got him 146th overall as the 14th RP taken. From what I've heard his injury doesn't sound too serious and if he only misses a week or two that sounds like pretty awesome value. Obviously there's risk it could be worse, but it seems worth it at that point.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Also, where are people taking Motte after the injury? I just got him 146th overall as the 14th RP taken. From what I've heard his injury doesn't sound too serious and if he only misses a week or two that sounds like pretty awesome value. Obviously there's risk it could be worse, but it seems worth it at that point.

I heard tear and elbow so I'm pretty scared he's going to miss a lot of time. The Cardinals medical staff has a horrible track record when it comes to these things.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:40 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Also, where are people taking Motte after the injury? I just got him 146th overall as the 14th RP taken. From what I've heard his injury doesn't sound too serious and if he only misses a week or two that sounds like pretty awesome value. Obviously there's risk it could be worse, but it seems worth it at that point.

I heard tear and elbow so I'm pretty scared he's going to miss a lot of time. The Cardinals medical staff has a horrible track record when it comes to these things.

Where'd you hear that? Everything I read seemed to say it was pretty minor strain.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Where'd you hear that? Everything I read seemed to say it was pretty minor strain.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 9cb12.html

Motte felt a bite in his right elbow after pitching Thursday and was diagnosed with a strain of the flexor tendon, an injury that will keep him out indefinitely. The club Saturday classified the injury as a “mild” tear or stretching of the tendon. Further examination of the joint in the coming days will determine the precise severity as the club did not have a timetable for Motte’s rehab and what point he could try throwing again.

It has been reported as a grade 1 strain but I have zero faith in the Cardinal's medical staff. Hopefully they don't rush him back but it sounds like at least two weeks to start.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Garry26 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 am

wingman3110 wrote:
Garry26 wrote:
k.k. wrote:Poor Broxton owners. I guess they can bank on some holds, if your league counts them. :~(

Unbelievable. Broxton owners? What about Chapman owners? Many were banking on him being a starter. You just got screwed out of 12-14 wins, 200K+, and Top 5 SP quality Era/Whip, AND you probably need another starter.

Unless a good SP pops up on the wire and you're able to grab him, you'll have to overpay for an equal starter. I see blood. A chance to take out a team before the season even begins.

You really think he would of put up those types of numbers as a starter? He's never thrown more than 100 innings in a season and only has 2 quality pitches he can count on. Take the great closer numbers he will put up and be happy with it.

Oh yes. Maybe not the under 2.0 Era, but 180-200Ks is assured unless he gets hurt. Which can happen to any starter. Though I think they would set up some Joba Rules for him. Even so, it would be nice numbers.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame