Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:34 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:the longest Addison Reed has ever gone before tonight was 1.2 innings. tonight he went 3 innings, with 44 pitches, giving up 5 hits, 1 BB, and 5 ER.
does going 3 innings have an effect on his success going forward? not often closers go 2 innings, yet tonight Reed went THREE!

I can't see why it would make any difference whatsoever. Before today he had only pitched once since the 26th May. Closers often pitch on back to back or even back to back to back days. What it will do though is stop him pitching tomorrow should the White Sox get a save opp. so in the event that happens look for Jesse Crain to vulture a save.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:the longest Addison Reed has ever gone before tonight was 1.2 innings. tonight he went 3 innings, with 44 pitches, giving up 5 hits, 1 BB, and 5 ER.
does going 3 innings have an effect on his success going forward? not often closers go 2 innings, yet tonight Reed went THREE!

I can't see why it would make any difference whatsoever. Before today he had only pitched once since the 26th May. Closers often pitch on back to back or even back to back to back days. What it will do though is stop him pitching tomorrow should the White Sox get a save opp. so in the event that happens look for Jesse Crain to vulture a save.

but how much of a difference does it make resting from one day until the next day compared to resting between innings? it's not un heard of for closers to go 2 innings, but I can't remember the last time a closer went 3. 3 for a closer just seems insane. I imagine in this case they didn't have that much of a choice since they had already used so many pitchers going extra.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby NZ Eff » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:09 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:

but how much of a difference does it make resting from one day until the next day compared to resting between innings? it's not un heard of for closers to go 2 innings, but I can't remember the last time a closer went 3. 3 for a closer just seems insane. I imagine in this case they didn't have that much of a choice since they had already used so many pitchers going extra.

It's irrelevant. I wouldn't give it a second thought. He won't throw tomorrow and possibly Friday and he will be back to pitch as per normal Saturday latest.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 am

So who exactly is the Miami closer? They haven't had a successful save chance since May 19th :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:04 am

NZ Eff wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:

It's irrelevant. I wouldn't give it a second thought. He won't throw tomorrow and possibly Friday and he will be back to pitch as per normal Saturday latest.

it might not end up being a big deal, but I think there is potential there to be damaging. if a closer going 3 innings isn't anything, then why do closers never go 3 innings? if a closer is supposed to be the shut down reliever, bring them on in the 7th.
I don't think it is unusual at all for a non closer to go 3 innings, because they have probably done it before. their arm can be used to it. Reed has never even gone 2 innings before. I think it could depend on when the Sox use Reed again. he's definitely not available today, but it might be best to rest him for 3 to 4 days.

in a 16 team league I own 2 for sure closers in Reed and Valverde, along with Gregerson, Jansen, and Tazawa. after last night I'm strongly thinking about casing in on Reed's 17 saves in a trade to bring back something good, before this over usage starts to show on Reed's arm.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:44 am

SpecialFNK wrote: if a closer going 3 innings isn't anything, then why do closers never go 3 innings?

Because they want them to be able to go on back to back days or even back to back to back days...going 3 innings in one night prevents that from happening.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby datelin3 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:31 am

AussieDodger wrote:So who exactly is the Miami closer? They haven't had a successful save chance since May 19th :-b

I think Qualls gets the next save opportunity in Miami... and likely blows it
datelin3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Quackman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:56 pm

datelin3 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:So who exactly is the Miami closer? They haven't had a successful save chance since May 19th :-b

I think Qualls gets the next save opportunity in Miami... and likely blows it

Id still go with Cishek, i think they ride him out.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby NZ Eff » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:25 am

SpecialFNK wrote:it might not end up being a big deal, but I think there is potential there to be damaging. if a closer going 3 innings isn't anything, then why do closers never go 3 innings? if a closer is supposed to be the shut down reliever, bring them on in the 7th.

:-? Are you serious here? If so you need to give back your expert icon.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Fri, Jun 7

19 Action News Investigative Reporter Scott Taylor reports that Chris Perez will be charged with misdemeanor Possession of a Controlled Substance.

Advice: Previous reports stated that Perez was never arrested, but photos of his and his wife's mugshots have surfaced. Taylor reports that the Ohio Attorney General Office found the amount of marijuana delivered to Perez's home was about 5.7 ounces, which is significantly less than previously reported. The reliever and his wife will plead not guilty to the charges. Perez seems unlikely to serve any jail time, but it's possible he could face a suspension from Major League Baseball. He's currently on the disabled list with a shoulder injury.

:-?
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame