Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby go tribe » Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 am

Neboguy wrote:
silentjim wrote:
I wasn't making an argument about Gregg's experience in my comment here, I was talking about his peripheral statistics . . .

Backed up from Eno Harris' column yesterday speaking about Kevin Gregg
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/4 ... splat?pg=2

"His whiff rate is below average, and so is his velocity. He's getting really lucky on balls in play, and has stranded way more than his share of runners. His control has never been good, and his first-pitch strike rate and zone percentage are way below average"

Sooooo let's talk about a stealth option to close for the Cubs . . .

How about Blake Parker? Hey he's got 7 saves, a 2.16 ERA, and a 1.02 WHIP @ AAA this year. Plus 66 career saves in his minor league career?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=parker003ric

Gregg will have to blow-up first....and being a Gregg owner, the unfortunate thing is he never gets a chance to pitch because the CUBs stink.

I'm a rookie desperately needing saves (last place by a growing mile)...so a question....how often do closers get called up and thrust in right away? And what generally happens at the trading deadline? Will a good closer on a crappy team get moved?
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 30, 2013 10:39 am

As a 28 year old that has spent his entire career in the minor leagues as a relief pitcher, he shouldn't even be considered, in my opinion. The guys that make the majors as relief pitchers in the minors are typically very young and highly touted, moving quickly through the ranks. I can't think of anybody that spent nearly that long in the minors as a reliever and turned out to be any good.

Marmol has been good the past couple weeks but he's imploded so many times that it's just dangerous to have that kind of ERA/WHIP ticking time bomb in your active roster trying to chase a couple saves. He's currently posting the worst ERA, WHIP, SIERA and K% of his career as a relief pitcher. Of any Cubs reliever other than Gregg, I'd prefer to grab Russell for the off-chance he eventually gets saves and at least he'll probably help your ratios in non-save chances. Ideally, I'd have none of these guys on my team though.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby mkultra » Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 am

go tribe wrote:I'm a rookie desperately needing saves (last place by a growing mile)...so a question....how often do closers get called up and thrust in right away? And what generally happens at the trading deadline? Will a good closer on a crappy team get moved?

I can't recall the last time someone was called up mid-season to be a closer, with the exception of Valverde, who was signed late and basically did spring training in the minors (odds are he was picked up in your league well before his call-up, or even drafted pre-season). That said, Brian Wilson is someone to keep your eye on if you've got bench depth, as he could get signed by a contending team in need of a closer. If the Angels can turn their season around, my gut says he's got a fair shot at landing there.

There typically is some movement of closers from terrible teams around the deadline, but it seems to happen a lot less than people wish it would. What you want to keep your eye on here is high-salary closers, who are more likely to get traded.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby silentjim » Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Skin Blues wrote:As a 28 year old that has spent his entire career in the minor leagues as a relief pitcher, he shouldn't even be considered, in my opinion. The guys that make the majors as relief pitchers in the minors are typically very young and highly touted, moving quickly through the ranks. I can't think of anybody that spent nearly that long in the minors as a reliever and turned out to be any good.

Marmol has been good the past couple weeks but he's imploded so many times that it's just dangerous to have that kind of ERA/WHIP ticking time bomb in your active roster trying to chase a couple saves. He's currently posting the worst ERA, WHIP, SIERA and K% of his career as a relief pitcher. Of any Cubs reliever other than Gregg, I'd prefer to grab Russell for the off-chance he eventually gets saves and at least he'll probably help your ratios in non-save chances. Ideally, I'd have none of these guys on my team though.

Sveum on whether there's a scenario Marm could be closer again: "I hope not."

Source

Gregg all the way.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I can't think of anybody that spent nearly that long in the minors as a reliever and turned out to be any good.

Heath Bell, Rafael Betancourt, Jason Motte to name a few.
J.J. Putz and Brad Ziegler were converted starters, but they were minor league relievers for a while. Of course there is also, Peter Moylan and Brendan Donnelly. and thats just recently.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 30, 2013 7:31 pm

wrveres wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:I can't think of anybody that spent nearly that long in the minors as a reliever and turned out to be any good.

J.J. Putz and Brad Ziegler were converted starters, but they were minor league relievers for a while. Of course there is also, Peter Moylan and Brendan Donnelly. and thats just recently.

Heath Bell was 26 when he was called up and had great AAA numbers. Motte was 27 and had great AAA numbers. Putz spent only one season as a minor league reliever before being called up at age 27. Ziegler spent the vast majority of his minor league career as a starter. Peter Moylan quit baseball as a teenager and didn't return until he was 27 and almost immediately made it to the majors. Brendan Donnelly was good for a few years but has a career saves total of 6. Rafael Betancourt played in Japan and then quit baseball for a year before coming back in 2003 as a 28 year old, played in 4 games in AAA (the only 4 of his career) and then was quickly called up to the Indians. Given the thousands of relievers that have pitched in the minors since this list two decent players that both debuted over a decade ago, I'd say the odds are against a guy that is in his 6th season of AAA and is walking well over 5 batters per 9 innings. But I guess I'm just crazy. I suppose there's a 1 in a million chance he's the next Brendan Donnelly, though. There's hope!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby wrveres » Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Perkins won't pitch tomorrow so Jared Burton will vulture a save if there is an opportunity. If you have the roster flexibility and need a save then he is worth a punt.
good call ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri May 31, 2013 3:09 am

Skin Blues wrote:
wrveres wrote:

Heath Bell was 26 when he was called up and had great AAA numbers. Motte was 27 and had great AAA numbers. Putz spent only one season as a minor league reliever before being called up at age 27. Ziegler spent the vast majority of his minor league career as a starter. Peter Moylan quit baseball as a teenager and didn't return until he was 27 and almost immediately made it to the majors. Brendan Donnelly was good for a few years but has a career saves total of 6. Rafael Betancourt played in Japan and then quit baseball for a year before coming back in 2003 as a 28 year old, played in 4 games in AAA (the only 4 of his career) and then was quickly called up to the Indians. Given the thousands of relievers that have pitched in the minors since this list two decent players that both debuted over a decade ago, I'd say the odds are against a guy that is in his 6th season of AAA and is walking well over 5 batters per 9 innings. But I guess I'm just crazy. I suppose there's a 1 in a million chance he's the next Brendan Donnelly, though. There's hope!

Relievers have very unpredictable paths to becoming what they become. You can't judge them like SPs or hitters.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby AHF » Fri May 31, 2013 9:56 am

NZ Eff wrote:Perkins won't pitch tomorrow so Jared Burton will vulture a save if there is an opportunity. If you have the roster flexibility and need a save then he is worth a punt.

This was very helpful. Thanks!
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby BravesGuy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:33 am

Good call, thanks!
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame