Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby J35J » Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 pm

J35J wrote:yeah, my bad...if someone else came in after he gave up that run then it would have been a save situation for that person. Ignore me.

Actually thats not even completely correct....continue to ignore me.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 pm

J35J wrote:
J35J wrote:yeah, my bad...if someone else came in after he gave up that run then it would have been a save situation for that person. Ignore me.

No that is correct. If Pestano had been pulled after he gave up the home run then the replacement pitcher would have had a save opportunity. No one on, a 3 run lead and still requiring 3 outs.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby J35J » Wed May 29, 2013 10:55 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
J35J wrote:

No that is correct. If Pestano had been pulled after he gave up the home run then the replacement pitcher would have had a save opportunity. No one on, a 3 run lead and still requiring 3 outs.

In this case maybe....but I was talking about a blanket statement...in a different situation if the same thing occurred but the first guy got 1 out before he was replaced leaving the next guy to come in with a 3 run lead and nobody on base but only needing 2 outs to finish the game.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 pm

J35J wrote:He got the last out with a 3 run lead...doesn't matter what it starts out being...it's what the score is when the final out is made....yeah stupid.
:-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby J35J » Wed May 29, 2013 11:17 pm

wrveres wrote:
J35J wrote:He got the last out with a 3 run lead...doesn't matter what it starts out being...it's what the score is when the final out is made....yeah stupid.

Yeah, Fail. It is the stupidest stat in the game though, right...do I get a pass for that? No? Don't rub it in why don't ya...I'm going to the corner now and won't have my ice cream after dinner. :-/
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby go tribe » Wed May 29, 2013 11:35 pm

J35J wrote:
wrveres wrote:

Yeah, Fail. It is the stupidest stat in the game though, right...do I get a pass for that? No? Don't rub it in why don't ya...I'm going to the corner now and won't have my ice cream after dinner. :-/

This is all my fault! Truthfully, I was just so excited that he was in the game that I didn't even think about it. When I saw the four run lead in the 7th (?) I recognized the save might be out the window. Then he came in and I just got carried away. Sorry all. wasted page on the thread.
go tribe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby wrveres » Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 am

J35J wrote:
wrveres wrote:

lol, i think it was the "stupid" at the end that put it over the top. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby NZ Eff » Thu May 30, 2013 1:29 am

Perkins won't pitch tomorrow so Jared Burton will vulture a save if there is an opportunity. If you have the roster flexibility and need a save then he is worth a punt.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby J35J » Thu May 30, 2013 8:09 am

wrveres wrote:
J35J wrote:
wrveres wrote: :-o

lol, i think it was the "stupid" at the end that put it over the top. ;-D

:-) For the record, I wasn't calling him stupid...I was calling the rule/stat stupid...really I'm just stupid apparently. Carry on, no more from me in here.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neboguy » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 am

silentjim wrote:
I agree with Farnsworth being an option people should be talking about, but the Cubs talk is a little insane. Will Fujikawa close? Probably. Does Kevin Gregg have 150 career saves at the big league level? Yes.

Gregg stinks, but to think he doesn't have experience is a super poor argument.

I wasn't making an argument about Gregg's experience in my comment here, I was talking about his peripheral statistics . . .

Backed up from Eno Harris' column yesterday speaking about Kevin Gregg
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/4 ... splat?pg=2

"His whiff rate is below average, and so is his velocity. He's getting really lucky on balls in play, and has stranded way more than his share of runners. His control has never been good, and his first-pitch strike rate and zone percentage are way below average"

Sooooo let's talk about a stealth option to close for the Cubs . . .

How about Blake Parker? Hey he's got 7 saves, a 2.16 ERA, and a 1.02 WHIP @ AAA this year. Plus 66 career saves in his minor league career?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=parker003ric
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Please Leave Feedback!

Neboguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame