Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby AHF » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 am

But remember, there are no performance enhancing aspects to these drugs in real life. Guys like Braun continue to do it at the risk of millions of dollars in pay and reputation simply for the fun of it.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 233
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:41 am

Lofunzo wrote:
J35J wrote:
Iggy wrote:
I agree ... I remember there was a poll as to 'who should be pick # 1' and many 'experts' said it was clearly Braun even though there were drug issues.

In one of my pools I lucked into the # 1 pick ... I took Cabrera



Why anyone would blindly follow what anyone says is ridiculous...not even talking just fantasy sports, but everything. You should always be doing your own research on all topics no matter what the consensus is.


I think (and hope) that he was kidding.

Holy cow, its Lo. What's up?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31782
(Past Year: 265)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby rjforlife » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
J35J wrote:
Iggy wrote:
I agree ... I remember there was a poll as to 'who should be pick # 1' and many 'experts' said it was clearly Braun even though there were drug issues.

In one of my pools I lucked into the # 1 pick ... I took Cabrera



Why anyone would blindly follow what anyone says is ridiculous...not even talking just fantasy sports, but everything. You should always be doing your own research on all topics no matter what the consensus is.


I think (and hope) that he was kidding.



Sadly, I'm 99% certain he is not kidding. Also, Lofunzo sighting!!!
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7515
(Past Year: 269)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm not sure how baseball got "just cause" past the players union when it seemed somewhat difficult to get a drug program together in general at the time it happened. Seems like a ton of power for the commissioners office. That said, Buster Olney's article is pretty revealing on how players feel about PED's now. It wouldn't be surprising to see the next agreement be a lifetime ban for the 1st offense.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:30 pm

jfg wrote:I'm not sure how baseball got "just cause" past the players union when it seemed somewhat difficult to get a drug program together in general at the time it happened. Seems like a ton of power for the commissioners office. That said, Buster Olney's article is pretty revealing on how players feel about PED's now. It wouldn't be surprising to see the next agreement be a lifetime ban for the 1st offense.


Yeah, I'm surprised how passive the MLBPA seems in all this. I didn't believe for a second that someone wouldn't appeal, if for no other reason than that the union would demand it of their members. (Still doubtful about a lifetime ban for a first offense, though.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 2071
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Btw, for those who haven't seen it, LoMo's awesome quote:

"You know we're clean. We haven't scored a run in 37 innings."

https://twitter.com/clarkspencer/status ... 8365680642

:-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 2071
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby abrage22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:12 pm

rjforlife wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
J35J wrote:

Why anyone would blindly follow what anyone says is ridiculous...not even talking just fantasy sports, but everything. You should always be doing your own research on all topics no matter what the consensus is.


I think (and hope) that he was kidding.



Sadly, I'm 99% certain he is not kidding. Also, Lofunzo sighting!!!


Alright...so then what's the point of this site? If no one should take anyone's advice, why should anyone post on the DTKW forums. Why should anyone post anything at all if no one should listen to anyone's thoughts. Of course you should do your own research, and have your own opinion (which luckily I followed in both of the situations I mentioned).
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3753
Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:21 pm

wrveres wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
J35J wrote:

Why anyone would blindly follow what anyone says is ridiculous...not even talking just fantasy sports, but everything. You should always be doing your own research on all topics no matter what the consensus is.


I think (and hope) that he was kidding.

Holy cow, its Lo. What's up?


Hey. Hope that things are well with you. I've been busy as all hell working 2 FT jobs and 1 PT. Getting ready to start 20 credits in the Fall so time will be tough.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23712
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm

abrage22 wrote:Alright...so then what's the point of this site? If no one should take anyone's advice, why should anyone post on the DTKW forums. Why should anyone post anything at all if no one should listen to anyone's thoughts.

Seriously?


abrage22 wrote: Of course you should do your own research, and have your own opinion (which luckily I followed in both of the situations I mentioned).

Ding Ding Ding



Not sure what the complaint is if you clearly did exactly what I said to do. You don't really believe that there are some "experts" that are never wrong do you, hell, you've already pointed out where the consensus of multiple experts can be wrong...we know this..."we should know this" which is why you discuss, listen and do your own research....never should you say, well "so and so" said this so that is what I believe to, without looking into it yourself.

Why am I explaining myself...I feel like this is common sense...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10468
(Past Year: 49)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Steroid Reports - gio gonzalez, nelson cruz

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Joe Mauer wrote:
kab21 wrote:Braun's shenanighans don't even compare to ARod's shenanighans. He potentially bought Biogenisis documents to impede the investigation.


Yeah...I think MLB wanted to Braun to be the first one nailed so he was front and center in shame. But Braun got out with nice fluffy quotes from MLB, etc, and a 65 game fine. He only would have done this if the writing was on the wall.

By making a big time player like Braun come to an agreement it should grease the wheels to getting other plea bargains done with most of the rest of the players over the coming days.

I think MLB will tread A-Roid differently. It has been reported that they have even more evidence on him....plus....if they have the evidence that he tried to impede the investigation.....then MLB is going to throw the book at him. Anything is possible and the penalty I think will be severe.



If you read between the lines of ARoid not showing up at a rehab game right after meeting with MLB on the matter awhile back, you pretty much know they have him dead to rights. The Braun situation pretty much confirms that the evidence is so solid and convincing that it is not worth trying to appeal. I think the only question is whether it is 100, 150 or even more games for ARoid imo. My guess is he is going to cut a deal as well but he may feel there is so much money on the line he has nothing to lose in appealing. I for one am still hoping for the lifetime ban lol.

And good for the MLBPA in finally realizing that they serve all their constituency and not just a few cheaters who are hurting the reputations of all of them. Someone seems to have woken up over there and gotten their moral compass fixed.
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 4726
(Past Year: 1479)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron