Return to 2013 First Cafe Mock

Draft Discussion

Moderators: Pogotheostrich, J35J, americanleagueroto

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby americanleagueroto » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 am

sfjb wrote:First pitcher off the board is Kershaw and not V-Lander...hmmmm.

I have Kershaw 2 spots higher overall (1 in terms of SP obviously) higher than Verlander. Not a ton to back that up, just how the projections converted.

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby americanleagueroto » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:11 am

The turn:

I am not one that plans on targeting a catcher early, but with Prince taken a pick before (Thanks Element :-D ) I decided the NL MVP was a good building block for my squad. As it goes, catchers who don't catch everyday, blah blah blah, I'll take it.

The next pick was a little tougher as I was going back and forth between a couple of outfielders, ultimately settling on Granderson. Posey's BA is a nice buffer for Granderson, and I am betting on another 35 HR season from the Bronx Bomber. Runs will be there and if I could get 12-15 SB's I'd be more than satisfied.

Dave ;-D
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 am

Busterrrrrrrrrrrrrr
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 302)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:38 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Busterrrrrrrrrrrrrr

STALKER :^
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby jonboy418 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 am

So now that we've passed the first round, what was everyone's thought?

I originally said there was 8-10 first rounders and all of them went. I'm on the fence with Kemp, McCutch and CarGo. Mostly injury risk / track record.

I feel the surefire first rounders should be:
Trout, Braun, Miggy, Cano, Fielder, Pujols, and Votto.

Three things surprised me:
1. Fielder slipping to #11
2. the Kershaw pick. I don't have the guts to take a pitcher in the first round at all.
3. the Posey pick. After Posey, there's a significant drop off but so much depth beyond the top 3 catchers. I just can't justify a catcher in the first round either. Posey will ultimately have to fall to me in my draft to warrant a high draft pick.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:28 am

jonboy418 wrote:So now that we've passed the first round, what was everyone's thought?

I originally said there was 8-10 first rounders and all of them went. I'm on the fence with Kemp, McCutch and CarGo. Mostly injury risk / track record.

I feel the surefire first rounders should be:
Trout, Braun, Miggy, Cano, Fielder, Pujols, and Votto.

Three things surprised me:
1. Fielder slipping to #11
2. the Kershaw pick. I don't have the guts to take a pitcher in the first round at all.
3. the Posey pick. After Posey, there's a significant drop off but so much depth beyond the top 3 catchers. I just can't justify a catcher in the first round either. Posey will ultimately have to fall to me in my draft to warrant a high draft pick.

I think I might just agree with pretty much everything you've said here. I love Kemp, McCutch and CarGo but they scare the crap out of me and I wouldn't feel comfortable the whole time I had them if I did. Those surefire guys look good to me too. I like Fielder at 11 as well. It's not that I wouldn't have the guts to take a pitcher in the first round, I just wouldn't...and the same can be said for catchers.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 49)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 am

I think Votto is risk too. He didn't hit a HR after the ASB and wasn't the same after the injury last year. I actually think McCutchen is a safer pick. Kemp and Cargo are both risks but if you look at the numbers they put up hurt I think the floor isn't too scary and the ceiling is a top player.

To each their own but I'm not touching a pitcher or catcher in the first round.

Fielder is a solid pick and may have slipped a spot or two but I expect him to go in the 2nd half of the first round. The HR, RBI, R and BA are all great but not eye popping but he brings no SB and doesn't play a premium position.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 206)

Postby stevethumb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:15 am

being an auction guy it is all about dollar value to me...Posey is about a low $20s guy and there are so many more players w/more value that are available at that spot..even though it isnt the first round, the same can be said for cgranderson altho' I see his value in the mid 20s...
as to kershaw, I have his value in the low 30s..He is certainly competitive w/the players taken (and not taken) around that pick..
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby daullaz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 am

My pick came down to Fielder/McCutchen, and I feel like the 5-cat guy was a smarter investment than the 4-cat guy. Only picks that really "surprised" me were Posey/Grandy. I just feel catcher is very deep for a one-C league, and Grandy's poor average and lack of SBs in two of the last three years undercuts a lot of his HR/RBI/R value. For the 13th overall, he'd better reprise 2011 (41 HR/25 SB), and even then his .262 average might not leave him any room for profit on his draft slot.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby sfjb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:16 am

While I understand the Buster/Grandy picks, I can't say that I would have made the same at the turn. And, I have a hard time taking a pitcher in the 1st round, but that boils down to personal philosophy not that it's a bad pick.
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 First Cafe Mock