Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby West » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm

How has no one mentioned how terrible and glitchy the message board is? It's terrible.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:16 pm

West wrote:How has no one mentioned how terrible and glitchy the message board is? It's terrible.

About 27 people did.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

Postby higherpie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:56 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
West wrote:How has no one mentioned how terrible and glitchy the message board is? It's terrible.

About 27 people did.

27? See, this is the problem. Even ex-Yahoo guys dramatically underestimate the scope of the site's failures.

;-)
higherpie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheTrith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:00 am

Yahoo, why in the world did you get rid of the "team notes" box?
This was actually really useful for anyone who plays in multiple leagues. It let me plan adds/drops for each league, keep track of trade targets, make notes about various other owners, etc all within the game.
I fail to see how removing one of the features that was actually useful, could possibly make Yahoo's platform better.
What gives?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

TheTrith wrote:Yahoo, why in the world did you get rid of the "team notes" box?
This was actually really useful for anyone who plays in multiple leagues. It let me plan adds/drops for each league, keep track of trade targets, make notes about various other owners, etc all within the game.
I fail to see how removing one of the features that was actually useful, could possibly make Yahoo's platform better.
What gives?

Hint: they could see how many people actually used that box. I think it had a very very small number of people who really liked it, and a boatload of people who never, ever used it.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheTrith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:18 pm

thanks Genie, thats what I figured, but... still, why would they get rid of it? What was added that made removing that box a necessity?
I mean it took up like zero space on the page, so what did removing it accomplish?

On another note, the message board thing just blows my mind.
For the past few days it hasnt worked at all in most of my leagues. Even the established threads just were not there. Poof.
But in a couple leagues... everything normal. How is that?

As compared to the other complicated features a fantasy site like Yahoo has to deal with, to non-engineer types like myself it seems like the message board would be really simple to set up and to keep functional.
Every single website nowadays has a message board, or comment section, and for the msot part they always work flawlessly (at least it appears so to the end user).
Genie, since this problem has been present for 2+ years, could you enlighten us as to what the issue is with Yahoos message board?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:04 am

re: the Team Notes thing
When I was still there, we talked often about removing that box and replacing it with something higher value. It does look like it was removed but not replaced with anything, and that is a little surprising. It may have been a casualty of the redesign, though I can't really imagine what would have made that particular module tricky.

re: the message boards
I probably know several things about why the message boards are the way they are, but I also probably shouldn't really comment out of respect for my colleagues that still work there. That didn't sound quite right; I have privileged information that I probably shouldn't share about what is behind the curtain with the message boards and why they might be in this state right now. It isn't anything that would make your life better if you knew it, in any case heh But yes, frustrating, and I'm sure the colleagues I refer to aren't happy about it either.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheTrith » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:45 am

Thanks Genie, appreciate the insight as always.

Im assuming then that as far as the message boards go, the big Yahoo bosses simply dont want to spend the money on the proper equipment/resources that would make a permanent fix viable?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:39 am

TheTrith wrote:Thanks Genie, appreciate the insight as always.

Im assuming then that as far as the message boards go, the big Yahoo bosses simply dont want to spend the money on the proper equipment/resources that would make a permanent fix viable?

You know what happens when you assume ;-)

While I'm not comfortable saying what I do know about this problem, this guess is completely incorrect.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheTrith » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:27 pm

lol touche.

Not baseball related, but can anyone get to your Yahoo NCAA bracket from your (android) phone?
If I use the web browser and click on my bookmark, or the link from the main fantasy page, I get redirected to a stupid full page ad for the Yahoo App. Theres no way to close it.
Clicking on the menu button (the 3 lines at top left corner) shows me the pool, with the link to everyone's brackets, but when I click it, I get sent right back to that ad. Its just one vicious never ending cycle.
Infuriating, because I need something to do at work lol.

And in the app itself, the bracket is nowhere to be found. It only lists my baseball leagues.
Ive updated to no aviale, and then uninstalled/reinstalled the app and still nothing showing.
Anyone figure this out?

This is the offending ad:Image
Last edited by TheTrith on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers