Page 10 of 117

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:17 pm
by Arrowhead Nation
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Enforcing minimums within roto
I'm not really understanding this. I understand why you don't want people to tank, and you want them to play more, but if they aren't, I don't really know how to punish them or... un-punish them in an automated way. Do you just mean you'd want us to automatically change people's rosters if they fall sufficiently below the GP/IP limits?


I have no clue how tough it would be to code it, but there is already the projected games played per position that is in place regarding maximum limits. What I would like to see, as a commissioner of a league that does have minimums, is a way to award zeroes in any category that does not meet the set minimum in games played or IP. Our league uses 1300 IP and 145 G/position for the minimum...so about 90% of the maximum. Last season, I was forced to go in and check the non-contenders once or twice a week in the final two months and take appropriate measures. In a dynasty league, there is certainly a temptation to tank once a team in out of it.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:45 am
by bayside
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
re: Limiting starts/IP per H2H matchup
As a fantasy player I weep when I see this heh... we've had this discussion before, but it keeps coming up. I really think most leagues would be unhappy with this if we did implement it due to fenceposting on the last day. I should put a FAQ on this in the FAQ forum, because each time people explain all the "easy" ways to fix it, and we go through why they actually aren't easy or don't work. It keeps coming up, so at some point we may just do it anyway, but I really think it isn't a great idea, and I continue to believe that various features we already have are a better way to prevent streaming within H2H leagues.

Im one of the people who asks for this every year so you might be tired of hearing me talk about it... but leagues that implement this setting will know the implications in advance, and it cannot be any worse than not having the option.
is there a reason it cannot be coded to do the following:

Any team that starts enough pitchers on any day to send them over the weekly limit, will only have enough starts count to reach said limit.
The starts that "count" can be determined by using any one of the following criteria (probably whichever is simplest to code):

1) Pitcher with the earliest scheduled game start time counts. In the event that 2 or more pitchers have a game starting at the same time when the limit is reached, choose some arbitrary factor to determine the one that count s- alphabetical order, highest ranked pitcher by Yahoo rankings to date, etc

2) List all pitching slots as SP1, SP2, P3, P4, P5, RP6, RP7, etc so that on the day the limit is reached, only the slot(s) with the highest priority are used to reach said limit.
For example: going into Sunday Team A has made 8 starts out of 10 allowed per week.
His lineup is set as follows (assume all pitchers listed actually pitch that day):
SP1 - Halladay
SP2 - empty
SP3 - empty
P4 - Cain
P5 - Morrow
P6 - Sanchez
Only Halladay and Cain's stats would be used since they are the 2 pitchers with the highest priority to pitch teh day the limit is reched.

3. Make the owners more accountable.
If an owner has his lineup set so that he goes over the limit, rather than have all stats count (which never made sense to me), instead NONE of his pitching stats count for the day the limit is breached. Problem solved. I would assume this is also the simplest solution.
This would also require owners to be more active, which is one of the things that leagues implementing a Yahoo-controlled limit are trying to accomplish in the first place.

Any reason one of those could not be made to work?

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 am
by posty
bayside wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
re: Limiting starts/IP per H2H matchup
As a fantasy player I weep when I see this heh... we've had this discussion before, but it keeps coming up. I really think most leagues would be unhappy with this if we did implement it due to fenceposting on the last day. I should put a FAQ on this in the FAQ forum, because each time people explain all the "easy" ways to fix it, and we go through why they actually aren't easy or don't work. It keeps coming up, so at some point we may just do it anyway, but I really think it isn't a great idea, and I continue to believe that various features we already have are a better way to prevent streaming within H2H leagues.

Im one of the people who asks for this every year so you might be tired of hearing me talk about it... but leagues that implement this setting will know the implications in advance, and it cannot be any worse than not having the option.
is there a reason it cannot be coded to do the following:

Any team that starts enough pitchers on any day to send them over the weekly limit, will only have enough starts count to reach said limit.
The starts that "count" can be determined by using any one of the following criteria (probably whichever is simplest to code):

1) Pitcher with the earliest scheduled game start time counts. In the event that 2 or more pitchers have a game starting at the same time when the limit is reached, choose some arbitrary factor to determine the one that count s- alphabetical order, highest ranked pitcher by Yahoo rankings to date, etc

2) List all pitching slots as SP1, SP2, P3, P4, P5, RP6, RP7, etc so that on the day the limit is reached, only the slot(s) with the highest priority are used to reach said limit.
For example: going into Sunday Team A has made 8 starts out of 10 allowed per week.
His lineup is set as follows (assume all pitchers listed actually pitch that day):
SP1 - Halladay
SP2 - empty
SP3 - empty
P4 - Cain
P5 - Morrow
P6 - Sanchez
Only Halladay and Cain's stats would be used since they are the 2 pitchers with the highest priority to pitch teh day the limit is reched.

3. Make the owners more accountable.
If an owner has his lineup set so that he goes over the limit, rather than have all stats count (which never made sense to me), instead NONE of his pitching stats count for the day the limit is breached. Problem solved. I would assume this is also the simplest solution.
This would also require owners to be more active, which is one of the things that leagues implementing a Yahoo-controlled limit are trying to accomplish in the first place.

Any reason one of those could not be made to work?


When Sandbox was around and you reached limits, they always took the player that had the highest PPG average for the points until the maximums was reached... That way one can't be one inning away from the limit and start seven pitchers and get credit for all of the pitchers, but only the one with the best average...

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am
by Fantasy Sports Genie
Arrowhead Nation wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Enforcing minimums within roto
I'm not really understanding this. I understand why you don't want people to tank, and you want them to play more, but if they aren't, I don't really know how to punish them or... un-punish them in an automated way. Do you just mean you'd want us to automatically change people's rosters if they fall sufficiently below the GP/IP limits?


I have no clue how tough it would be to code it, but there is already the projected games played per position that is in place regarding maximum limits. What I would like to see, as a commissioner of a league that does have minimums, is a way to award zeroes in any category that does not meet the set minimum in games played or IP. Our league uses 1300 IP and 145 G/position for the minimum...so about 90% of the maximum. Last season, I was forced to go in and check the non-contenders once or twice a week in the final two months and take appropriate measures. In a dynasty league, there is certainly a temptation to tank once a team in out of it.

This is exactly what I don't understand. It really seems like you just said, "If a team is trying to tank, I want you to punish them by giving them all 0's for scoring." If a team is trying to tank, isn't that *exactly* what they want?

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 am
by Arrowhead Nation
Yeah maybe there isn't an automated way to do it. What I was having to do last season was go in and edit lineups and make pickups if need be. I think having the "NA" spots would help, as we have guys keeping folks like Bubba Starling that take up space on the roster, so they lose flexibility in maintaining a daily lineup. I get what you are saying though that it probably isn't Yahoo's job to go in and play "Big Brother" for any team that gets out of line.

But at least 3 of those NA slots would do wonders for keeper/dynasty leagues...and solve part of our problem.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm
by GiantsFan14
You could basically "disqualify" anyone who was given zeroes forcing them into the last pick of the draft the following year.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:45 pm
by mayor quimby
The "filter" function in the player section needs to be much deeper. I'm not asking for there to be every statistic that is available in baseball reference, I'm just asking for the simple yet important ones that are still missing. OBP, SLG, walks, SO, CS, K/9, hits allowed, BB, BB/9, etc.

Also, I'm not sure if you have any control over this, but the mobile phone application needs to be improved 100 fold.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm
by bayside
With the exception of message board access, i thought the android mobile app was pretty nice.
I mean for anything thats really involved you can always just go to the regular website from your mobile device.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm
by ironman
Assuming that you'll add the keeper submission feature from Yahoo Football to Baseball this year I have a few suggestions about that.

1) Allow the commissioner to set the keeper limit. On Football you could only state how many keepers via a text box message but managers could submit any number of keepers they wanted and the the commish would have to sort it out if they did it wrong. Having something in place that requires managers to submit a certain number set by the commish would be helpful.

2) Allow everyone in the league to see the current keepers selected before the set deadline. Managers could make changes at any time before the deadline still but being able to see who people kept already would be nice. Maybe like how looking at the Trading Block works or something.


Another option I'd love to see is preseason trading. We have it in our league but I have to keep track and make the moves accordingly when keepers are due. If managers had full access before the keeper deadline to trade anyone from their roster from last season, that'd be nice to take some of the extra legwork I have to do in keeping track of preseason moves and such. Plus then managers could submit proper keepers with the guys they traded for.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm
by lane_anasazi2
ironman wrote:Another option I'd love to see is preseason trading. We have it in our league but I have to keep track and make the moves accordingly when keepers are due. If managers had full access before the keeper deadline to trade anyone from their roster from last season, that'd be nice to take some of the extra legwork I have to do in keeping track of preseason moves and such. Plus then managers could submit proper keepers with the guys they traded for.


That would be amazing.

Basically, in my mind, if you want to run any kind of complex league - salaries, dynasty, auction keeper - then everything you need to keep track of (like full minors rosters, draft pick trading, offseason moves, etc etc etc) needs to be kept separately off the Yahoo page. One of my leagues uses Google Docs to keep track of salaries, another one uses Proboards to track offseason rosters and a full minor league system.

Right now, you can't do any of that on Yahoo. Running everything in one place would be amazing, but in order to do that, you'd need:

1. A full minors database.
2. Access to the league during the offseason, full comish control during the offseason with trades etc.
3. A vastly improved message board system. Customizable forums, for one thing. Basically, all of the tools that we have here at the Cafe (and the continuity; you can go back and look at posts from 10 years ago and they're all there) or on ProBoards.