Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby RedTiger » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 pm

TheTrith wrote:
RedTiger wrote:Hi Genie, I have two main suggestions that I think would be relatively easy to implement relative to their value.

1. Determining initial player eligibility based off of last year's positions.

Yahoo already does this. 5 games started or 10 appearances at a position locks in eligibility for the following season.
The only time Yahoo has had any issues with eligibility is when the player (generally prospects) did not appear in the minimum games at any single position in the previous year.

If your issue is that you think 5/10 is too lenient then I guess thats up for debate. I dont see any problem since its been that way for as long as I can remember.

I don't know where it actually says that but I'll trust you. If so, Brett Lawrie would be in line for 2B eligibility and that's a joke
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 am

RedTiger wrote:
TheTrith wrote:
RedTiger wrote:Hi Genie, I have two main suggestions that I think would be relatively easy to implement relative to their value.

Yahoo already does this. 5 games started or 10 appearances at a position locks in eligibility for the following season.
The only time Yahoo has had any issues with eligibility is when the player (generally prospects) did not appear in the minimum games at any single position in the previous year.

If your issue is that you think 5/10 is too lenient then I guess thats up for debate. I dont see any problem since its been that way for as long as I can remember.

I don't know where it actually says that but I'll trust you. If so, Brett Lawrie would be in line for 2B eligibility and that's a joke

It's been that way for as long as they've had fantasy baseball as far as I know...at least I know it's been that way for the last 10+ years. But yeah, I believe they are probably the most lenient of the major websites with their 5 games started or 10 games played rule.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 49)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:34 pm

RedTiger wrote:
TheTrith wrote:

It says it here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby RedTiger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:15 pm

The link actually says the following about initial eligibility:

"At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo Sports placed all players into positions, based partially on information from official MLB rosters but focusing mainly on past performance. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions."

From that, I have been assuming this whole time that Yahoo does not adhere strictly to the 10/5 rule to determine initial eligibility.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:16 pm

RedTiger wrote:The link actually says the following about initial eligibility:

"At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo Sports placed all players into positions, based partially on information from official MLB rosters but focusing mainly on past performance. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions."

From that, I have been assuming this whole time that Yahoo does not adhere strictly to the 10/5 rule to determine initial eligibility.

Initial eligibility can sometimes be a crap shoot for rookies(as TheTrith pointed out earlier)...such as the Wil Myers case of being a catcher for so long and then transitioning late to being an outfielder but still having catcher eligibility when he makes his debut, though I think they ended up taking the catcher eligibility away before the season started or something, don't remember, but, if a player has enough games played(in the majors) at a position to be within the 10/5 rule then he'll quality at that/those positions. Even if "said" player was only a thirdbasemen last year but it's known before the season starts this year that he'll be the regular everyday secondbasemen for this new team, he won't get 2B eligibility until he meets 5 starts or 10 games played at 2B....and at the same time he'll keep 3B eligibility all year even if he never steps foot at 3B this year.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 49)

Postby murmp2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am

Hey Genie, I think I asked for something similar last year, but I also tried to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I would love to see another watch list (specifically a not-watch list) to group players for whatever reason I want to avoid. There is a the blue watchlist flag and I would love a red flag.

There could be a number of different reasons why an owner could use a not-watch list. Say, for your fanatics leagues, ie people on these forums probably, where you have a minors roster, I'd love to mark off all the players that are already owned. For the slightly more casual owner, maybe they just want to have a list of players they have heard something they didn't like, a list of players they know they want to just avoid. Maybe its a chronic injury risk player, or a player who you know is only playing temporarily because the regular is injured. Or whatever reason, there could be a long list.

I know when I searching for a waiver pickup throughout the season, there is always a number of players I started to read up on and found something I just didn't like and didn't pick them up, then later in the season I end up researching them all over again, I'd love the red flag to just visually, eliminate them from my list of potential waiver pickups.

Maybe its the same watchlist but you allow the owner to set the color of the flag for that player. I'm guessing that wouldn't take much more than a tick in the database and I would imagine that would be pretty easy to program as well.
murmp2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Hello Genie, I have 3 really simple wishes:
- Limit of max number of starts per week...max Innings are cool, but number of starts is much more effective!
- Ability for commish to manually pick which team make the playoffs...we have some special in-house rules and conditions, and this would greatly help.
- And lastly, decimal values for FAAB. Just to the hundreth value would be great.

Really hoping to see these in game, thanks!
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:45 pm

MorseOverTaveras wrote:- And lastly, decimal values for FAAB. Just to the hundreth value would be great.

that would settle most ties ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 266)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:47 pm

This seems like a good time to remind people that I haven't worked for Yahoo! in 5 months or so now heh... But Guy Smiley should be peeking in periodically.

As a *user* and NOT as a Yahoo! representative, I'd say:
- I don't remember seeing the idea of the "Hate List" before :-)
- As a developer I disliked the max starts per week idea, and tried to explain a bajillion times why it isn't all it is cracked up to be. Now that I don't work there, I still believe this 110%. People get so bent out of shape about the fenceposting problem with games played at the end of the season where you can manage to go over the cap on the last day of the season. Trying to limit starts over a one week period has all the same problems, but those extra fenceposted games are a *much* bigger percentage of the data. You could develop all sorts of elaborate ways to try to decide which games count when you have 1 left and start 4 guys, but most of them have technical flaws or would be really confusing for users. That is why Yahoo! doesn't support max starts or max innings per week in h2h, and advocates limiting drop/adds per week as a more effective means to limit streaming.
- Custom playoff seeding is particularly dodgy in baseball when the regular season ends one day and the playoffs start the next. There isn't really a clear window for the commish to change things. It is possible you could resolve the last week of the regular season at 4am due to late games or late stats arrival, and then have the first game of the playoffs starting just a few hours later. It is a nice idea, and I think everyone understands why that would be desirable. How to actually do it is tougher. I wonder if you could do it if you skip a week... regular season runs through week X, playoffs start in week X+2. Hmm...
- If you want decimals to the hundredths in FAAB, couldn't you just give everyone 100x as much FAAB? The commish can set what the FAAB budget is. If you did that, you'd have the exact same precision.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 30)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:This seems like a good time to remind people that I haven't worked for Yahoo! in 5 months or so now heh... But Guy Smiley should be peeking in periodically.

- If you want decimals to the hundredths in FAAB, couldn't you just give everyone 100x as much FAAB? The commish can set what the FAAB budget is. If you did that, you'd have the exact same precision.

Exactly what i was thinking, seems like the common sense thing for commishes to do.

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:- Custom playoff seeding is particularly dodgy in baseball when the regular season ends one day and the playoffs start the next. There isn't really a clear window for the commish to change things. It is possible you could resolve the last week of the regular season at 4am due to late games or late stats arrival, and then have the first game of the playoffs starting just a few hours later. It is a nice idea, and I think everyone understands why that would be desirable. How to actually do it is tougher. I wonder if you could do it if you skip a week... regular season runs through week X, playoffs start in week X+2. Hmm...

I think most users who want custom H2H playoff seeding also want control over when playoffs begin and how long matchups last. If Yahoo provided us with all of those abilities there wouldnt be any issue that I can think of. At least not any issue that the league doesnt create for itself, in which case... poor league planning, so too bad.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers