Page 9 of 117

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm
by Mookie4ever
daullaz wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:stuff

EDIT: I got 23 bases for that post heh... You think it is impossible to get 3 home runs in a game? Try getting 23 bases.


This is why you rule.


Genie must be short for genius.
Either that or Eugene
:-? :-?

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:45 pm
by Izenhart
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: RP only slot
I don't see how that is really implementable in a fair way. Pitchers are assigned SP or RP via a completely objective formula. There isn't really a fair way to say, "I realize he's qualified as a SP, but I know he isn't really, so don't let him go in an SP slot." And we never take away positional eligibility during a season, because that leads to all sorts of pain and drama


Why not make pitchers eligibility like hitters, where they have to have 3 starts to be eligible to be a SP, and 3 relief appearances to be a RP. Pitchers with neither qualification are just P's until they earn SP or RP status. I have no problem with a pitcher eligible for SP and RP, but I wouldn't want a guy like that to be able to fill an RP only slot. RP only would be for a pitcher who has earned RP status but not SP status. If a pitcher in an RP slot gains SP status, he can stay there but if taken out of the slot he can't go back in it.

I don't know anything about coding or how difficult this would be so I just thought I'd explain how I'd expect something like this to work a bit more clearly. ;-D

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:49 am
by Fantasy Sports Genie
Izenhart wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: RP only slot
I don't see how that is really implementable in a fair way. Pitchers are assigned SP or RP via a completely objective formula. There isn't really a fair way to say, "I realize he's qualified as a SP, but I know he isn't really, so don't let him go in an SP slot." And we never take away positional eligibility during a season, because that leads to all sorts of pain and drama


Why not make pitchers eligibility like hitters, where they have to have 3 starts to be eligible to be a SP, and 3 relief appearances to be a RP. Pitchers with neither qualification are just P's until they earn SP or RP status. I have no problem with a pitcher eligible for SP and RP, but I wouldn't want a guy like that to be able to fill an RP only slot. RP only would be for a pitcher who has earned RP status but not SP status. If a pitcher in an RP slot gains SP status, he can stay there but if taken out of the slot he can't go back in it.

I don't know anything about coding or how difficult this would be so I just thought I'd explain how I'd expect something like this to work a bit more clearly. ;-D

You just described essentially how it works. I don't remember the specific numbers offhand, but like position players, pitchers earn SP or RP eligibility by playing those positions. When we need to assign them a position and they haven't qualified at either, then they get whichever they played more, etc. etc.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:12 am
by AussieDodger
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Epic post


Image

Thank you Eugenius ;-D



Maybe some clever mod should cut that post out and sticky it.
Or if ayebatter is unavailable, one of the others :-b ;-7

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:23 am
by Coppernob
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Better mobile app
We put a lot of work into our mobile apps, and these days they are very highly rated, so if there are particular things you don't like, we'd be interested in hearing them.


I think the app is good, at least on the iphone, My requests are simply two:
an Ipad (or tablet) optimized version.
An equivalent of Statracker (even with a manual refresh) of a matchup

As usual thanks for the time and dedication.

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 am
by JRRNeiklot
How about opening it up for mock drafts, say, today?

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 am
by Bloody Sox
Thanks, Genie for all your work and communication with us here at the Cafe. A few responses to you, plus one additional feature suggestion:

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Customized playoff schedules
Oh. I just read this carefully and it isn't what I thought. This is an interesting idea. I happen to know the code around playoff matchups is really tough to work with. Normally when people ask for this, they mean that they want custom seeding, and the more we discuss this with users, I think what they really want is custom tiebreakers so we get the seeds the way they want to begin with. But I now understand what you're asking for in this case.

I think this feature is most often desired when a league manages certain aspects of the league off-line. For me, this comes up most often with football which is why I can't do football on Yahoo. We use double-headers in (only in some weeks) and track them offline and it affects the standings and playoff seedings. As an aside, ESPN allows for changing playoff seedings to set custom playoff matchups.

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Better mobile app
We put a lot of work into our mobile apps, and these days they are very highly rated, so if there are particular things you don't like, we'd be interested in hearing them. I noticed the request for one app with all the games in it. I'm pretty sure there was a particular reason they didn't do it that way, but I'm not remembering it at the moment.

I thought the baseball app was great last year, and I thought I even did my draft for one league with it - though I couldn't for hockey this year, which surprised me.

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Enforcing minimums within roto
I'm not really understanding this. I understand why you don't want people to tank, and you want them to play more, but if they aren't, I don't really know how to punish them or... un-punish them in an automated way. Do you just mean you'd want us to automatically change people's rosters if they fall sufficiently below the GP/IP limits?

Not sure I care about this, but one idea would be to give zeros for all stats until each position reaches a minimum. That way, counting stats wouldn't be affected, but ratio stats would be hit hard. This actually would have been PERFECT for us a few years back in hockey. We stupidly had two of our three goalie categories as ratio cats - one guy got a shutout in his first start and could have (he didn't) just not started another goalie all year and be guaranteed to win two of three goalie categories for the year.

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: Allowing swapping directly into the DL slot
This comes up periodically, and there are opponents as well as proponents for the idea. It is unlikely to change, but it is a known point of discussion. Same for letting people do transactions with a healthy player in the DL slot.

I actually cannot conceive of an argument against this. Having to drop a healthy player in order to add an injured player to your DL spot is so inconvenient. I actually love the way the healthy player in a DL spot is handled - just don't let them make add/drops. Keep that the same please :-)

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: League transactions via e-mail, perhaps in a daily digest.
Interesting. Not sure I've heard that one before. I'll get it on "The List". It was also mentioned later in the thread to get these as mobile notifications; definitely on "The List".

Giant +1 here for me.

New suggestion: The ability to have a "commissioners message" on the front page of the league that is full rich text (i.e. you can use hyperlinks). This is another feature I need in my football league that I can see being applicable and useful in a baseball or hockey league.

Thanks again!

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 pm
by posty
Up the number of players that you can add to the watch list... I am in a homers league where I can only have players on my team that has played on my franchise in the past and 50 players do the watch list is not enough... Can that be upped to 100 or so?

Thanks...

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm
by converge241
daullaz wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:stuff

EDIT: I got 23 bases for that post heh... You think it is impossible to get 3 home runs in a game? Try getting 23 bases.


This is why you rule.


AMEN!

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm
by oscar15
Weekly League

FAAB blind bids run on Thursday

First Come First Serve start shortly after that.

Thank you,