Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby TheTrith » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:My point was more that most of the people here on the Cafe' don't have vision into things like what testing was done, or what changes were made before any of this went "live". As a user that no longer works there, I'm not very happy with the way some of the changes have evolved. But as someone who knows and respects the engineers there, and someone who likes the generally constructive discussion that takes place here, it bums me out when the frustration starts to boil over, and the discussion swerves from actual observations that can be discussed and addressed into speculation which is often inaccurate. Make sense?

Ya that makes complete sense. Im in no way trying to bash Yahoo, and I apologize if I came off that way.
But im sure you realize that is is extremely frustrating to have this happen during the most important part of the baseball season.
And the issues with the football interface just add to that frustration.

Can you give us a little insight into what sort of testing was done and how the test groups were chosen?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:36 pm

TheTrith wrote:Can you give us a little insight into what sort of testing was done and how the test groups were chosen?

Water under the bridge dood. Let it go.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Ray Zorback » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:21 am

The last few days I have not been able to add players using the yahoo app on my IPhone. I am still able to do everything else, line-up changes, drop players.... Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 172)

Postby AdvRider » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 am

Like the new and less informative team schedule I posted the other day, here's another bit of valuable information that seems to have gone missing, on player pages, that degrades ability to easily and efficiently manage a fantasy roster.

The old format (actually from the Canadian site) informs us that youg Mister Hellickson is scheduled to make his next start tonight against the Red Sox.

On the "upgraded" player page, information on the next scheduled start has disappeared. Poof. All the user finds is "next game," which is also shown on the old pages but which from a fantasy perspective is basically useless for an SP if you don't know when he will next take the bump.

Result? I've got to go rooting around elsewhere to find the desired information and my frustration with Yahoo's anti-upgrade grows. :-t

Last edited by AdvRider on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AdvRider » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 am

Would also be nice if the Yahoo MLB techs could see to it that the MLB Scoreboard accurately reflects the schedule.

This has been problematic since the anti-upgrade... maybe about a third of the time, the information displayed is inaccurate... in the case of the second screen shot, wildly inaccurate. Showing results for June 4 for the September 2 schedule. 8-o

One would expect this problem would have been detected and corrected ASAP but it's been going on for weeks, since the "upgrade" took effect. Don't recall having ever seen this problem with the old system.

AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby collective » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:43 pm

That isn't a bug, it is a feature.

Right?

I am sure that they will get all of the kinks worked out. I don't like the change, but will have to deal with it (and use the ca. in the URL).
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AdvRider » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Here's yet another unwelcome change to the new site.

The old site used to (and the Canadian site still does) show the score of a game in a rain delay, while noting the delayed status.

I go to check the score of today's Natinals vs. Mets contest and what do I find?

That the game is in rain delay... and nothing more, not the score I was looking for.

In fact, the score is tied 1-1, but the anti-upgrade Yahoo site leaves that data conspicuously absent.

AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby West » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

I have to laugh at several of the responses that I've seen here.

Constructive criticism is nice when you have a product out there that just needs a little tweaking to get it right. This is no time for constructive criticism. Yahoo's team went in this direction. Everyone knows it is terrible. Fix it, or go back to the old style. End of discussion.

White backgrounds work. Read a book on advertising. The eye is drawn to negative space. When you have a whole page of it, you can't find a single piece of stupid information. The format is terrible because humans' brains are not going to evolve to read a Yahoo player page. If they don't get that fact through their brains over at Yahoo, they'll have to face their own extinction.

It's fantasy Darwinism. Now go blah blah wah wah about why this thread is here and why I'm a jerk, or go fix the problem. I apologize to any brilliant engineers whose feelings were hurt by this post.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:56 pm

West wrote:White backgrounds work. Read a book on advertising. The eye is drawn to negative space. When you have a whole page of it, you can't find a single piece of stupid information. The format is terrible because humans' brains are not going to evolve to read a Yahoo player page. If they don't get that fact through their brains over at Yahoo, they'll have to face their own extinction.

There are certain instances in which light text on dark background works. For example, code editors. Staring at dark text on white backgrounds for hours can cause great eye strain. The opposite is also true. Decreasing the contrast between text and background would be more neutralizing on eye strain (i.e. light grey on dark grey-black). Also, light text on dark backgrounds tends to be more favorable for some visually impaired users (i.e. dyslexics) and for reading in dark environments.

Having a clear hierarchy of elements, a defined sense of space, and excellent usage of contrast are important factors to a good design. I would say Yahoo suffers from the latter two factors.

On the other hand, it's not an outright horrible design with a few design tweaks. Eliminating that unused right space by centering the content container to the right would be a start. A dark to transparent radial gradient against the stadium background motif to increase the contrast wouldn't hurt. They've made progress to the front page too with a darker grey-black background on news headlines. For quick bits of information, such a background isn't bad for scanning. Tweaking the player pages and team pages, let alone to redesign them would be a tougher ask.

What Genie said regarding redesigns several pages back is true. There tends to be little middle ground between people who don't like change and people who think the site needs a facelift. The previous incarnation of Yahoo Sports wasn't exactly a shining example of form following function either. It needed better whitespace and a cleaner layout, while managing to deliver as much information and presenting it in a useful, intuitive way. No small feat. The approach they've taken is a bit too bold than it needed to be, but it's not beyond salvageable either.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
West wrote:White backgrounds work. Read a book on advertising. The eye is drawn to negative space. When you have a whole page of it, you can't find a single piece of stupid information. The format is terrible because humans' brains are not going to evolve to read a Yahoo player page. If they don't get that fact through their brains over at Yahoo, they'll have to face their own extinction.

There are certain instances in which light text on dark background works. For example, code editors. Staring at dark text on white backgrounds for hours can cause great eye strain. The opposite is also true. Decreasing the contrast between text and background would be more neutralizing on eye strain (i.e. light grey on dark grey-black). Also, light text on dark backgrounds tends to be more favorable for some visually impaired users (i.e. dyslexics) and for reading in dark environments.

Having a clear hierarchy of elements, a defined sense of space, and excellent usage of contrast are important factors to a good design. I would say Yahoo suffers from the latter two factors.

On the other hand, it's not an outright horrible design with a few design tweaks. Eliminating that unused right space by centering the content container to the right would be a start. A dark to transparent radial gradient against the stadium background motif to increase the contrast wouldn't hurt. They've made progress to the front page too with a darker grey-black background on news headlines. For quick bits of information, such a background isn't bad for scanning. Tweaking the player pages and team pages, let alone to redesign them would be a tougher ask.

What Genie said regarding redesigns several pages back is true. There tends to be little middle ground between people who don't like change and people who think the site needs a facelift. The previous incarnation of Yahoo Sports wasn't exactly a shining example of form following function either. It needed better whitespace and a cleaner layout, while managing to deliver as much information and presenting it in a useful, intuitive way. No small feat. The approach they've taken is a bit too bold than it needed to be, but it's not beyond salvageable either.

Your rational and reasonable thoughts have no place round here. This is a place where bitching and moaning is classified as constructive criticism. This is the future thread where people will wonder, "hey, where did Guy Smiley go?" And be completely aloof as to why he no longer visits the Cafe. This, my friend, is not the droid you were looking for. There's no room on the soapbox for you. ;-7
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers