Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Knights » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 am

Guy Smiley wrote:In general comments like "it sucks" don't help. They may be true but there isn't much we can do with them. Comments asking for specific pieces of data to be displayed, where you would like to see them, examples of things you like as models, are all super helpful. They are specific and the team can take action on them. This doesn't mean everything asked for happens--you know that from Genie already--but you greatly increase your chance if you provide specifics.

One thing I'd like to see come back is a player's fielding stats by position, which used to appear in details on their Career Stats page. It would list the number of games they appeared in the field at each position and their defensive stats at that position.

While I never used that to study defensive stats, I did use it to determine a player’s position eligibility for the next season... I play in a keeper league, so I take next year's eligibility into account during trade talks, and also use it a lot in the off-season for draft prep work.

Under the new layout, the players fielding stats by position now appears towards the bottom of the player home page, but it only lists 1 position per player per season. For example, Brett Lawrie's player page lists his defensive/positional stats as only a 2B despite the fact that he only played 6 games there this season.

I am aware that under the Players header at the top of the Yahoo Baseball pages there is a line to "Position Eligibility," but that only shows if a player is eligible or not for the current season... not where he'll continue to hold eligibility for next season. For example, Mark Trumbo will not retain his 3B eligibility next season, but there's no way (as far as I know) to know that based on the Position Eligibility pages nor the new/updated player pages.

Not sure if I'm going to be in the minority in terms of my constant usage of positional eligibility research like this, but if's there's some way to re-incorporate it back into Yahoo I would find it very helpful!

Maybe even an addition (or sub-page) to the current Position Eligibility page where it can show not only an 'E' for positions where a player is eligible, but also list the number of games each player has played at each position in the current season. Maybe this wouldn’t be as big as a task, given that the table currently already shows the number of games played or started up until the point where the player meets eligibility criteria and the number is replace by a simple ‘E.’ Would there be a way to change it to ‘E (25)’ meaning that the player has eligibility has played a total of 25 games at that position in the current season? Then, in the case of Trumbo from above, his Position Eligibility at 3B for this season would read ‘E (1)’ to show that he’s eligible at 3B (based on last year’s games played), but that he’s only played 1 game at 3B this year so those of us in keepers can be aware that he won’t be 3B-eligible next season.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 am

TheTrith wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
TheTrith wrote:Exactly. This is what I alluded to a page or two back.
If they would have released the product to a test group first, and used their feedback (like Google, Amazon, and all other major internet sites do), Yahoo would have realized what a disaster the new interface was before it was pushed out to the entire population.
The real question Yahoo brass should be asking themselves is "how was this allowed to happen?"

The fact that they did or didn't have a test group has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, it's here to give aid, if possible, where it's needed let's keep it that way. ;-)

I honestly think it has everything to do with this thread. (Maybe my last sentence from above was not needed, Ill give you that much)
But Guy asked for feedback and ways they could improve their product.
We suggested that they test their major updates on test groups first, and then adjust as necessary before the official release. That would go a long ways towards fixing some of these issues before they even become problems.

However, suppose they did test on test groups first... Then this would just be going off track and not trying to get things improved.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

Postby bixo9 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

Guy, Genie -

When will the team begin taking requests for the development process for 2014 Baseball enhancements? On cafe again?

Extending the roster deadline from midnight PST to either the start of Monday's first game, or an individual player's first games would be a significant positive impact for weekly leagues! It's just not me begging for this numero uno request.

Thanks for the new NA spot. And looking forward to the old draft pick trading feature, next year.

Yeah, Yahoo has had unexpected issues, but overall the design is one of the best, and I love the mobile app.

BTW, it would be nice to see the player's total fantasy points on the mobile app's MATCHUP page just like on the mobile app's MY TEAM page.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am

bixo9 wrote:Guy, Genie -

When will the team begin taking requests for the development process for 2014 Baseball enhancements? On cafe again?

Just another opportunity to make sure everyone understands I no longer work for Yahoo! I'm finding it tricky to help and participate here while making it very clear that I'm not speaking for Yahoo!, so I want to reinforce this any time there seems to be confusion.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AdvRider » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Noon Eastern time Wednesday, fantasy stats / standings from the night before still not updated... as was the case a few days ago. I'm trying to win a couple of championships here, guys.... :-X :-?

EDIT: My post worked, the stats were updated within 15 minutes... LOL ;-D
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
TheTrith wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

The fact that they did or didn't have a test group has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, it's here to give aid, if possible, where it's needed let's keep it that way. ;-)

I honestly think it has everything to do with this thread. (Maybe my last sentence from above was not needed, Ill give you that much)
We suggested that they test their major updates on test groups first, and then adjust as necessary before the official release. That would go a long ways towards fixing some of these issues before they even become problems.

However, suppose they did test on test groups first... Then this would just be going off track and not trying to get things improved.

I asked that exact question several pages back and nobody answered so i assumed the answer was "no".
Anyway, the important part of that was that Yahoo listen to feedback from the test group and make changes BEFORE the official release.
Either way the testing procedures seem to be severely lacking or we wouldn't even be having this discssion.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby collective » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:12 pm

TheTrith wrote:I asked that exact question several pages back and nobody answered so i assumed the answer was "no".

Maybe they were just ignoring you. Getting ignored happens frequently.
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TheTrith » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:23 pm

No, I didnt say anyone ignored me. Genie and Guy have both responded to me directly several times.
Lets not get carried away.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:05 pm

collective wrote:
TheTrith wrote:I asked that exact question several pages back and nobody answered so i assumed the answer was "no".

Maybe they were just ignoring you. Getting ignored happens frequently.

Now that I'm not an employee there (have I mentioned I'm not an employee there?), I can clarify that I only remember intentionally ignoring one person during my tenure serving the Cafe'. That particular person, whoever it might have been, was acting in a way that gave me no reason whatsoever to want to help them, particularly given that it was not my job then (or Guy's job now) to participate here on the Cafe'. That person was not TheTrith.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:13 pm

TheTrith wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
TheTrith wrote:I honestly think it has everything to do with this thread. (Maybe my last sentence from above was not needed, Ill give you that much)

I asked that exact question several pages back and nobody answered so i assumed the answer was "no".
Anyway, the important part of that was that Yahoo listen to feedback from the test group and make changes BEFORE the official release.
Either way the testing procedures seem to be severely lacking or we wouldn't even be having this discssion.

My point was more that most of the people here on the Cafe' don't have vision into things like what testing was done, or what changes were made before any of this went "live". As a user that no longer works there, I'm not very happy with the way some of the changes have evolved. But as someone who knows and respects the engineers there, and someone who likes the generally constructive discussion that takes place here, it bums me out when the frustration starts to boil over, and the discussion swerves from actual observations that can be discussed and addressed into speculation which is often inaccurate. Make sense?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers