Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby wrveres » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:13 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:2. Trying to post something new, spend 20 minutes typing something, hit enter, red text - "Invalid Message ID". Lost everything. Gee, thanks.
Wile i agree you shouldnt have to, Yahoo messages boards have always been a bit buggy. I usually copy anything i post there, so i have a copy if it doesn't go through
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Okay guy smiley. Lets take this one step at a time. we have a few months till February.
We can fix this.

A) As was said by others, the sides are too busy. Why not stick all those links on the left into the newly installed Yahoo menu bar uptop. Maybe make it a mouseover type of thing.

B) The player team page needs some minor cleaning up. Thanks for bringing back the yearly/career stats. The player bio takes up too much space. Its too tall. Maybe move the bottom three lines, "Birthplace, College, Draft" over to the right hand side of the section. it would shorten everything by about half, and it would bring the relevant info, "Situational, splits, logs" at eye level.

C) The player notes should be in the right hand column, not some random news story. Heck include multiple "AP sources" or something, instead of just rotoworld. If you can only do rotoworld, lets see their last 3 or 4 blurbs.

D) Instead of "next game" showing only one game, why not show his next two weeks in a small calender style thing.

E) When i click on a team page, the first thing i see is the schedule and it takes up the whole page. I have to scroll down to see anything relevant. Right above this, there is a link that takes me to the schedule page. ? There should be some news blurbs here instead, and the depth chart/hot hitters type of thing below that. If you really want to show the schedule, it should be in a calender style. (Less space)

F) lastly, the schedule should at the minimum give us an option to view it in a monthly format.

edit: (F)continued. If you really want to make it snazzy, and useful, wink, wink. Have that monthly calendar from above show my starters from the league i just clicked away from .. But i dont want to get too far ahead. lets start with the eyesore first.

Like i said. Its a start. Itd be a nice start.
Im not going anywhere. Ive used Yahoo for over a decade, and ill be back nest season. These are just a few of the formatting things that'll help make my season more enjoyable.

cheers
william

vs...

Last edited by wrveres on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ayebatter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 am

On to football :-P nowhere on my team page does it list the players bye weeks (at least I can't find it).
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 am

ayebatter wrote:On to football :-P nowhere on my team page does it list the players bye weeks (at least I can't find it).
you mean other than week 1? :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ayebatter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 am

wrveres wrote:
ayebatter wrote:On to football :-P nowhere on my team page does it list the players bye weeks (at least I can't find it).
you mean other than week 1? :-)

Stick it :-[ - 5 points out of White/Miller sunk me !+)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby AdvRider » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:20 am

Guy Smiley, I hope Yahoo rethinks the team schedule pages. Below is the before (actually from the Canadian site) and the after for Seattle Mariners. The old format is so much more informative. Who won. Who lost. Importantly for fantasy, who got the save.

Moreover, the old format supplies more information in a single screen than does the new format. A lot more information, and it's easy to read and the calendar format is intuitive and understandable. With the new format, we have the repetition of the subject team's logo ... what, 27 times or something? Don't need that. Waste of space and annoyingly redundant.

The old format showed a full month at a glance on a single page with no scrolling. The new? Heh... not at a glance, you get like four or five games per screen. Your visibility into the information is diminished substantially.

I used the calendar function especially to size up the next several starts for a given SP. Thinking about picking up starting pitcher X, who does he face over the next three weeks? Done at a glance with the old calendar format. With the new format... ugh. What was a simple exercise has become tedious and difficult.

Rather than messing with an effective presentation, Yahoo could instead improve on the calendar format by incorporating pitching probables into the next several upcoming games.

Thanks for your attention.

AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Click on the Opponents tab; that is where the Bye week has always been available on the team page. It is an interesting question whether it deserves to be elevated so that it is always visible on the page; only so much real estate on that page, and lots of things the space could be used for.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:

Click on the Opponents tab; that is where the Bye week has always been available on the team page. It is an interesting question whether it deserves to be elevated so that it is always visible on the page; only so much real estate on that page, and lots of things the space could be used for.

;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby Guy Smiley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. MOst of the issues you raise are for the mlb pages, not fantasy. That said, I agree with a lot of the comments here. The team is working hard to get this better. Trust me when I say, they know this is not going over well.

I have copied and pasted several of the comments from this thread and passed them to that team. I work with them regularly and will try to provide updates when I have them.

In general comments like "it sucks" don't help. They may be true but there isn't much we can do with them. Comments asking for specific pieces of data to be displayed, where you would like to see them, examples of things you like as models, are all super helpful. They are specific and the team can take action on them. This doesn't mean everything asked for happens--you know that from Genie already--but you greatly increase your chance if you provide specifics.
Guy Smiley
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Guy Smiley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:15 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:What the heck is going on with the message boards right now? They're buggy as hell. Some problems I've had:

1. Same thing Trith is talking about. On the league page, under the "Recent Messages" heading it will show up with nothing; you have to click through to "view all messages" to see anything.

2. Trying to post something new, spend 20 minutes typing something, hit enter, red text - "Invalid Message ID". Lost everything. Gee, thanks.

3. Some messages show up as being posted by "A_Yahoo_User" and not the actual manager.

4. Formatting! I finally actually posted a message, and there are random carriage returns and the whole thing has shorter margins than the rest of the messages on that thread.

The most frustrating thing is that these problems are ALL intermittent. Like, I can literally refresh the page and sometimes it will show messages (problem 1) and sometimes it won't. The formatting thing is new; doubt that will be fixed with a page refresh. But the first 3 seem to go and go randomly.

This is REALLY not a good time for the message board to be going all screwy. This is the playoffs. Things should be running the most smoothly now. What gives?

This was frustrating. There were some servers added to our stack that were not playing nice wirth message boards. The behavior was consistent for all users. For some--like me--no issues. For others--like you--it was bad. We have fixed this now. Apologies for the errors.
Guy Smiley
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers