Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I retired from Yahoo!, and my last day there was a few weeks ago.
:,-(

its been down hill ever since
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannahann » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:11 pm

wrveres wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I retired from Yahoo!, and my last day there was a few weeks ago.
:,-(

its been down hill ever since

major understatement, careening off a cliff, about to burst into flames
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:11 am

Looking at a box score is now painful, it's going to be a hassle but I'll just have to open up another site just to see them while I still have teams active in yahoo. :-t
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby AdvRider » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 am

AdvRider wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:For football, the team page changed since I left. There is now a gear icon to the left of your team image/logo, and that edits team settings.

Just to be clear, I'm in "Ready to Draft" status in an Autopick league, so maybe the naming and image options will be available once the team is drafted and the team/league is live, I would imagine by morning. And maybe these steps were missing from the Autopick / public league registration process... but available in other leagues? Whatever.

To follow up.... as expected, my autopick football team was drafted overnight and indeed I easily found an option to change my team name from the automated default name that Yahoo applied with no user-control option during the registration process.

It appears, though, that no members of this league had the option to choose team names, or icon / images, during registration because what team names did I find this morning in the new league? None with images / icons....

Alan's Team
Danny's Team
Eugene's Team
JimboT's Team

And so forth, all the same -- person's name, possessive apostrophe and "Team." That is both laughable and sad.

Also very disappointed to find that the dreadful dark background with white text is in place for the fantasy football interface. UGH.

So now I have one fantasy football team in place, on Yahoo, and as planned I'm going to create a second team, but I'm going to try out another provider. Fifteen or so years of fantasy sports managing more than 100 teams and never used anything other than Yahoo. Time to see what else is out there, because Yahoo is going entirely in the wrong direction. :-t

The bungling of the team naming workflow further undermines my confidence in Yahoo's ability to deliver a quality fantasy experience, and calls into question what checks and balances, pre-release testing and QA processes the company has in place. It boggles the mind that Yahoo would risk and invite user dissatisfaction and churn by rolling out such a half-baked release. For heaven's sake, a superior user experience should be Yahoo's core competency! And yet look at the heat and volume of the user complaints on the Yahoo "user voice" sites like this one on football:

http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/20615 ... y-football

And look at the reply from Yahoo as seen on that page: "We are not done by a long shot..." Well, why roll it out if you're not done? Does Ford produce a car before it's perfected a new ABS braking system, to use an analogy? Instead, Yahoo seems to be following the Microsoft model, e.g., as with the disastrous Windows 8 -- throw crap on the wall and hope something sticks. Cart before the horse, bass-ackwards and so forth -- with most unfortunate results for both users and Yahoo.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 pm

AdvRider wrote:To follow up.... as expected, my autopick football team was drafted overnight and indeed I easily found an option to change my team name from the automated default name that Yahoo applied with no user-control option during the registration process.

It appears, though, that no members of this league had the option to choose team names, or icon / images, during registration because what team names did I find this morning in the new league? None with images / icons....

Alan's Team
Danny's Team
Eugene's Team
JimboT's Team

And so forth, all the same -- person's name, possessive apostrophe and "Team." That is both laughable and sad.

haha, this is funny. They're alternating between made-up autocreated team names:

Jim's Cool Team, Frank's Swag Team, Joe's Super Team, Leroy's Best Team, John's Optimal Team. Seriously, I'm not even making that up. So, so cringeworthy.

Buy hey, at least there are more people registering! You know, the demographic of people that are definitely going to pay attention to their team all season, despite being too lazy to fill out a single-page registration form consisting of their team name and email notification options.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby AdvRider » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 pm

So I get home 10:15 p.m. and it's time to check the baseball scores. I had the Canadian sports.yahoo.ca site, which uses the old design, open and boom there are the scores -- nice white background, plain text, clear data. Nice.

Then I go to sports.yahoo.com to compare against the new site and am struck by an ugly too busy interface with too many colors and light text on a darkish background that distorts and obscures what I'm looking for, which is data.

But wait... I say to myself... up top it says Saturday August 31 but what the page is showing me is games for tomorrow, Sunday. Ha another glitch (actually this happened earlier today). So OK, I say, let's try clicking "Next Day" which would be Sunday and see what we get.

The page reloads to say Sunday September 1 and what do I see displayed...?

The scores from Friday's games!

LOL LOL LOL great work Yahoo. :-t
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AdvRider » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Not to pile on, Yahoo, but geez -- no more real time auto-updating on the MLB scores page? Heh. Gotta manually reload to update the scores.

No more hover over "Players" from any MLB page to generate a little text entry box to enter name and bingo get to player page.

No more hover over "Teams" to generate a list of all teams.

Remove useful functionality, replace with unattractive un-user friendly aesthetic, nice. 8-o
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GRIN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Is there no way to contact Yahoo Fantasy Sports directly any more? I know about the Yahoo! Sports Help Community, but help there seems to be spotty. There's Guy Smiley, but that's more informal. I'm talking about the ability to send them an email or at the very least fill out a 'contact us' form online that they can reply to. Maybe I'm just missing it. Am I?
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bwanna » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 am

Help link at the bottom of the page, then 'Contact Customer Care'.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Wow, so against my better judgement I decided to sign up for another Yahoo Pro Football league because they are the only site that offers real money leagues.

On the sign up page you have to:
1. choose buy in level
2.choose date
3. choose time

Then it takes you to the payment page (Paypal did NOT work by the way, had to enter my CC info to get it to process), and when thats finished it brings you back to Yahoo.

And then after Yahoo takes your money you get a message that says "There are no more draft slots for the date you requested" and another that says "there are no more times open for the draft type you requested"
Why the **** doesnt Yahooo just show us which dates/times are open for the buyin we choose?
How incompetent do they have to be to take a payment for a product that is no longer available?

So now I paid for a league that I may or may not be able to draft for.
Yet another brilliant move by Yahoo.
Unfortunate that they went from one of the very best to the absolute worst Fantasy site in a matter of weeks.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers