Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby dannahann » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:19 pm

TheTrith wrote:Even if nothing else goes back to how it was before, please please please at least return the Team Schedule to the calendar format.
Having a list of dates to scroll through is pretty much useless. Its clunky and only fits a limited amount of data on the screen.
And now trying to determine which pitchers will get 2 starts in a week is just drastically more complicated than it should be.
Of all the changes that were made with this update, this one is by far the worst.
There is simply nothing positive about it.

That change is horrible for sure but I disagree that it's the worst. To me the worst changes are on the players pages. You can no longer see what hitter or pitcher has done for his career versus someone else. You have to go year by year now and hope the links actually work, they often don't. Your example and many others make it seem like YAHOO let us build a Ferrari of a team finally ready to win using a certain set of tools. Then when it's time to finally cash in on a multi year plan they snatch them away and say go paint that Ferrari you so carefully constructed with this pitchfork and box of melted crayolas. Shame on you for doing this in season yahoo. You are going to lose boatloads of loyal members regardless but you better apologize for dropping this duece on us at such a critical juncture of the season.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheTrith » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:29 pm

You're right, the player pages themselves are the worst part.
However I only access the team schedules from the player pages to view upcoming matchups etc, so I kinda lump them all together - now under the heading "Poop".
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:51 pm

If anybody is actually using Batter vs Pitcher splits, the fact that you're no longer able to may actually help you win. There's always a silver lining, I guess.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby byfrcp » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 pm

OHHHHH CANADAAAAA!

Type ca. in front of any Yahoo Sports link to view the old format. Not sure how long this will last but it's at least useable for now.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 pm

byfrcp wrote:OHHHHH CANADAAAAA!

Type ca. in front of any Yahoo Sports link to view the old format. Not sure how long this will last but it's at least useable for now.

;-D ;-D ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:34 am

byfrcp wrote:OHHHHH CANADAAAAA!

sweet.
i was getting really bummed having to turn to espn to research players
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby AdvRider » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:56 am

byfrcp wrote:I rarely come to this site anymore, but just had to today because I know the Genie still frequents around here.

Same here. ^^^^^

Genie, the new format is awful in so many ways. I know, I know, you want specifics but I'm simply too busy with work to detail every issue I've found with the site. Others are amply documenting the problems. Overall, the darkish background and white text is just dreadful. There's a reason why 99.9999999% of books newspapers magazines etc. are black text on white background -- BECAUSE IT WORKS. And now, Yahoo has increased the typeface size - it's TOO BIG -- so it takes me more time to digest less information.

One frustration in particular prompted me to visit the cafe today. I signed up for a fantasy football team. I've been playing Yahoo Fantasy Sports since '99 ... or was it '98? ... so I'm very familiar with the process, which always has included an easy straightforward step to name one's team. Well, that step was missing in my signup (for an autodraft public league, like I say I'm extremely busy, can't justify the time for live draft etc.).

Instead of the option to name my team, Yahoo named it as my username. OK, there's got to be a way to modify that, right...?...not that I could find! Edit Team, Team Settings, I forget exactly but nope -- no naming options!!! ARGH. Maybe it's there and I missed it...? but dang it if it's there it should be easy to find!

My team will be drafted in a day or so I expect and hopefully the name modification will then be clearly visible and easily done.

I've been a loyal Yahoo sports and email user for ~15 years. Coming on top of the almost equally bad Yahoo Mail "upgrade" from "Classic" ... I've been using the new Yahoo Mail for months now and continue to dislike it a lot ... this Sports / Fantasy revision really raises questions about what the heck is going on at the company and who's in charge of the user experience. Because it sucks! %-6

Back to work! Wasted enough time.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Just to be clear, since it sounds like a few posters here missed the memo: I retired from Yahoo!, and my last day there was a few weeks ago. So it isn't that "I want specifics", I'm just telling you that if you want any of your problems addressed, then you'll need to tell people what those problems are. Not just on the Yahoo! Fantasy Sports site, but in life heh... Guy Smiley has taken my place here as the eyes and ears of Yahoo! I'll confess I'm finding it tricky to be a useful voice in some of these discussions while trying to be really clear that I not only don't speak for Yahoo!, I really am on the outside at this point.

But yes, you can certainly change the name of your team. The changes to the registration flow happened before I left. I was nervous about them, but they really did wonderful things for the registration metrics, and there were *very* few complaints like the one you're lodging here. Far fewer than I anticipated. Most people rolled with those changes very easily, and they helped get new people into the game more reliably. For all games but football, it looks like you Edit Team Settings the same way you always have. For football, the team page changed since I left. There is now a gear icon to the left of your team image/logo, and that edits team settings. I'm not sure that's how I would have done it, but it didn't take me long to figure it out /shrug I would agree it could be better messaged; there is a new module on the league home that is meant to help guide people to the tools they might want to use. Perhaps there. But I don't think it is tragic the way it is now, either.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

Postby TheTrith » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:15 pm

So when you are on your team page and click the game score, it takes you to the gamecast...
where the hell is the link for the play-by-play?
was this really just eliminated?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby AdvRider » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:For football, the team page changed since I left. There is now a gear icon to the left of your team image/logo, and that edits team settings.

Happy retirement Genie, I did indeed miss the memo.

There's no gear icon to the left of my team image/logo. In fact, I have no team image/logo. I have one gear icon on my team page, for Account Info, Help and Suggestion. Along with the team name, the image / logo selection step was missing in my registration process.

Just to be clear, I'm in "Ready to Draft" status in an Autopick league, so maybe the naming and image options will be available once the team is drafted and the team/league is live, I would imagine by morning. And maybe these steps were missing from the Autopick / public league registration process... but available in other leagues? Whatever.

But face it, Yahoo really dropped the ball on the whole redesign. Besides the wretched aesthetic, what happened to career pitcher vs. batter splits? Available by year only now? This was NOT ready for primetime when key data like that goes the way of the missing sock. Those splits were quite useful for those of us who enjoy investing in particular games, for entertainment purposes only.

Rather than tanking what was a simple and elegant interface -- the most user-friendly on the market -- Yahoo should have put its energies into strengthening the stats it makes available, i.e. day/home, day/away, night/home, night/away pitching splits would be great.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers