Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:54 pm

they have totally screwed up starting pitches. yahoo profile page used to say when THAT pitchers next scheduled start was. now it just says when the TEAMS next game is.

UGH.

teams schedule page is all *---------- up too! where is the grid that looks like an actual calendar?!

damn yahoo! could you make anything else worse or is this it!?

*mod edit - you know better
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheTrith » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Dude everyone hates the new layout but take it easy on the outright cursing - some of us are at work!
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:08 pm

I actually edited what I originally wrote which had more swearing, so what I used there now is less. this is the proper swearing for the absolute garbage that yahoo is doing. this is ridiculous and needs to be changed ASAP. sometimes cursing and swearing is needed to get the point across.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm continuing to find things wrong with the new yahoo player pages.
you used to be able to search a players statistics batter vs pitcher for their total career. now you can only search for each specific season, no option for "career". what was that changed?

it's a shame when you have to go to another site's players page to look up statistics instead of yahoo.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheTrith » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 pm

http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/20615 ... y-football
So Yahoo opened a forum for feedback on the new football redesign (which is equally terrible and share many of the same "upgrades" as baseball) and this is their response:

We are going to close this post and ask if there are specific areas for improvement, please submit a new topic. While we will not be going back to the old format, we will be focusing on improving the readability of the pages, along with other improvements.
We appreciate how passionate you are about Fantasy Football and welcome your comments.
Thanks,
Yahoo! Fantasy Sports

So basically Yahoo asks us what its users want, everyone tells them to go back to the old design becasue it was 100x better and the new design is awful, and they respond by shutting down the thread? Awesome!
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 pm

TheTrith wrote:http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/206158-fantasy-football
So Yahoo opened a forum for feedback on the new football redesign (which is equally terrible and share many of the same "upgrades" as baseball) and this is their response:

We are going to close this post and ask if there are specific areas for improvement, please submit a new topic. While we will not be going back to the old format, we will be focusing on improving the readability of the pages, along with other improvements.
We appreciate how passionate you are about Fantasy Football and welcome your comments.
Thanks,
Yahoo! Fantasy Sports

So basically Yahoo asks us what its users want, everyone tells them to go back to the old design becasue it was 100x better and the new design is awful, and they respond by shutting down the thread? Awesome!

As someone who spent a lot of time taking feedback and responding to it, what they've done in that thread is actually pretty reasonable. They said to please submit topics for specific things that are wrong/could be improved. "Put it back" isn't really useful feedback, especially when half the world keeps saying "your interface is so dated" and things like that. "I hate it" is even less useful. So pointing out specific things that are not good (and there is actually quite a bit of that going on here) is great, because it gives them a chance to fix them and move the site forward. And maybe they even end up deciding the best way to solve the problems *is* to put things back. But just yelling at them (or any site/company) to just not change things is almost never going to work.

Keep in mind that every time anyone has ever redesigned any web page, people have screamed to put it back. People don't like change. But people also don't like when things stay the same for too long. I've always been a squeaky wheel, so I encourage that. But there is constructive squeaking and then there is just making noise. None of this involves my opinions on these specific redesigns; it is just reflecting the realities of trying to work on a site like they are.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 30)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:30 am

Thanks for responding Genie,

I understand the frustration of having everyone just shout and yell about something that obviously took lots of time and effort to complete.
But for Yahoo to release something official that says "even though everyone who uses our site wants X, there is no chance in hell we are going to do X" and then lock it up, just makes Yahoo look bad and makes people even angrier.

Also why was the update pushed so soon when there are obvious issues?
The load time and lag within the page are real problems, and the background/text issue seems like something that could easily have been foreseen as a negative.
FWIW I've only used the site in Firefox, so I have no idea if other browsers have the same lag problems.

Just curious, does Yahoo do any A/B testing with new layouts? Or push out the new update to all users at teh same time?

to finish my thought-
Keep in mind that every time anyone has ever redesigned any web page, people have screamed to put it back. People don't like change. But people also don't like when things stay the same for too long. I've always been a squeaky wheel, so I encourage that. But there is constructive squeaking and then there is just making noise. None of this involves my opinions on these specific redesigns; it is just reflecting the realities of trying to work on a site like they are.

While this is true, it is much better to have something new released when its 100% functional. Or at least much closer to 100% than what was just released, especially if its an in-season update.
If this new layout were to be pushed out when the fantasy baseball season ended (and in football before the pre-season began), there wouldnt be nearly as much controversy.

BTW I did post a point-by-point list of things that I immediately noticed, that could be improved upon or returned to the previous state.
Last edited by TheTrith on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hondo4mvp » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 am

Was there a point to what they did? Was it done to increase ad revenue? Do they want to get away from fantasy sports and are doing this to intentionally drive away users without completely alienating them towards Yahoo altogether? Is it because of management changes that don't understand the concept of loyalty? Drug abuse?

BTW-Thanks for all the hard work you put in in the good old days when it was usable(seems like only yesterday LOL).
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Even if nothing else goes back to how it was before, please please please at least return the Team Schedule to the calendar format.
Having a list of dates to scroll through is pretty much useless. Its clunky and only fits a limited amount of data on the screen.
And now trying to determine which pitchers will get 2 starts in a week is just drastically more complicated than it should be.
Of all the changes that were made with this update, this one is by far the worst.
There is simply nothing positive about it.

Now anyone who wants to look at a schedule that displays the information in a useful way has to actually leave Yahoo's domain and find a different page, likely with a direct competitor .
Which I'm sure is the opposite of what Yahoo wants.
Just baffling.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bixo9 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 am

Please post screenshots. It's difficult to understand the complaints without an image. I'm just user and really want to understand the gripes.

What's the best way to post an image? I don't see a feature to upload an image.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers