Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:33 am

Skin Blues wrote:He wants them to not change so he can plan his exploitations weeks in advance of the draft without having to modify his plan. This is an idea that benefits very few people.

Now, one thing I'd like to see, which would be a major overhaul so is not likely to happen, would be to have the standings page update in real-time. Basically I don't want to have to wait 5 minutes for StatTracker to load in a separate window. I know it's a minor thing but I check the standings every day, and I imagine a lot of people do, so it adds up over the course of a season. It's enough of a hassle to deal with stat tracker that I just completely avoid it most of the time. Maybe something to just keep on the back-burner for the future.

And I mentioned this a couple times earlier in the thread, but having conditional FAAB bids is important for a serious league. This is how I explained it last time:

Skin Blues wrote:If I want to add two players, I'd need to have the claims for the second guy be conditional. ie:

Bid $3 on Edwin Jackson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping Jake McGee
Bid $1 on Tommy Hanson dropping David Hernandez

And so on, for maybe a handful of guys I'd like to add. The way it's actually set up, I can only make one claim for Tommy Hanson. So if I want to bid on Hanson, I have to commit to dropping Hernandez. But I could very easily still have Jake McGee if somebody else outbids me on Edwin. I can't possibly imagine this is by design. Will it be changed any time in the near future?

This would be pretty easy to implement, and seems to have been an oversight when the system was designed.

re: the standings page updating
It is more of a performance issue. For any one person it would be easy, but in volume it would be a large challenge. But we like those; it is on The List, and something we'd like to get to

re: conditional FAAB bids
So at some point I *know* somebody on our side went to implement it. I really thought he was done. So when you raised it, I started doing homework to figure out what happened to that feature. But I got pulled back onto other stuff before I figured it out.

This is as good a place as any to note that I am again on vacation next week. So if you have any problems that need prompt attention, please go through our customer care channels.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 30)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby bixo9 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 pm

A couple of thoughts on Week 15 and the All Star break for weekly leagues.

1. The weekly 3 am PST deadline is 4 days before the start of the Friday post All Star games. Deciding on starting pitchers is very difficult. My suggestion, for next year, would be to allow managers to update immediately before the Friday post All Star games.

2. It's odd having a long interruption in Week 15. I would prefer the short All-Star week precedes a full week. In other words, All Star week is a part of and beginning of Week 16, not a part of and the ending of Week 15.

P.S.
I like how Yahoo combines this short week into a longer week for H2H. 3 days of baseball is too short for a H2H matchup.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 59
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North by Northeast

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby collective » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

bixo9 wrote:I like how Yahoo combines this short week into a longer week for H2H. 3 days of baseball is too short for a H2H matchup.


Been doing this for years.

bixo9 wrote: My suggestion, for next year, would be to allow managers to update immediately before the Friday post All Star games.


You questioning their coding skills?
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 18
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby bixo9 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:58 am

collective wrote:
bixo9 wrote:I like how Yahoo combines this short week into a longer week for H2H. 3 days of baseball is too short for a H2H matchup.


Been doing this for years.



I know it's been done for years. Providing positive feedback on the things that are done well is a good thing.
bixo9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 59
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North by Northeast

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby jnormy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:21 am

Wondering why the two players added to the Yahoo universe on July 19 -- Henry Urrutia and Junior Lake -- didn't go through the usual waiver process. Someone else grabbed Urrutia right away before I could, but I thought I'd have a chance to put a waiver claim on him. Why did these guys go right to FA status? (And to add to the mystery, Doug Bernier, who was added two days prior to these guys, is STILL on waivers.) What's going on?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1309
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:40 am

jnormy wrote:Wondering why the two players added to the Yahoo universe on July 19 -- Henry Urrutia and Junior Lake -- didn't go through the usual waiver process. Someone else grabbed Urrutia right away before I could, but I thought I'd have a chance to put a waiver claim on him. Why did these guys go right to FA status? (And to add to the mystery, Doug Bernier, who was added two days prior to these guys, is STILL on waivers.) What's going on?


Agreed. Henry Urrutia is an actionable event in my 20 team dynasty league. He was snagged a couple hours ago. Any way to fix this?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby TheTrith » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 am

So how does Yahoo determine which and when prospects are added to the system? (I'm talking about guys who have not yet debuted in MLB)
Tons of guys are in the data base who will have zero MLB impact this season, yet there are several big time prospects who are going to be up this year that are not available. Archie Bradley comes immediately to mind.

I would hope its not based solely on whether or not a player is on the 40 man roster, becasue this is fantasy. We dont give a crap about who is on or off the real life roster - we only care, and therefore Yahoo should only care, about when a given prospect will be in MLB.
Somebody in one of my league told me that was the case, but I really hope Yahoo uses much more sound reasoning than that.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 408
(Past Year: 126)
Joined: 19 Jun 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby daullaz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:13 pm

TheTrith wrote:So how does Yahoo determine which and when prospects are added to the system? (I'm talking about guys who have not yet debuted in MLB)
Tons of guys are in the data base who will have zero MLB impact this season, yet there are several big time prospects who are going to be up this year that are not available. Archie Bradley comes immediately to mind.

I would hope its not based solely on whether or not a player is on the 40 man roster, becasue this is fantasy. We dont give a crap about who is on or off the real life roster - we only care, and therefore Yahoo should only care, about when a given prospect will be in MLB.
Somebody in one of my league told me that was the case, but I really hope Yahoo uses much more sound reasoning than that.


As I believe Genie has said in the past, Yahoo doesn't have control over when players are added to the database. That's done by the stats provider with whom Yahoo contracts. So it's not like the Yahoo brass have a weekly meeting to decide whether it's the right time to add guys like Archie Bradley to their database. They just have to play with the cards they are dealt.
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4952
(Past Year: 83)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Babel

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby TheTrith » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:01 pm

In that case, perhaps they should pay for a new deck that isnt missing any aces?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 408
(Past Year: 126)
Joined: 19 Jun 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby collective » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:21 pm

jnormy wrote:Wondering why the two players added to the Yahoo universe on July 19 -- Henry Urrutia and Junior Lake -- didn't go through the usual waiver process. Someone else grabbed Urrutia right away before I could, but I thought I'd have a chance to put a waiver claim on him. Why did these guys go right to FA status? (And to add to the mystery, Doug Bernier, who was added two days prior to these guys, is STILL on waivers.) What's going on?


Exactly, why was Urrutia available immediately but not Lake?

Nice work...

:-t
collective
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 18
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests